Author Topic: Looking for ideas... help!  (Read 4097 times)

gellchom

Re: Looking for ideas... help!
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 02:21:39 PM »
Please please consider giving people refillable water bottles instead of bottled water.

I'd skip telling them that the photographer will do more photos for them at their own expense.  They can figure out to ask for that if they want it.  But you don't want to sound like you are advertising for the photographer.  Assuming this photographer uses a digital camera anyway, if someone asks them to take a separate shot, it won't waste film if it isn't bought by you or anyone else.  Just tell them that you will be taking a group shot and when, so they can dress for it and be on time.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 06:42:46 PM »
Lots of people bring flipflops, etc but you know what might be fun? To put some inflatables in each basket. You could to the same for everyone, or a random assortment:

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/4842477283352782851?client=Flamingvixen-a&hs=5OU&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=inflatable%20pool%20mat&spell=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45645796,d.dmg&biw=1366&bih=664&sa=X&ei=f154Ucq8FoWj4AOh1YCQBQ&ved=0CGEQ8wIwAQ

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=shop&q=beach+ball&oq=beach+ball&gs_l=products-cc.3..0l8j0i5l2.18987.20767.0.20985.10.8.0.2.2.0.140.702.6j2.8.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.products-cc.uBRcv-WYpFg

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/6153428834749828713?sclient=psy-ab&q=inflatable%20swim%20ring&oq=inflatable+swim+ring&gs_l=serp.3..0j0i5.19372.20146.1.20833.4.4.0.0.0.0.96.335.4.4.0...0.0...1c.1.11.psy-ab.12r_Ql4nt_s&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45645796,d.dmg&biw=1366&bih=664&sa=X&ei=yl54Ub0tyOLgA8K3gMAI&ved=0CG8Q8wIwAg

If there will be kids, or even just crafty folks, a nice detail might be to use a sandcastle bucket instead of a bag or basket:
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/11376701139614350513?q=sandcastle%20bucket&oq=sandcastle+bucket&gs_l=products-cc.3...88835.92259.0.92426.17.6.0.11.11.0.102.531.4j2.6.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.products-cc.rzzJFtEEebY&sa=X&ei=Ll94Uem2G_DC4APd-IDQDw&ved=0CF8Q8wIwAQ

Another IMO, very handy thing is a beach safe (personally I think the rectangle ones are better, especially in this day & age of key cards):
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=shop&q=beach+safe&oq=beach+safe&gs_l=products-cc.3..0.59934.61594.0.61835.10.7.0.3.3.0.187.737.4j3.7.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.products-cc.TnpsKOmmnGw#q=beach+safe&tbs=vw:l,p_ord:p&tbm=shop&sa=X&ei=eF94UaDEC4Xi4AOQ8YGACA&ved=0CGAQuw0oAg&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45645796,d.dmg&fp=6400e7303f64c1b1&biw=1366&bih=664
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 06:45:01 PM by WillyNilly »

Peregrine

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 10:25:58 PM »
If the tequila tasting is an actual activity you might include some hangover remedies  >:D

I love the idea of a refillable water bottle.  You might also want to toss in some wet wipes and ear plugs.  Cheap and disposable but always usable by someone.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 10:57:57 PM »
Please please consider giving people refillable water bottles instead of bottled water.

I'd skip telling them that the photographer will do more photos for them at their own expense.  They can figure out to ask for that if they want it.  But you don't want to sound like you are advertising for the photographer.  Assuming this photographer uses a digital camera anyway, if someone asks them to take a separate shot, it won't waste film if it isn't bought by you or anyone else.  Just tell them that you will be taking a group shot and when, so they can dress for it and be on time.

They may be in a country with non-potable water.   I prefer bottled because it fits in a purse better. 

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 11:01:01 PM »
I like the idea of an itinerary, but don't go overboard.  I would feel a bit put out if too many activities were scheduled and an obligation to attend.   Make sure people know they are optional. 

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2013, 10:39:28 AM »
You mentioned a tequila tasting so I assume the destination is somewhere in Mexico. 

Often, localities have specialties such as spice mixtures, sauces or soaps.  These aren't heavy to pack or transport home.  One or another of these would make a nice addition to the welcome package.  also, luggage going to a warm-weather destination is usually lighter than luggage going to a place like Iceland. 

I like the beach towel idea and don't think that a custom model with the dates of the gathering would reduce the re-use option.  They'd be easy to spot on a beach at home or see good service as a bath towel in the house.

Definitely follow the advice about the photographer.  This gives your guests a heads-up that they can have photos taken at their own cost.  the service may not be used much but it'd be nice to know that it could. 

The schedule of planned activities should certainly be sent to your guests ahead of time.  An RSVP enclosure with check-off boxes for 'Will' or 'Will not' participate can save you a lot of agita. 

Another question.  Are the people attending this gathering all about the same age or do they span
several generations?  That can make a big difference.

Finally, your plans sound wonderful.  We hope you and your guests all have a wonderful time.  Please post a report of how things went. 

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 12:12:59 PM »
Your event sounds lovely.

Since it is an all-inclusive resort I would assume it's pretty easy for them to grab water to take to their rooms. But if not, a refillable water bottle would be nice to have in their rooms.

Since snorkeling is on the agenda, how about putting in a disposable water proof camera? Fuji has one called a QuickSnap that is pretty good and I think waterpoof to 15-20 feet underwater.

GSNW

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2013, 05:13:46 PM »
You mentioned a tequila tasting so I assume the destination is somewhere in Mexico. 

Another question.  Are the people attending this gathering all about the same age or do they span
several generations?  That can make a big difference.

Yup, Mexico it is.  The resort should have lots of bottled water floating around... I really liked the water bottle idea but realized that it makes little sense to pour bottled water into another bottle... and no one will be refilling from the sink.

I got with the guy who does my field trip t-shirts and he can do some great towels for us with custom embroidery.  We picked a green-and-white striped beach towel (huge) with "Cabo 2013" in the corner with a palm tree.

As far as age range... my grandparents, who are both in their 80s, are coming.  Pretty much everyone else is in the 30-60 range, with a handful of kids 8-15.  I am going to assume the teenagers will want to be left alone as much as is reasonable because we are not cool enough to hang out with, and the under tens will need resting time. 

We also changed the plans a bit for the "big beach dinner."  I realized that the per head cost charged by the resort (which was a lot) would be better spent somewhere else.  We canceled the dinner and instead rented the resort's presidential suite, which has a full kitchen and formal dining seating for 20 plus smaller tables in the same room, bar seating, etc.... enough for everyone to sit and eat and hang out together.  This is more our speed than a fancy four-course meal.

So far, the itinerary is as follows:

Day 1 - Cocktail reception in our suite (evening)
Day 2 - Afternoon trip to the spa (pay your own way)
Day 3 - 3-hour snorkeling tour (pay your own way) Sunset cruise (hosted by us)
Day 4 - 4-hour kayak trip through the estuary (pay your own way), tequila tasting (hosted)
Day 5 - Celebration dinner (hosted by us)

None of the "hosted" events should be considered "mandatory" and I want to make sure the guests know this.  I just want to know if they're coming so we can plan accordingly.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2013, 12:02:39 PM »

Yup, Mexico it is.  The resort should have lots of bottled water floating around... I really liked the water bottle idea but realized that it makes little sense to pour bottled water into another bottle... and no one will be refilling from the sink.

That's what I was thinking about the water bottle. While it's a great thought conservation-wise, I was wondering where guests would get the water to fill the bottle.

I got with the guy who does my field trip t-shirts and he can do some great towels for us with custom embroidery.  We picked a green-and-white striped beach towel (huge) with "Cabo 2013" in the corner with a palm tree.

Yea! The fact that you chose a more generic branding (instead of your names and special event) adds to the probability that these towels will be used and remembered even after the trip.

As far as age range... my grandparents, who are both in their 80s, are coming.  Pretty much everyone else is in the 30-60 range, with a handful of kids 8-15.  I am going to assume the teenagers will want to be left alone as much as is reasonable because we are not cool enough to hang out with, and the under tens will need resting time. 

We also changed the plans a bit for the "big beach dinner."  I realized that the per head cost charged by the resort (which was a lot) would be better spent somewhere else.  We canceled the dinner and instead rented the resort's presidential suite, which has a full kitchen and formal dining seating for 20 plus smaller tables in the same room, bar seating, etc.... enough for everyone to sit and eat and hang out together.  This is more our speed than a fancy four-course meal.

So, are you planning on cooking for everyone? Or having the meal catered by the hotel? I'm picturing a buffet-type deal where people can nosh or not. Just curious about your menu.

The in-suite deal does sound more relaxing and informal. People can move about and mingle rather than be seated at a certain spot for 4 hours. I really like this choice. ;D

So far, the itinerary is as follows:

Day 1 - Cocktail reception in our suite (evening)
Day 2 - Afternoon trip to the spa (pay your own way)
Day 3 - 3-hour snorkeling tour (pay your own way) Sunset cruise (hosted by us)
Day 4 - 4-hour kayak trip through the estuary (pay your own way), tequila tasting (hosted)
Day 5 - Celebration dinner (hosted by us)

None of the "hosted" events should be considered "mandatory" and I want to make sure the guests know this.  I just want to know if they're coming so we can plan accordingly.

Agreed. As a hostess, you should want to know the number of guests for each event, so that you can plan accordingly.

Which is why I think sending out the itinerary and asking for RSVPs prior to the trip is important.

eta: even if it's a "pay your own way" event, you'll still need to reserve enough spots for those that are planning on attending.

GSNW -- I think that you are an awesome hostess . . . thinking about the comfort of your guests and planning in advance will make the experience something special and one that will be remembered by all. ;D
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 01:26:06 PM by jpcher »

GSNW

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2013, 05:30:25 PM »
I wanted to write up a brief update since our vacation has concluded!  We had an awesome time.  I got a small jellyfish sting on my arm during one of our snorkel trips, but it's so tiny it's more like a badge of honor than an injury  8)

In the favor bags, we wound up including the following:

-Large beach towel (the huuuge ones) with "Cabo 2013" and a flip-flop logo embroidered in the upper center of the towel
-Bottle of quality after-sun lotion (from Bath&Body Works, good stuff) that takes the sting out of any burns
-Coral Reef scented mini bottle of hand sanitizer (not sure what a reef should smell like, but it was good)
-For the women, a selection of yummy mini-candles that were all beach-themed smells
-For the men, a bar of soap made with real Corona beer (I found these at Vat19.com, very cool website)

Most people used their towels all week.  They were nicer than the resort towels, you didn't have to exchange a towel key to get them, and it was easier to spot members of our group since ours were all brightly colored and the resort just had white and gray striped towels.

We also gave out shot glasses at the tequila tasting.  I had them engraved with "To Infinity and Beyond" and a replica of a matching tattoo DH and I got a few years ago (very simple design). 

The activities were all really fun, low pressure and no stress, and we wound up having a very easy mix of people doing their own stuff and us all winding up having dinners together at night.  If anyone is planning a trip to Cabo San Lucas soon, I'd be happy to make suggestions via PM about a few of the tour outfitters we used and the resort we stayed at.  Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2013, 07:08:09 PM »
It sounds like an awesome vacation! It's good to hear that everything went well.

Thanks for the update. ;D