Author Topic: Hosting new parents  (Read 1956 times)

Carotte

Hosting new parents
« on: July 25, 2013, 11:25:48 AM »
Tomorrow will be the first time I might have to host a couple of friend and their new addition (he's less that two month old), during one of our groups get together.

I was wondering what should I prepare in advance or tell them when they get here.
Since there's no room in the bathroom I already planned on having a towel on the bed for a diaper change and offer the room as a quiet place for the little one to sleep if he needs (we only have a bedroom, a living room and kitchen, bathroom - I do hope the other guest won't go in the room* but I don't mind for him or for the parents if they need a few moments to themselves).

Since it's a get together and cook kind of thing there's free reign on the kitchen and fridge if they need to put stuff in it or plug and appliance or whatever, there's not really a notion of 'hosting' baring telling people where they can find the potato peeler.

Anything I could be overlooking?

*Not that I think my 'guests' are huge boars, but it's a small place and they were used to only having my SO live here, and he didn't mind people in his room when there were parties so that people could spread out. They are respectfull and all that but you never know. And closing the door for all the evening is not an option due to the heat.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
Re: Hosting new parents
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 11:33:14 AM »
Sounds pretty good to me.  You are a very thoughtful host!

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 11:37:24 AM »
Sounds like you have all the bases covered - just make sure there's an extra towel (in case of messes) and a trash can nearby, but otherwise it's great.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 11:42:13 AM »
If the mom is breastfeeding, she might also want to use the bedroom for that. Or she may be comfortable breastfeeding in public--people vary widely on this.

If you have a washer and dryer in your house, they actually make a very good changing table. The height is much more comfortable than a bed or the floor, and they are easy to clean. Just cover with a washable blanket or towel.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 12:39:08 PM »
Come up with a plan for diaper disposal (my current fave w/ kitty little: put it in a plastic grocery bag, twist the top all the way down to the item, and tie the long tail in a tight knot; toss it in the regular garbage). Reveal it early on, so the mom knows.

heartmug

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 06:51:54 PM »
Sounds like you have all the bases covered - just make sure there's an extra towel (in case of messes) and a trash can nearby, but otherwise it's great.

Yes.  I used to hate to carry out a dirty diaper and say "Where would you like me to throw this away?"
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 06:54:02 PM »
I think you've got it pretty well covered, too. Social functions are actually pretty easy (or were for me, IIRC) until the kid becomes mobile.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 06:58:35 PM »
I think you're wonderful for planning ahead. I do like the quiet room for baby and mom.

I would put some sort of plastic down under the towel -- a kitchen-sized garbage bag should suffice -- in order to protect your bed in case of leakage.

Oh Joy

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 07:18:36 PM »
Sounds good.  Only question - any pets?

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 09:37:07 PM »
You are a thoughtful hostess.

But if this is the couple's first child, my bet is that they bring pretty much everything they might even POSSIBLY need with them.  First time parents tend to think they need all their stuff no matter where they go. 

So it's likely they'll bring a diaper changing pad, some sort of "box" for the baby to sleep in (and hopefully he will do just that), and plastic bags, etc. for diaper changes. 

But be prepared that they also might haul in a small swing or jiggly seat, a Pack n' Play, and pretty much anything else they can jam into their trunk.  Just smile.  They'll learn that they don't have to pack up their whole house every time they visit someone for a few hours.  ;-)

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 11:16:01 PM »

But if this is the couple's first child, my bet is that they bring pretty much everything they might even POSSIBLY need with them.  First time parents tend to think they need all their stuff no matter where they go.

Hahah! This is kind of true. Not across the board, but probably for most people I know. We were like this. We crammed EVERYTHING into the car "just in case," for all but the very shortest visits.

Second kid? Eh. She needs a diaper and something to chew on that isn't rusty.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Carotte

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 06:55:08 AM »
Thanks every one, I'll keep everything in mind since it turns out the get together has been moved to another friends place.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 08:00:11 AM »

Hahah! This is kind of true. Not across the board, but probably for most people I know. We were like this. We crammed EVERYTHING into the car "just in case," for all but the very shortest visits.

Second kid? Eh. She needs a diaper and something to chew on that isn't rusty.

But that is still everything you need.   :)