Author Topic: I read this and thought of the 'Racist Laundry' story  (Read 2579 times)

nuit93

Re: I read this and thought of the 'Racist Laundry' story
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 01:18:07 AM »
I was just psyched when I discovered that Woolite makes a wash for darker clothes, to keep black and dark clothes from fading.

Or, as one of my friends calls it: "Woolite for Goths".

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 09:31:37 AM »
then I do as well! except living in an apt, i don't have my own w/d. The ONLY advantage to that is if there are enough free machines, I can do all loads at one time. Except it irks me that the dryer can ONLY be set for one hour, which is way too much time, even on delicate.
My solution to this was to stay in the laundry room, put the heavy stuff in a dryer first (jeans, towels, blankets) and check them at 30 minutes, removing anything that was dry. Once I got the load down below 1/2 a load, I'd add in lighter things (tshirts, single sheets, undies, etc) and let the load finish.

I would average about five wash loads every two weeks, and two, sometimes three dryer loads (balancing things like I did saved me $$ and time).

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 03:46:53 PM »
then I do as well! except living in an apt, i don't have my own w/d. The ONLY advantage to that is if there are enough free machines, I can do all loads at one time. Except it irks me that the dryer can ONLY be set for one hour, which is way too much time, even on delicate.
My solution to this was to stay in the laundry room, put the heavy stuff in a dryer first (jeans, towels, blankets) and check them at 30 minutes, removing anything that was dry. Once I got the load down below 1/2 a load, I'd add in lighter things (tshirts, single sheets, undies, etc) and let the load finish.

I would average about five wash loads every two weeks, and two, sometimes three dryer loads (balancing things like I did saved me $$ and time).

I'm too impatient to do that waiting thing :) - but I also usually have enough I can throw 2 loads in, then put those in the dryer while the second 2 or however many loads wash. when that's done, most of my first loads are dry are close to dry.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 04:29:56 PM »
Not laundry, but still possibly racist ...

My husband wears an eye patch.  He has several which are hand painted on black fabric.  The standard eye patch elastic is too short and too thin so it gives him a headache.  I replace the thin elastic with a wider elastic long enough to fit around DH's big head.  Naturally, I want to use black elastic.

I went to WalMart because they have the best prices in town on sewing notions.  They had all widths of elastic, but only in white.  I asked the sales associate where they have the black elastic.  She shrugged and said "black elastic?" like she'd never seen such a thing.

I could not resist; I replied, "Yes, black elastic.  It's racist to only stock white elastic."

She might not have realized I was joking. >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 04:38:17 PM »
We used the complex laundry room for 6 months, then bought a used washer and dryer. The complex laundry room was gross, the machines were full of hair and old lint, and we ended up taking a dusting wand in there every time before we would wash our stuff. Ick.

I wash everything on cold, and I use an oxygen booster in every load, with liquid scent and dye free detergent. Only linens get fabric softener. Every load gets a scent-free dryer sheet, since we are static city 365 days a year. I wash darks and brights separately from everything else. DS does his own laundry. DH likes to leave change in his pockets, and I make him do his own laundry too. I may run a load of laundry with bleach once a year.