General Etiquette > Family and Children

Kissing on the mouth

(1/6) > >>

Psychopoesie:
My SIL is accustomed to kissing family & close friends on the mouth when greeting or saying goodbye.

I'm more reserved - light kiss on the cheek for friends/family with kissing on the mouth reserved for romantic partners. So I tend to feel a bit uncomfortable when my SIL greets me.

My brother & SIL live a four hours away, so it's not like I see them that often. Does still bug me while I am visiting.

Nonverbal signals haven't worked so far and I've been reluctant to say something about what is essentially an affectionate and well intentioned gesture from a really lovely person. Compared to some of the IL issues people have, this is really minor.

Would still appreciate some tips on polite ways to ask SIL to please kiss me on the cheek, not the lips.

Thanks. :)

weeblewobble:
Treat her like you would an over-affectionate first date.  When she goes in for the mouth kiss, very deliberately present her your cheek.  If she protests that she wants some of that sugar, tell her that you're more comfortable with kisses on the cheek.

Personally, I don't blame you for being uncomfortable.  I don't kiss anyone on the lips but my husband. There's a level of intimacy there that outstrips the relationship that you share with someone that you only see a few times a year. Your level of comfort and your boundaries are just as important as hers. 

YummyMummy66:
I would just turn my head each time she tried to kiss me on the lips and she would get my cheek.    She should get the hint and if she says anything, I would just tell her, sorry, but that is not for me.  I only kiss romantic partners on the lips and since that is never happening, you get the cheek!

MrTango:
I'd gesture with my hand for her to not go in for a kiss, and if she's so dense as to not pick up on that nonverbal signal, just let her walk into your hand, keeping her at arm's length.

I don't do kisses (except with my wife), and I don't tolerate hugs from anyone outside my immediate family and closest friends.  What I'll do is offer my hand for a handshake.  If the person goes in for a hug anyway, my arm is already between us.

Venus193:

--- Quote from: MrTango on July 26, 2013, 08:15:04 AM ---I'd gesture with my hand for her to not go in for a kiss, and if she's so dense as to not pick up on that nonverbal signal, just let her walk into your hand, keeping her at arm's length.

I don't do kisses (except with my wife), and I don't tolerate hugs from anyone outside my immediate family and closest friends.  What I'll do is offer my hand for a handshake.  If the person goes in for a hug anyway, my arm is already between us.

--- End quote ---

I'd second this one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version