General Etiquette > Family and Children

Kissing on the mouth

<< < (6/6)

Redsoil:
Would it be possible, rather than kissing, that you pre-emptively give her a big hug?  You know the sort - big squeezy hug, slightly prolonged.  That way, you might avoid the kiss, but still give her the affection needed.

Otherwise, maybe a European-style double kiss - one on each cheek?  If all else fails, just take a quiet opportunity to mention that you love her, but you're actually more comfortable with cheek-kisses and you know she'll understand.  Just be quite matter-of-fact about it.

MamaMootz:
Is it wrong that I'm picturing Ross from Friends in that episode at their cousin's wedding with the aunt that always glommed on to him screaming "WHY IS IT ALWAYS ON THE LIPS?"

But that would be wrong.

I am uncomfortable with even hugging, so I'm glad that none of my relatives are lip-kissers. But if she's not getting the non-verbal hints, I'm afraid you are going to have to say something kindly, like you are more comfortable with cheek kissing - what Redsoil said.

Arrynne:

--- Quote from: weeblewobble on July 26, 2013, 06:27:48 AM ---Treat her like you would an over-affectionate first date.  When she goes in for the mouth kiss, very deliberately present her your cheek. 

--- End quote ---

This. My husband's grandma was a lip-kisser. I became very skilled at quickly turning so she got my cheek instead of my lips.

learningtofly:

--- Quote from: Arrynne on July 30, 2013, 02:30:21 AM ---
--- Quote from: weeblewobble on July 26, 2013, 06:27:48 AM ---Treat her like you would an over-affectionate first date.  When she goes in for the mouth kiss, very deliberately present her your cheek. 

--- End quote ---

This. My husband's grandma was a lip-kisser. I became very skilled at quickly turning so she got my cheek instead of my lips.

--- End quote ---

I became skilled at this as well.  DH's family was never a hugging/kissing family, but they saw that my family hugged and kissed on the cheek hello and goodbye.  When they started this practice I think FIL had spent years only kissing MIL (and therefore associated kisses with lips) and my husband's SIL and I spent a few years with awkward mouth kisses and then learning to turn really fast once we got past the initial shock.  Now we just don't hug or kiss any of the adults and everyone is happy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version