Author Topic: Applying for the same job as a friend  (Read 4048 times)

learningtofly

Re: Applying for the same job as a friend
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 10:12:54 AM »
The guilt can be hard to deal with, but the company and the candidates need to do what is best for them.  I"m lucky to have my job and I have a few friends out of work who would love my job.  It doesn't mean I'm ungrateful if I look for a new job.  It doesn't make me mean if I apply for the same position they do.  Just because they need it doesn't mean they're the best one for the job.  Small towns make this harder, but everyone needs to pretend there are hundreds of applicants and they are all strangers.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 10:32:57 AM »
I can understand feeling a little jealous of the other person if they get it, but it's not a popularity contest, it's a job.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 10:39:35 AM »
The company also has needs: they need the best candidate, the one best suited for the job.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

DavidH

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2013, 02:46:55 PM »
I don't think it's rude at all.  The company will hire who they think is best (hopefully).  A company that hires based on who they think needs the job rather than on the candidate's merit will likely not be in business for long.  It's like being up for promotion at work; should you decline a promotion if you think that another person needs it more than you do?

The only potential situation where it might be rude is if you know you don't want the job and wouldn't take it, but just want to do a practice interview or something like that.

To me, it's pretty high on the SS list to say to someone, you shouldn't apply for the job since I want it.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 04:06:46 AM »

It's also worth noting that even if your brother withdrew his application to give his friend a chance, there is no guarantee that the friend would actually get the job - it could easily go to a third party. So withdrawing could easily hurt your brother, but have zero effect on his friend.

Jocelyn

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2013, 10:08:10 PM »
It's a safe bet that any time you apply for a better job, you're competing against someone who really, really needs a job. Knowing who that other person is doesn't make one's own application rude; it's just that we don't think about the disappointment of the unsuccessful candidates when we get the job we applied for!