Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

Keeping burgers warm?

<< < (3/3)

Arila:
We usually put the onion soup mix IN the burgers, but I wonder if it wouldn't be a good substitute for the beef juice AROUND the burgers while waiting to be served? :D

jpcher:

--- Quote from: arila on September 11, 2013, 05:40:21 PM ---We usually put the onion soup mix IN the burgers, but I wonder if it wouldn't be a good substitute for the beef juice AROUND the burgers while waiting to be served? :D

--- End quote ---

Putting the mix IN the burgers incorporates the flavor throughout the meat.

Just adding it to some water? AROUND the burgers? will only coat the outsides. The onion flavor will not penetrate to the center of an already cooked burger.

The idea of the juice is to keep the burgers from drying out, not to flavor the meat. Using au jus, broth, even coke does add to the topical flavor soooo much better than keeping your burgers warm in plain water.

I love onion-soup mix burgers. Please keep adding the mix to the meat before cooking.

Adding a pack of the mix to whatever juice you decide to keep the burgers warm in, it will enhance, incorporate and bring out the flavor of the burger.

cicero:

--- Quote from: Layla Miller on July 27, 2013, 11:32:50 AM ---Burgers were partly because a bunch of sales aligned that made it fairly inexpensive to buy supplies for a largish group of people.  DH isn't as much about socializing with guys as not wanting to miss half of his daughter's first birthday party.  Depending on how many people will be there, we'll see how early he needs to start cooking them.  We're going to have other stuff like hot dogs (kept warm in a crock pot), so this won't be the only meat there.

The Coke idea sounds interesting.  I'll see what DH thinks about it.

Thanks again!

--- End quote ---
if that's the only reason, how about somethign else that uses chopped meat like sloppy joes, spagehetti and meatballs, bolognaise - all things that do fine with longer cooking/warming.

Layla Miller:
Thanks for all the ideas, everyone!  I realized I should update this since the party was a month ago.  We went with putting them on a metal rack in a 9 x 13 pan with the broth underneath them, then covered it with foil before putting them in the oven.  They tasted just fine, and only had to sit in the oven for about half an hour.  Thanks again!  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version