Author Topic: What is on your kitchen bench?  (Read 3149 times)

Faerydust

Re: What is on your kitchen bench?
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2013, 02:06:39 AM »
We don't have a real kitchen in our cottage. There is no kitchen sink or stove so any real cooking has to be done in the main house. So in our "kitchenette" we have a microwave, blender, and Keurig and that counter also holds various items like a few mugs, cups, bowls, silverware, pill bottles, boxes of my k-cups. It's pretty small and cluttered. When we get our own place it MUST have lots of kitchen space!

Isometric

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2013, 02:15:54 AM »
It's a bench for me! I think I sometimes say counter, but think of it more as in restaurants ("please order and pay at the front counter")

Electric Kettle
Mortar & Pestle
Coffee, tea & sugar canisters
Salt and pepper grinders
Fruit Bowl
Microwave

Thermomix is the latest "it" appliance (here in Australia anyhoo). Those who have them swear by them, those who don't get by just fine!

crella

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2013, 04:14:58 AM »
I have counter top along one wall, and an island. From right to left on the counter, microwave with the toaster oven over it on a rack, then the sink, on the other side my kettle and my Kitchen Aid mixer then the gas stovetop and on the other side of that oven mittens, trivets and a pretty tray up on hooks and a container of my most-used tools. On the island are my cutting boards and the coffee machine (some behemoth of a thing DH bought). I dislike taking appliances out to use them so they're all out.Everything else is in the kitchen drawers, it's one of those kitchens with deep drawers for dishes and cups etc.

WestAussieGirl

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2013, 05:18:35 AM »
Toaster, kettle and Thermomix as far as appliances go. I also keep out the wooden chopping board, a knife block and a utensil holder with my most used utensils such as tongs and wooden spoon (I could actually probably throw out all the ones in the drawer).

What is a Thermomix?

I was going to ask that myself, so Googled it: http://www.thermomix.com.au/.  Those things do everything a food processor and blender would do, plus it somehow cooks.  I wish we had that in the U.S.

I'm surprised you don't have them They started as professional kitchen appliances. They aren't cheap though, you are looking at $2000 for one so they are a serious investment.

My bench has a bread bin (in the tiny space between the fridge and sink that us useless for anything else), knife block, DH's coffee machine (too big and not really suitable to be taken in and out of cupboards) and a holder for utencils.

The kettle and toaster live in a special shallow cupboard that opens up onto the bench so they are kind of always out but easily hidden. It has an awesome little shelf at the top just the right size for mugs and the sugar bowl.

The woman who brought them into Australia is mega-rich now so if they aren't already in the US it might be a great business opportunity for someone. They are huge here. I use mine at least twice a day which is the reason I don't put it away.

kckgirl

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2013, 05:51:27 AM »
Would a Vitamix be similar to a Thermomix? You can get those in the USA.
Maryland

WestAussieGirl

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2013, 06:05:02 AM »
I haven't seen a Vitamix so did a quick Google. Different look but very similar functions.

BigBadBetty

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2013, 07:55:34 PM »
Would a Vitamix be similar to a Thermomix? You can get those in the USA.

A Vitamix is not nearly as cool as a Thermomix. A Vitamix is just a nice blender and a lot cheaper. I just got one a few weeks ago. I had never heard of a Thermomix until this thread. Now, I really want one. I am in the U.S. Apparently, I could get one in Canada (if I had the money).