Author Topic: Bruce Willis and His Interview  (Read 6238 times)

AngelicGamer

Re: Bruce Willis and His Interview
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 08:04:01 PM »
I think the difference between the barista and Bruce Willis is that the barista gets to go home at the end of an eight to ten hour shift.  From what I understand of these junkets (and the reason why I decided not to become a movie star) is that they are day long, very little breaks, and very much being on all the time.  And then the celebrity doesn't really get to go home at the end of the day and relax, there's something else to do.

So, I take his rude with a grain of salt.  Like I take with a grain of salt the barista that doesn't smile at me because he may have been there since six or seven in the morning and I'm coming in around 1 in the afternoon.  The reporter should have rolled with his grumpiness instead of making an awkward interview.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 11:14:41 PM »
You think that was hostile?  I think it was a dry sense of humor with a small side of snarky in some instances.  I mean you can obviously tell he's bored and doesn't want to have to act excited about these things anymore, but I don't think that's even close to being hostile.

I agree with Audrey Quest in that the interviewer wasn't very perceptive; he kept trying to push his excitement on the actors instead of trying to pull it from them.  It was like he wanted to have a one sided conversation about his feelings on the movie instead of rolling with what the actors said and pulling information from that.

If it were a private conversation, I would say he was just bored. But he's doing his job here, and so is the interviewer. The interviewer cannot just say, "oh, you're clearly not interested. Let's call the whole thing off." Making it impossible for a young person without any control over the situation to do his job is rude. If Willis didn't want to do an interview, he shouldn't have agreed to one n the first place,

I didn't say Bruce Willis wasn't rude; I said he wasn't hostile.  I don't necessarily blame him for being short and snarky; it's understandable but still rude.  I also don't think the reporter did anything to make it better; he only made it worse.  To me it comes across as the reporter being incredibly inexperienced.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 12:17:44 AM »
For me the issue is the power imbalance.  Bruce Willis is allowed to be rude and snarky to the interviewer with no consequences.  But the interviewer cannot act that way towards him.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 12:38:09 PM »
Mental Magpie wrote:

"I also don't think the reporter did anything to make it better; he only made it worse.  To me it comes across as the reporter being incredibly inexperienced."

This is the thing that struck me, and the thing that gives Mr. Willis some excuse in my estimation.  I've had to work with people who didn't know what they were doing, and while I do my best to maintain a professional attitude it can be incredibly frustrating when someone is so bad at it that they interfere with my ability to do my job.  Mr. Willis may be in a position where some fanboi interviewer is just one too many for the day, and it showed.  It's not a complete excuse, because as others said it's his job to give these interviews, but I can certainly understand his attitude.

PastryGoddess wrote:

"For me the issue is the power imbalance.  Bruce Willis is allowed to be rude and snarky to the interviewer with no consequences.  But the interviewer cannot act that way towards him."

That's the price that Mr. Edwards pays for parlaying someone else's fame into personal gain.  People didn't tune in to hear Jamie Edwards, they tuned in to hear Bruce Willis, so it's Mr. Edwards's job to do the best he can with that.  If he doesn't like that imbalance, then he shouldn't be interviewing people more famous than him for a living.

Virg

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 03:57:52 PM »
Mental Magpie wrote:

"I also don't think the reporter did anything to make it better; he only made it worse.  To me it comes across as the reporter being incredibly inexperienced."

This is the thing that struck me, and the thing that gives Mr. Willis some excuse in my estimation.  I've had to work with people who didn't know what they were doing, and while I do my best to maintain a professional attitude it can be incredibly frustrating when someone is so bad at it that they interfere with my ability to do my job.  Mr. Willis may be in a position where some fanboi interviewer is just one too many for the day, and it showed.  It's not a complete excuse, because as others said it's his job to give these interviews, but I can certainly understand his attitude.

PastryGoddess wrote:

"For me the issue is the power imbalance.  Bruce Willis is allowed to be rude and snarky to the interviewer with no consequences.  But the interviewer cannot act that way towards him."

That's the price that Mr. Edwards pays for parlaying someone else's fame into personal gain.  People didn't tune in to hear Jamie Edwards, they tuned in to hear Bruce Willis, so it's Mr. Edwards's job to do the best he can with that.  If he doesn't like that imbalance, then he shouldn't be interviewing people more famous than him for a living.

Virg

Excellent points!

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2013, 07:56:08 PM »
Mental Magpie wrote:

PastryGoddess wrote:

Virg

True but Mr. Edwards has much more to lose than Bruce Willis does.  Bruce Willis could get up and walk out of that interview if he wanted to without affecting his livelihood.  If the journalist had done the same, he probably would have been fired and would have had a very hard time finding another job in his industry.

Just because his occupation is journalist, doesn't mean that it is ok to be treated like a verbal punching bag. 

Library Dragon

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2013, 10:58:17 PM »
Bruce was not excited and that interviewer was not very perceptive.  If he had rolled with Bruce's devil may care attitude he would have gotten a much more memorable interview and not have been so a awkward.  He should have tossed back the same devil may care attitude instead of coming off like Chris Farley's superfan.

Basically the stars just sit in that same little room while interviewers and their people file in and out over and over again.  I'll bet someone did something to offend Bruce and so he didn't care if they got a good interview or not.

Typically, the interview would be edited so that you don't see that it was awkward.

True.

I wish I remember where I had seen a series of these interviews with George Clooney.  What came out was a few reporters asking him nasty, hostile, personal questions in order to get him upset.  The point was to get the "money shot" of him loosing his cool. 

Willis could have been having a bad day and been needlessly rude.  Or, perhaps something that took place before the formal interview took place. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2013, 11:13:50 PM »
Edwards was dreadful.

Halting, almost stuttering, poor questions, stating the obvious, and it was hard in some cases to understand what the heck he was asking. If you want to roll with highly paid professionals, you'd better sharpen up your skill set first.

I didn't see any real hostility, I saw some dismissivness by Willis for the poor quality of the interview.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2013, 11:35:38 PM »
Mental Magpie wrote:

PastryGoddess wrote:

Virg

True but Mr. Edwards has much more to lose than Bruce Willis does.  Bruce Willis could get up and walk out of that interview if he wanted to without affecting his livelihood.  If the journalist had done the same, he probably would have been fired and would have had a very hard time finding another job in his industry.

Just because his occupation is journalist, doesn't mean that it is ok to be treated like a verbal punching bag.

No, but if he wants to be a journalist, he needs to learn how to interview.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2013, 09:03:50 PM »
I think the difference between the barista and Bruce Willis is that the barista gets to go home at the end of an eight to ten hour shift.  From what I understand of these junkets (and the reason why I decided not to become a movie star) is that they are day long, very little breaks, and very much being on all the time.  And then the celebrity doesn't really get to go home at the end of the day and relax, there's something else to do.

Yeah, that's the reason I decided not to become a movie star either.  ;) 

AngelicGamer

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2013, 10:20:38 PM »

Yeah, that's the reason I decided not to become a movie star either.  ;)

Probably should have said one of the reasons.  lol!  But yeah, I can take the long days of retail - I have a way of just pasting on a smile and getting through rushes - but being on all day, into the night?  No, no thank you.  My double for the release of Deathly Hallows nearly killed me, even with two hour long breaks.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2013, 09:08:21 AM »
You think that was hostile?  I think it was a dry sense of humor with a small side of snarky in some instances.  I mean you can obviously tell he's bored and doesn't want to have to act excited about these things anymore, but I don't think that's even close to being hostile.

I agree with Audrey Quest in that the interviewer wasn't very perceptive; he kept trying to push his excitement on the actors instead of trying to pull it from them.  It was like he wanted to have a one sided conversation about his feelings on the movie instead of rolling with what the actors said and pulling information from that.

If it were a private conversation, I would say he was just bored. But he's doing his job here, and so is the interviewer. The interviewer cannot just say, "oh, you're clearly not interested. Let's call the whole thing off." Making it impossible for a young person without any control over the situation to do his job is rude. If Willis didn't want to do an interview, he shouldn't have agreed to one n the first place,

Agreed. Willis was a jerk.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2013, 03:26:34 PM »
Twik wrote:

"If Willis didn't want to do an interview, he shouldn't have agreed to one n the first place"

I don't think this is necessarily fair.  As the comments above show, I'm not the only one who thought that Jamie Edwards was out of his league in this interview, and in not knowing his own limits he put Bruce Willis in a bad situation.  Sure, Mr. Willis agreed to do the interview, but once he was in it and discovered how inept Mr. Edwards was, I can certainly find some sympathy for his sour attitude.  It's entirely possible that he'd have been more engaged and pleasant if Mr. Edwards had been better at doing his job.

In short, I do think that Mr. Willis was responsible for his bad behavior, but I also put some of the blame on Mr. Edwards for biting off more than he could chew.

Virg

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2013, 05:54:10 PM »
You don't get to be rude to a waiter if he is young and inexperienced. I'd say th same thing applies to interviewers.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2013, 07:43:42 PM »
You don't get to be rude to a waiter if he is young and inexperienced. I'd say th same thing applies to interviewers.

No, but it's understandable that you would quickly lose your patience, especially if this was the nth waiter you'd experienced that day who wasn't quite up to par.