Author Topic: Bruce Willis and His Interview  (Read 6542 times)

Virg

• Super Hero!
Re: Bruce Willis and His Interview
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2013, 10:32:21 AM »
Twik wrote:

"You don't get to be rude to a waiter if he is young and inexperienced. I'd say th same thing applies to interviewers."

I agree with this, and I did say that Mr. Willis is responsible for his behavior, but I'm willing to give him some latitude in this because I didn't see it as an example of elitism or purposeful snark.  I don't see it as an example of someone mistreating another person because he feels superior, I saw it more as someone who was having a bad day and let his irritation get the better of him, much as I could see someone getting irritated with a waiter who was called back to the table to fix his fourth mistake.  We all strive to maintain our class and dignity in these situations, but even the best of us fall short at times.

Virg

oogyda

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2013, 10:33:01 AM »
I think the interview started out on a bad note when Edwards said something like "At least that proves I've seen the movie." and seemed to be expecting praise for it. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Cami

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2013, 01:08:00 PM »
 I'm sorry, but I really cannot find it within me to feel sorry for obscenely well-paid entertainers who have to work a long day. Even if part of that long day is dealing with people who aren't the best at their jobs.

That's life. Get over yourself.

The cleaning lady here at work, Linda,  has a 16 hour day EVERY DAY. She works two jobs to support her family. Minimum wage. No benefits. She's looking at a LIFETIME of this schedule, with no vacations, no retirement.  EVERY DAY she needs to get up and plaster a smile on her face and pretend it's just grand taking your order at the restaurant and then no matter how tired she is, she comes here and cleans and has to be polite. EVERY day she deals with people who are putzes and treat her like crap because she's a waitress and cleaning lady. EVERY day. For minimum wage. 

Bruce Willis could quit acting today and live like a king for the rest of his life. He's no doubt treated like a king on set.  And he can't suck it up and deal with it on a press junket? Too bad, so sad.

How about he trade a year in his life with Linda and then let's talk about attitude adjustment.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2013, 01:48:24 PM »
There's always someone somewhere who has it harder than anyone you can point to, so forbidding someone to make a very human mistake because they make more money than you consider reasonable isn't a good attitude to take.  Take note that your concept that you can't find any sympathy for Mr. Willis probably also extends to yourself, unless you're also working two minimum wage jobs with no end in sight.  And me, and most of the other posters here, I'd guess.  Does nobody who's doing better than Linda deserve a break for a faux pas?

Nobody's perfect.  Mr. Willis's bank account balance doesn't change that.

Virg

Miss Unleaded

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2013, 07:25:25 AM »
Ouch, I'd say the hostility was oozing right out before he even started to speak. His body language is signalling trouble from the start.

I'm not sure what his issue was. Yes, he's doing sales for the movie. That's his choice, and part of why he's paid more than most of us will make in a lifetime for one movie. The interviewer is doing his job, by asking him about the movie.

If Willis feels he's above these types of interviews, he shouldn't schedule them, not go and be snarky to the interviewer who is part of the system that makes Willis a star. If he doesn't like it, he should stop making feature films.

I presume there's a backstory here why Willis so clearly did not want to be there.

Definitely rude, and bordering on hostile as well.   :(  The interviewer was doing the job badly but Willis made the whole scene a lot worse with the 'I'm too good for this' attitude.  It's a shame because I'd always thought he'd be a really nice guy in person.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 07:27:03 AM by Miss Unleaded »

Corvid

• Etiquette Hell Thread Assassin Squad
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2013, 07:57:33 AM »
I would say that, at the very least, Willis was unpleasant and unkind and his attitude during the interview comes off as a <censored> move.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2013, 10:51:17 AM »
I agree with Virg that no one's perfect. However, at the same time, this doesn't mean we can't say that Willis's behaviour was poor. Hopefully, it was just the result of a long, stressful day for him, and not a standard attitude.

I wonder if he was hungry? I know my hostility quotient ramps up and my patience goes down when I'm really hungry. (Yes, I'm just like the guys in the Snickers ads.)
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."