A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Vintage stories available for the iPad

<< < (4/4)

peaches:
A lot of Oscar Wilde's work is available free. His plays (The Importance of Being Earnest, Lady Windermere's Fan, An Ideal Husband) and The Picture of Dorian Gray, for example.

I love An Old-Fashioned Girl by Alcott. I have a copy of the book that was owned by an aunt of mine when she was a girl. Polly, the main character, is very modern in some ways. She has feminist friends, she supports herself as a music teacher, and she turns down the prospect of a wealthy husband. It's syrupy in the manner of all of the books Alcott wrote with children in mind. But it makes good reading. It gives a glimpse into a different time.

The Wild One, Forever:
I remember reading the original Pollyanna books my grandma had when I was a kid.  There was also a series called "Honeybunch", which my namesake aunt had given my mom when she was a little girl.  I hadn't seen those books in years, but I talked to a cousin recently, and evidently, they found those books and more in boxes in a closet at grandma's former home.  (My cousin's mom had inherited the house when grandma died.)  I enjoyed all those series immensely when I was a child.  One of my clearest memories is being sick, (My siblings and I all contracted mumps, chicken pox and scarlet fever one summer),  and my mom bringing me Honeybunch books to read while I recuperated.

Being that those books are my mother's, I should really request they be returned to her. 

I am one of the only people I know who has no e-reader, but I would love to see what old stuff is available now. 

Edit:  Found it!   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_Bunch

Arrynne:
I downloaded the Patty Fairchild books off of Amazon (Free!!)   My grandma read those when she was a child, and I remember reading them at her house. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version