Author Topic: Dealing with verbal abuse Daneen Skube  (Read 2971 times)

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
Re: Dealing with verbal abuse Daneen Skube
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 04:44:50 PM »
No one has the right to verbally abuse another person.  I actually think the advice she gave was wishy washy because if the letter writer is to the point of becoming physically ill at the thought of being around this person, it is time to escalate getting a response to it and if not I would walk off the job.

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 04:55:29 PM »
I would just record his tirade.  Then, when he ran out of steam, play it back for him right then and there.

I would say nothing, just let his own words speak for themselves.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 05:32:21 PM »
Although the advice to know what you want out of a situation is good, I don't agree that what the LW wanted was information about projects. She wants to do her job without being verbally abused.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 05:46:31 PM »
I think Daneen's advice was too wishy washy. The LW should be going to HR if her supervisor won't help her. NO ONE deserves to be verbally abused and she needs to file a formal complaint. She tried going through the proper chain of command, and it didn't work. Time for HR to get involved and for the LW to document.
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

SheryllJane

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 06:46:26 PM »
I wonder if she is trying to teach readers how to let the abuser "own" their own issue, by shifting to email and removing the audience, without a direct HR response, which might be dangerous to the reader's career.

aussie_chick

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 04:24:51 AM »
I agree with Daneen's response but I don't think that's all there is.

I think absolutely asking for communication in writing is one point.

Second point is documenting for themselves the times abusive CW has approached them and as many direct quotes as possible, including date and time (creating evidence)

Third point, if this occurs in the presence of others (open plan office environment) is to state firmly and clearly "do not speak to me like that" and walk away

Fourth point, talking to a medical professional about the issues and getting medical certificates if days off are to be taken - again creating a paper trail and also preventing the Op from being blamed for being unreliable etc and perhaps getting a warning, or their job being at risk.

Fifth, when Manager says "you have to work harder to get along" present manager with all dates/times/evidence/quotes and formally request action be taken. If manager says no, take it to HR, higher manager, CEO, or even Board if there is one. Preferably in email creating a paper trail.

Finally, I don't know how industrial relations legislation works where this letter came from, but having a basic understanding of Australian IR/HR legislation, this behaviour is bullying and the company could be liable if the are made aware of an issue and refuse to take action (even offering mediation if they really believe there are 2 sides to every story) and could face hefty compensation claims and significant risk to reputation

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 04:25:49 PM »
This is a duplicate of your other thread.  Please do not start multiple threads on the same topic.