Author Topic: Calling in Sick w/ TOO MUCH information!  (Read 9548 times)

Jocelyn

Re: Calling in Sick w/ TOO MUCH information!
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2013, 02:22:36 PM »
Hi All,

Most people leave call-in messages that go something like "I'm not feeling well and will be staying home today" or "I'm staying home with my sick kid." Occasionally they leave a little more detail like "Feels like I'm coming down with the flu" or "The allergies are acting up again" or something similar. All fine. However, there is one co-worker who always gives way, way too much information. Like "I was up until 1:00 vomiting and then I got <unpleasant intestinal symptom> and had to stay in the bathroom all night. I've managed to keep some juice down, but it feels like the vomiting might start up again. I also might have a fever. I've been chilly and sweaty all night and my stomach hurts. I'll stay home so I can be close to the bathroom...." etc, etc, on and on and on. Please note that this was a sanitized version of co-worker's typical message. Some of her messages have been so detailed and so graphic that I feel the need to take a shower and two aspirin after listening.

The thing that's funny (sort of) is that boss doesn't really care why people call in sick. She doesn't get upset about people calling in and would never question someone about whether they needed to stay home. Some people actually say they're "taking a mental health day" or "catching up on sleep" or something, and it's fine.

My question is, how do I politely and professionally communicate to co-worker that I do not need or want this much information in her call-in messages? I'm really at a loss here....
I've had bosses call me and tell me to get in to work, even after I've called in. It was always a matter who who left the most disgusting details on the call-in as to who actually got to use the sick leave. If you had a cold, and someone else has diarrhea, you were called in. If you had diarrhea and someone else was vomiting, you got called in. The only way you got to have your sick day was if no one else called in with worse symptoms. And yes, these are bosses in the health care profession. I've been told that a sniffling nurse is better than no nurse. It was OK if you gave your flu or intestinal virus to the patients while you were answering call lights- just so long as call lights got answered.
So it will probably take your co-worker a little time to actually believe that on THIS job, it's OK to stay home if you're sick. I have to admit, that even when I know I'm too sick to do my job, my first thought is still whether I will get in trouble for not coming in.

MurPl1

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2013, 12:57:52 AM »
I own a sandwich shop and have employees ranging primarily from 19-24 working for me.  I do question people, because there'a s very real difference between vomiting because you are sick (and for food safety I want you to stay home) and vomiting because you did too many shooters 8 hours ago.

It's entirely possible this woman either worked in that environment.  Or was one who often tried to parlay overdoing it with the alcohol into actual illness.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2013, 01:02:45 AM »
Hi All,

Most people leave call-in messages that go something like "I'm not feeling well and will be staying home today" or "I'm staying home with my sick kid." Occasionally they leave a little more detail like "Feels like I'm coming down with the flu" or "The allergies are acting up again" or something similar. All fine. However, there is one co-worker who always gives way, way too much information. Like "I was up until 1:00 vomiting and then I got <unpleasant intestinal symptom> and had to stay in the bathroom all night. I've managed to keep some juice down, but it feels like the vomiting might start up again. I also might have a fever. I've been chilly and sweaty all night and my stomach hurts. I'll stay home so I can be close to the bathroom...." etc, etc, on and on and on. Please note that this was a sanitized version of co-worker's typical message. Some of her messages have been so detailed and so graphic that I feel the need to take a shower and two aspirin after listening.

The thing that's funny (sort of) is that boss doesn't really care why people call in sick. She doesn't get upset about people calling in and would never question someone about whether they needed to stay home. Some people actually say they're "taking a mental health day" or "catching up on sleep" or something, and it's fine.

My question is, how do I politely and professionally communicate to co-worker that I do not need or want this much information in her call-in messages? I'm really at a loss here....
I've had bosses call me and tell me to get in to work, even after I've called in. It was always a matter who who left the most disgusting details on the call-in as to who actually got to use the sick leave. If you had a cold, and someone else has diarrhea, you were called in. If you had diarrhea and someone else was vomiting, you got called in. The only way you got to have your sick day was if no one else called in with worse symptoms. And yes, these are bosses in the health care profession. I've been told that a sniffling nurse is better than no nurse. It was OK if you gave your flu or intestinal virus to the patients while you were answering call lights- just so long as call lights got answered.
So it will probably take your co-worker a little time to actually believe that on THIS job, it's OK to stay home if you're sick. I have to admit, that even when I know I'm too sick to do my job, my first thought is still whether I will get in trouble for not coming in.

I'm sorry to be gross, but (whited) as someone who's had both at the same time, I'd rather deal with "going up" than the other. To me, that just doesn't even make sense.

Vita brevis, ars longa

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2013, 03:44:03 PM »
I've had bosses call me and tell me to get in to work, even after I've called in. It was always a matter who who left the most disgusting details on the call-in as to who actually got to use the sick leave. 

If this were the case at my job, I'd make sure to tell them I had the most disgusting symptoms, even if I didn't. That's crazy. If you're sick, you're sick, no matter which end it may be coming from.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2013, 06:50:39 PM »
I've had bosses call me and tell me to get in to work, even after I've called in. It was always a matter who who left the most disgusting details on the call-in as to who actually got to use the sick leave. 

If this were the case at my job, I'd make sure to tell them I had the most disgusting symptoms, even if I didn't. That's crazy. If you're sick, you're sick, no matter which end it may be coming from.

The situation is horrible, but I can't help laughing at the image of the potential for oneupmanship.

"Joe has a super-contagious cough and is hacking up gallons of phlegm?  Well, I have the bubonic plague!"

"Oh, yeah?  Well I've got chest-burster aliens!"

"You think that's bad?  Ever seen Scanners?"
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2013, 07:06:38 PM »

The situation is horrible, but I can't help laughing at the image of the potential for oneupmanship.

"Joe has a super-contagious cough and is hacking up gallons of phlegm?  Well, I have the bubonic plague!"

"Oh, yeah?  Well I've got chest-burster aliens!"

"You think that's bad?  Ever seen Scanners?"

"Yeah? How are you able to talk, then?"
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2013, 07:14:58 PM »
As far as the urge to give out too much information, it seems it can be very deeply ingrained in some people!  I was sick yesterday and had to cancel a planned dinner with my in-laws.  As I was typing the email to cancel it, I had to refrain from giving any of the disgusting details, and even then, I felt I had to give some justification by referring to a vicious stomach bug, not just saying I was sick.  It appears I've had to justify my time off for so long that I even feel I have to do it with family!

Jocelyn

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2013, 11:00:15 PM »

I'm sorry to be gross, but (whited) as someone who's had both at the same time, I'd rather deal with "going up" than the other. To me, that just doesn't even make sense.

The rationale was based on the idea of what others might see. Not on how the individual felt, but how easily they might offend others.

Jocelyn

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2013, 11:02:27 PM »
On a lighter note, I was having myself a bit of McBreakfast this week, when a student emailed me to explain why she wouldn't be in class that day...including way TMI to be included as breakfast reading. I had to chuckle after this thread.