Author Topic: [Ask Amy 7/22] Son's Girlfriend gained weight...  (Read 7222 times)

Pen^2

Re: [Ask Amy 7/22] Son's Girlfriend gained weight...
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 01:45:45 PM »
I'm wondering if her son even said anything to her. Perhaps she's claiming he did so because she thinks this lends credence and support to her snotty attitude.

Ooh, I didn't think of that. That sounds very likely. She adds in all the "health" rubbish because she's aware that she looks bad for being concerned only about appearances, so why not do the same and say the son went to her for help, instead of admitting that perhaps she's just being spontaneously judgemental?

The fact that the girl has been with him for 3 years and has gained the weight during this time, rather than in the last month or something, did make it sound odd before that the son was suddenly and out of the blue going to his mother for "help". The notion that she invented this part causes it to make more sense. Still just speculation, but it this way seems more probable.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 01:52:07 PM »
I'm wondering if her son even said anything to her. Perhaps she's claiming he did so because she thinks this lends credence and support to her snotty attitude.

Ooh, I didn't think of that. That sounds very likely. She adds in all the "health" rubbish because she's aware that she looks bad for being concerned only about appearances, so why not do the same and say the son went to her for help, instead of admitting that perhaps she's just being spontaneously judgemental?

The fact that the girl has been with him for 3 years and has gained the weight during this time, rather than in the last month or something, did make it sound odd before that the son was suddenly and out of the blue going to his mother for "help". The notion that she invented this part causes it to make more sense. Still just speculation, but it this way seems more probable.

She never actually says that her son initiated any of these conversations. Based on her letter she could be the person bringing it up and he just answers her... possibly in the way that she wants because he knows that will shut her up. Or if someone nags "doesn't this bother you?" enough times then by golly even if you don't care you start to think you should.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 02:04:43 PM »
Even if the son didn't initiate this conversation with his mother, it's up to him to put a stop to it.  He needs to stick up for his girlfriend and tell his mother to butt out and leave her alone.

And reading that letter made me really angry.  (The one below it did, too.)

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2013, 02:13:27 PM »
Even if the son didn't initiate this conversation with his mother, it's up to him to put a stop to it.  He needs to stick up for his girlfriend and tell his mother to butt out and leave her alone.

And reading that letter made me really angry.  (The one below it did, too.)

yeah, but considering that he has to be about 18 - 19 I am not surprised that he has trouble shutting her down. That is something that will come with time and age.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2013, 04:37:41 PM »
True.  I hope it comes soon, though.  For that girlfriend's sake.

chicajojobe

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2013, 02:42:22 PM »
Ugh, that's appalling.

Even if only reason the girlfriend is gaining weight is because she's sitting around stuffing her face with pizza and cookies it's none of her boyfriend's mother's business!