Author Topic: I really need to get better around kids. . . what would you have done?  (Read 5190 times)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Ah, I'd always heard it as "shoot the messenger".

That's it!  I knew something didn't sound right when I initially posted it, but I was blanking on why!  You're right.  It's "shoot" instead.

Olympia

To be honest, I'm not understanding the distinction. It hardly matters whether it was your original idea or not; if you post advocating it, it's reasonable to assume that people may agree or disagree with your post advocating it. That's not shooting (or hitting) the messenger in the slightest. It's continuing the conversation. Your request that I not "hit" you makes it seem like you're accusing me of some sort of personal attack.

I agree with you on all counts.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
I have a 7 year old DD, so right in the age range you described, and this behavior seems extremely OTT.  My child knows not to interrupt when adults are speaking (she has to be reminded some times, but only once) .  For this child to shove books in your face repeatedly, step on your feet and grab you and go through your purse during a business meeting is so wrong and unprofessional.  I would have told the lady that you would like to reschedule the meeting for another day.  If this woman has her DD assist her in many more business meetings, she may find she has no more business.  It has nothing to do whether you like kids or not, or know how to relate with them or not, her DD should have been made to sit quietly until mom finished her business transaction.

I have no problem with unruly kids and their inattentive handlers being sent on their way in restaurants.  If I am going to spend money to eat out, I don't need the SS family ruining it for me.  I do NOT allow my kids to act like heathens in public and I do not appreciate being subjected to others ill behaved kids ruining my dining experience.  Call me condescending or a child hater, but there are basic rules of conduct that children should be taught and not being a pest during what is obvious not a child centric business transaction or acting like screaming mimi's in a restaurant are big ones.

Teacup

Thanks for all the input  :)  I really like the rescheduling option.  I'll have to remember that in the future.

To finish the story:  It takes at least two hours of windshield time to meet her (an hour there, and hour back) as we no longer live in our respective small towns.  She rents vintage items and I am renting several for my wedding.  This may have made it seem like it could be a less formal meeting (The shoes her daughter stepped on were tennis shoes. I only *wish* I had Manolos), but it was still a business transaction to me.  I needed to be there in person to pick out what I needed.

She is the only one in our area that offers that particular service, so I am limited in my choices, but, given the distance we will have to conduct almost all of our future business via phone or email.  I'm actually kind of relieved at this, so it's kinda like a happy ending, right?

I do feel better prepared for future encounters like this, as this is not the first (and I'm sure will not be the last time) I feel awkward around children.   ;)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
She rents vintage items and I am renting several for my wedding.  This may have made it seem like it could be a less formal meeting

May not be "formal" but it's still extremely important and should be treated professionally on her part.

And congratulations!

TeamBhakta

I'm going to respond to this as someone who had taught elementary school for 35 years. At one time it was standard for parents to teach their children not to interrupt and that they were not entitled to be part of adult conversations. At some point, some parents, certainly not all, started raising their children as if they were the center of the universe. Some parents got away from the idea of adults as authority figures and focused so much on their children's feelings that they had difficulty with their children being corrected, or having to accept "no" to their demands.

Reminds me of this screen shot from Shut The (Front Door) Parents (replace the * with a 'u' in the site address)

stf*parentsblog.com/post/10812995840/finally-someone-says-whats-on-everybodys-mind

cass2591

• Global Moderator
Dotty, Olympia and SltherHiss, I trust the thread derailment is settled?
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
I agree with PPs who say YOU don't need to get better around kids. This child was poorly behaved, and the mother was extremely unprofessional, by letting her interrupt and get in your personal space.

Glad you can conduct future business over the phone or email!

jpcher

• Super Hero!
I agree with PPs who say YOU don't need to get better around kids. This child was poorly behaved, and the mother was extremely unprofessional, by letting her interrupt and get in your personal space.

Glad you can conduct future business over the phone or email!

I can't agree enough with the bold above along with other posters that said the same thing.

OP -- you handled the situation quite admirably.