Author Topic: Leave a Tip?  (Read 1737 times)

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
Leave a Tip?
« on: April 21, 2014, 12:38:24 PM »
A couple weeks ago, a local business was hired to come to my workplace to perform a service over a three hour time period. We paid in advance--the invoice was broken up into:

Service to be performed by two employees
Travel/setup fee (they are practically next door, so the fee seemed pretty high...)
Tip (we decided to tip 20%, rather than a higher amount, because of the travel fee.)

Well, it turns out one of the employees was not able to make it, due to personal reasons. The owner of the business refunded the service fee for one of the employees, the travel fee, and half the tip. She also is sending another employee over this week for the same three hour timespan, free of charge.

The other organizers and I have decided to hold a drawing, so a limited number of people will have a longer amount of time with the employee (rather than the majority of people getting a very brief amount of time with him/her.)

Would it be tacky (since it's a workplace thing) to suggest to the drawing winners they ought to leave a tip? My inclination is that I should, but this is so not my forte, professionally speaking. I presume the employee will be paid for their time, but I have no idea who the travel fee goes to or if they're paid a small base hourly wage, like waitresses, or if they get paid a flat rate regardless, or what. Thanks!
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

Phoebelion

Re: Leave a Tip?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 12:46:05 PM »
To me, it would depend on the type of service.

If training session, why are they even getting a tip?

If a perk (massage?), I think the person getting the service should pay the tip - in both cases.

bah12

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 12:46:48 PM »
I have never heard of an employee of an organization tipping someone for services the organization paid for.  I would not ask them to leave a tip.
Unless I misunderstood the post?

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 12:54:49 PM »
It's a perk (massage.)

We did pay for the service, including the tip--which the owner returned after the event because of the employee who didn't show.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 12:57:28 PM »
I'm wondering if it's something like, your boss hired a masseuse to come and give back rubs to people as a morale booster. Or facials, manicures/pedicures, etc.

Anyway, the person who pays the bill also pays for the tip. That's why when someone sends you flowers, you're not supposed to tip the delivery person, they are. And when you go to a hosted reception, there aren't supposed to be tip jars for the bartender and coat check; your host pays that tip when you aren't around.

If it's a jointly-paid-for service ("we'll all pitch in!"), if someone gets a bigger share of the service, they should pay for a bigger share of the service and leave a bigger share of the tip.
  If people are donating their own 1/10th of a back rub so that someone else can have 2/10th, then they should donate their own 1/10th of the tip.

Who's paying this person? The company? Or you guys collectively.

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 12:59:37 PM »
The company paid, in advance--but the tip, travel fee, and one of the masseuse's fees were refunded to us after the first event (that one masseuse showed up for, but the second one didn't.)

StuffedGrapeLeaves

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 01:04:53 PM »
The company should still pay for the tip this time around, because it is still a company-sponsored event. 

sweetonsno

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 03:33:14 PM »
Yes, you should pay for the tip. Just use the half that the company returned to you.

miranova

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 07:12:05 PM »
Absolutely, company should pay.  I can't imagine offering a perk to employees and then charging them for even part of it.  And what happens if someone doesn't have the money?  It's just a bad idea, all around.  If you offer a perk (another word for gift) you don't ask the receiver to pay for some of it.

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 10:33:43 AM »
Thanks everyone. I don't have direct access to company finances (credit card, petty cash, etc.) and will be the only organizer here when the masseuse comes, so I thought I ought to ask here first. I will be covering the tip, and the company will reimburse me.