Author Topic: Theme party and food choices  (Read 2331 times)

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
Theme party and food choices
« on: July 30, 2013, 03:19:30 PM »
So I do the "House Party" thing - they send me a package of goodies, I have a party based on those goodies and distribute coupons and such to the guests. It's fun, it's an excuse to have people over, and since I've FINALLY gotten the living room/dining room/kitchen unpacked and presentable, this will be my first chance to have people over since before the move (and since LONG before that, pre-cancer). I'm excited.

My problem? In the past, I've done food related parties. Glory Foods. Philadelphia Cream Cheese. Sara Lee breads. All of them gave me an EASY theme - I just used the products and recipes they sent, added a little extra stuff (dessert, salty, whatever the theme didn't have) and I was done.

This one? My first one in three years? MONOPOLY. What in the heck do I serve? I don't want to end up doing the 'Costco run' party with everything premade, nor do I want to spend all day Saturday cooking and cleaning my kitchen (since the layout of the house and the game theme lend themselves to having stuff in the kitchen as well as the living room), so a mix of premade and homemade would be best. I'd like to stick to finger foods as much as possible - logistically it's easier, and with everyone playing games they won't want to have a fork to mess around with. No major dietary restrictions that I know of (and it's mostly friends from college with a coworker and a church friend thrown in, so I would likely be aware of them). It's a heavy hors d'oeuvres,  and since we're basically non-drinkers I've said BYOB to the guests (who know that we don't often drink, and that's why we don't have any hooch in the place)

Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted!

NestHolder

Re: Theme party and food choices
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 03:47:09 PM »
Can you match the food to the colours of the properties on the board, and serve only things that are rectangular? That might mean things like brownies and yellow cake, or you could be a bit more varied if you go for square crackers or bread with cream cheese and a slice of green pepper, red pepper, carrot, or whatever, perched at one edge.  Or pick a few 'properties' that you can translate somehow into food—I don't know what is likely to be on your board, but mine includes 'The Angel, Islington', which is obviously angel cake, for instance.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 03:53:42 PM »
Could you tell us what the goodies are that the company sent you? That might help with food ideas.

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 03:59:21 PM »
The goodies they sent are a pet food bowl (the idea of the party is that they are adding a cat to the dog piece in the game, so it's "Monopoly Unleashed"), a couple of versions of the game (the new one, a card based one, Candy Land and Connect Four for the kids) and some cups and temporary tattoos, along with coupons and flyers to pass out.

Oh Joy

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 04:13:21 PM »
Can you match the food to the colours of the properties on the board, and serve only things that are rectangular? That might mean things like brownies and yellow cake, or you could be a bit more varied if you go for square crackers or bread with cream cheese and a slice of green pepper, red pepper, carrot, or whatever, perched at one edge.  Or pick a few 'properties' that you can translate somehow into food—I don't know what is likely to be on your board, but mine includes 'The Angel, Islington', which is obviously angel cake, for instance.

I like this direction.  I'm thinking cheese cube 'dice' and cucumber slice or pepperoni 'checkers' and other such things, being that there are other games involved.  Maybe some licorice whip 'leashes' and some puppy chow. 

lowspark

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 04:37:43 PM »
In your place, I'd probably not worry too much about the Monopoly theme and just do some quick easy heavy hors d'oeuvre of your choice.

Some suggestions:
raw veggies & dip
a brick of cream cheese with hot pepper jelly poured over it, served with crackers
li'l smokies in bbq sauce
blocks of cheese, each with its own knife, and crackers.
spinach dip or artichoke dip
meatballs
puff pastry pinwheels
guacamole
chips & salsa
Rice Krispies Cheese Balls

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 04:46:30 PM »
  I forgot ? Do any of  the places on monopoly board had foods associated with them too.   Cant think of any off the top of my head but maybe you could combine it with puns and homonyms. combining the pieces , places and cards maybe?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 04:54:01 PM »
Park Place and Boardwalk are blue, so you could make chicken tenders on a skewer with a sauce, maybe with blue cheese dipping sauce and call it Park Place chicken.
Marvin Gardens is yellow, so you could have Marvin Gardens Salad with yellow bell pepper or tomato.
You could always do something in a train theme, for the railroad board spaces.

Good luck!

Tea Drinker

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 05:01:39 PM »
Along similar lines, maybe a Mediterranean salad (either an Israeli chopped cucumber-and-tomato salad, or a Greek salad with greens, olives, and cheese could fit that); some kind of hors d'oeuvre or sandwiches with Virginia ham; salt water taffy as an Atlantic City reference; or whatever other food associations come to mind from the various squares.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 05:23:04 PM »
This is probably not at all what you want and too expensive, but my first thought was ordering and picking up lunch from McDonald's since they are having their Monopoly game right now.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 05:38:06 PM »
Pick one square per color and do something that state or area is famous for.  Example, Illinois could be Chicago hot dog, Pennsylvania could be Philly cheesesteaks or something like that. 

I also like Tea Drinker's idea of Mediterranean and Virginia ham.  That's along the same lines as what I was thinking. 

Good luck!  Sounds like a fun evening. 

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 07:40:54 PM »
Pick one square per color and do something that state or area is famous for.  Example, Illinois could be Chicago hot dog, Pennsylvania could be Philly cheesesteaks or something like that. 

I also like Tea Drinker's idea of Mediterranean and Virginia ham.  That's along the same lines as what I was thinking. 

Good luck!  Sounds like a fun evening.

I think this is an excellent idea. It would take some planning . . . and I don't think that you need a food item for every color.

Sticking with Mediterranean Ave and the suggested salad (you mentioned that you prefer finger foods) how about this? http://meatlessmediterranean.blogspot.com/2011/05/caprese-skewer-bites.html

You could also pick and choose your menu from the different game pieces . . .

Here's a recipe for Puppy Chow . . . for the dog piece: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/puppy-chow/   . . . maybe call it Cat Chow in honor of the new piece.

Sticking to the theme unfoody-wise, maybe pick up a few tiaras (dollar store/party store) for when someone picks the "You Won a Beauty Contest" card. When someone lands on "Free Parking" they get a HotWheel (or much cheaper variation toy car) . . . think little kid goodie bag type of things.

Here's a layout of the game board as a handy reference if people are interested:

http://monopoly.wikia.com/wiki/Monopoly_Board

Rohanna

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 08:03:51 PM »
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 08:22:00 PM »
I asked my friend Google

Monopoly Inspired Dinner Party (The Turkish cigars are actually a savory pastry)

v

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Bluenomi

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 08:26:58 PM »
The game is turned in to a pub crawl in London, pity you can't do that!