Author Topic: Cafeteria Worker Using Charger After Hours, Should I Tell?  (Read 8907 times)

Dream

Re: Cafeteria Worker Using Charger After Hours, Should I Tell?
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2013, 03:32:25 PM »
How did they know the charger was there in the first place?  How far did they have to go to get to that charger?  It's unusual behaviour and it should be reported to security.

This would be my concern. It was obviously not the first time he had done this by his actions but how exactly did he know the charger was there without wandering in and out of places he shouldn't have been and rooting around in the first place?

mspallaton

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2013, 03:39:12 PM »
I've seen some people loan out their chargers to anyone and everyone without a second's thought and/or borrow them without asking because they think chargers are, kind of, communal property like air or water. I've seen other people who are very territorial about it.

As an example, I traveled with some friends last year. The first night, I was charging my camera. When it was done, one of my friends just took the cable and used it to charge her phone. Another friend piped up and said, "Hey! That's Cami's charger. What are you doing?"

So I'd mention it to the coworker. S/He may not care or they may.

If he leaves the charger there all the time I think it is fair game, and wouldn't mention it.  It's not like the charger only works so many times.

POD to the bolded part.  It is one thing if someone has a limited use object (I don't know, a notebook with few pages or something like that) or an unlimited use object like a charger. 

That being said, for me it would depend more on whether the coworker is the type to get wound up about those things.  Someone who consistently leaves their charger overnight doesn't seem like that type to be uptight about that sort of thing, but you never know.  If you know your coworker would be bothered by it and maybe just hasn't realized it, I would mention it without naming names.

I don't really think the worker using the charger is doing anything that wrong.  Maybe a little presumptuous to assume it is okay, but there's also really no harm to it.

veronaz

« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2013, 04:21:55 PM »
OP, you said in your initial post that when he asked if it was okay to charge his phone, you told him to go ahead (gave permission).  Then you mentioned he used someone's charger.  Apparently you thought he was only going to use the outlet/juice, but that wasn't the case.

I also don't see where him being a cafeteria worker matters.

doodlemor

« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2013, 07:22:03 PM »
How did they know the charger was there in the first place?  How far did they have to go to get to that charger?  It's unusual behaviour and it should be reported to security.

This would be my concern. It was obviously not the first time he had done this by his actions but how exactly did he know the charger was there without wandering in and out of places he shouldn't have been and rooting around in the first place?

Exactly.  I think that the OP identified the man as a cafeteria worker to indicate that he was in an area of the building far from where he had duties.  I think that this business needs to put locks on office/conference rooms.  I would have felt very strange to be in an isolated area with an unknown man. 

If the offices were closed, it seems like the cafeteria would be closed, too.  If the man were on a search for unreturned dishes, it seems like he would have had a cart or tote of some kind to put them on because they would be grungy.  The OP didn't mention hearing a cart or seeing a tote of any kind.  The whole thing seems very odd, and security should be notified.

OP, chances are that this guy is just clueless.  However, I don't think that you should be by yourself there after hours.  If he is some sort of a villain, you don't want him to get the idea that he could come after you.

This may sound a bit extreme, but my husband is retired from law enforcement and I have heard the tales of things that were done. 

veronaz

« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2013, 07:26:17 PM »
I would have felt very strange to be in an isolated area with an unknown man. 

That's why it's strange that she told him to come on in and charge his phone.....then wonders if she should report it. 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 07:28:18 PM by veronaz »

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2013, 09:17:45 PM »

When I worked in buildings with cafeterias, the cafeteria workers did *not* have permission to enter any of the offices.  It would have been a serious security issue. 

veronaz

« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2013, 09:55:31 PM »

When I worked in buildings with cafeterias, the cafeteria workers did *not* have permission to enter any of the offices.  It would have been a serious security issue.

I understand, but don’t know the policy of this particular establishment.

Regardless – my point is that OP knew he was a cafeteria worker, yet she gave him permission to come into the room and charge his phone.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2013, 11:19:57 PM »
OP said she was surprised by him.  Sometimes when something takes you by surprise, your brain doesn't think think quite right until afterwards.