Author Topic: Friend and out there FB posts  (Read 3757 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Friend and out there FB posts
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 12:35:34 PM »
I suppose you could say things like, "I was surprised you posted that thing--it seems so easily misunderstood/like something that should be private/likely that it will hurt someone's feelings/hits people's hot buttons."

aiki

• We can't all have Pippa's backside.
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 09:36:49 PM »
I know the owner of a small business who checks the facebook page of every potential employee.  She has rejected at least 2 people based on what she saw on facebook.

I don't really get this. If she checked mine, she'd see my banner photo (a bunch of trees) and my profile picture (head and shoulders shot). Not my photos or status updates.

If she demanded my password, I wouldn't want to work for her anyway as that is kind of like asking me to give her my mail to open.

If I were an employer, I'd see the ability to understand and appropriately use privacy settings in social media as desirable in a potential hire. So the lack of information you're sharing is also, in its own way, information about you.
"A true gentleman is one who is never unintentionally rude."  - Oscar Wilde

MrTango

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 08:47:49 AM »
If I were an employer, I'd see the ability to understand and appropriately use privacy settings in social media as desirable in a potential hire. So the lack of information you're sharing is also, in its own way, information about you.

This is true.  If someone were to try to search for my FB profile, they wouldn't be able to find me at all unless they were a friend of a friend, and even then, they wouldn't be able to see much.

audrey1962

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 09:38:39 AM »
Is it polite to gently point out, privately, that she is making herself look bad, or is it better to just scroll past and bite my tongue. 

The latter.

LEMon

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 11:24:43 AM »
What about approaching it from the positive side?  "I had a thought.  I read how employers check Facebook now.  I bet you could use that against them.  What if you were to figure out ways to express problems in positive ways?  A way to be you and express what you need to, but in a way that presents you in a positive light.  Maybe they'll see that and hire you."  Or some such. 

I'm thinking something that might make her reevaluate her posting habits for her self.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2013, 10:21:24 AM »
*****UPDATE****
BG I seem to have an admirer who I am mutually admiring but my posts have been just basic "Oh, got to talk to crush today haha we are both shy haha"..she has decided to divulge some details I told her personally about a conversation.

Unfortunately, I had to block friend from posting on my page.  She was not happy, but she put some really offensive and unnecessary comments on 2 different posts of mine, especially because I was deliberately NOT on one post giving full details of something and she posted a snippet ofpart of a conversation I relayed to her that was very funny but the way she stated it, it put him in a very bad light if you didn't know the whole story (which she knew I was not giving out the whole conversation on FB!!!) and she made another comment about me that was not only wrong, but extremely vulgar and uncalled for and I had to once again, publicly correct her.  After these comments I received so many PM's from people asking why she was saying things and I had to bean dip because I am, again, not giving full details

I did tell her when she realized her stuff was hidden on my feed that she needs to watch what she says not only about me but about her family and herself because she is way to TMI and in her attempts to joke around with me, she is being offensive.
I also told her, as I am job hunting I have toned down a lot of my snarky cartoons and some other posts I share and would appreciate if she not post comments that make me look sleazy and my admirer look like he is a pig.