Author Topic: Dear Abby on Kids on counter tops.  (Read 5221 times)

snowdragon

Dear Abby on Kids on counter tops.
« on: July 31, 2013, 02:34:08 PM »
http://www.uexpress.com/dearabby/?uc_full_date=20130730

Writer is a store clerk and wants to know if it would be appropriate to ask parents not to place kids on the counter.

Abby's response is interesting. I am not sure parents will take it well, but I found the reply interesting.

Roe

• Super Hero!
Re: Dear Abby on Kids on counter tops.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 02:36:38 PM »
Why wouldn't parents take it well?  I get that a few parents are SS but the great majority of us are not.

lowspark

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 02:56:58 PM »
Lots of businesses have signs which strictly prohibit this. The Post Office near me has one that says something like "No Children on the Counter". It's not out of the ordinary at all. I think Abby should have advised the LW to, with the permission of his employer, post one of these signs which he could then refer to when necessary.

That way, it's sort of a "sorry, company policy, not my fault" situation and he doesn't have to feel bad for potentially offending the customer.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 03:02:40 PM »
I see it as being up to a boss.

Zizi-K

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 03:02:58 PM »
I get the concern about a child falling, but is a leaky diaper a very common occurrence in this situation? IF this were the case, then wouldn't floors and chairs also be covered with the leaks?

Aquamarine

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 03:11:15 PM »
I get the concern about a child falling, but is a leaky diaper a very common occurrence in this situation? IF this were the case, then wouldn't floors and chairs also be covered with the leaks?

For many of us it's not the issue of the child falling but rather than we do not want to place our hands, arms and purses where biological wastes may have been.  A diaper does not need to leak to have biological wastes transferred to the countertops.  Children are not run through a sterilizer after each diaper change and hence bacteria remains in areas that may be outside the diaper itself.

It is a disgusting, action that some parents are OK with, it really makes me wonder what their home cleanliness is like when I hear of this happening.  Mercifully I have never seen this done in person because I would call them out on it publicly.   Personal safety and health come before etiquette and I think many people do not *get* how certain bacterial contamination can make you deathly ill.
Always be polite, even to nasty people. Not because they are nice, but because you are.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 03:20:01 PM »
I think thr point is that babies also sit on chairs, bemches,etc. Unless you avoid all.surfaces a baby may have touched the worry about a baby on a bounter seems a bit stramge. Realistically, you will probably run into far more biohazard from baby hands anyway.

Aquamarine

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 03:34:00 PM »
I think thr point is that babies also sit on chairs, bemches,etc. Unless you avoid all.surfaces a baby may have touched the worry about a baby on a bounter seems a bit stramge. Realistically, you will probably run into far more biohazard from baby hands anyway.

I don't put my hands and arms on the seats of chair or benches.  I do put my purse, hands and arms often on countertop when I am paying for something.  The risk of contamination is going to be higher with countertops than with someplace where only your rear end goes
Always be polite, even to nasty people. Not because they are nice, but because you are.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 04:01:56 PM »
Having waited on a wide variety of people over the years, it isn't the babies that concern me.  I have had some of the filthiest people lean over my counter, and you will never convince me that some of that filth is not just as bad if not worse than a diaper.

And don't get me started on people who come up to the counter bleeding.

Anyway, my point is: you have to assume that everyone is a source of filth and germs.  I had to train myself not to touch my face or rub my eyes.  Keep sanitary wipes handy, and wipe off periodically, no matter who has been at your counter.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 04:11:56 PM »
Anyway, my point is: you have to assume that everyone is a source of filth and germs.  I had to train myself not to touch my face or rub my eyes.  Keep sanitary wipes handy, and wipe off periodically, no matter who has been at your counter.

Yeah, I'll admit that I cringe internally when someone puts their purse on the counter, because odds are that the purse has been in the bathroom, and between the germs spread when flushing and the fact that people grab their purse after they've used the bathroom but before they've washed their hands, I'm pretty sure that purses are just spreading bacteria everywhere.

That, and you don't know how clean other people's hands are.

So while I don't think it's a good idea to put a kid down on a counter, I also would never, ever assume that a counter was clean unless I just wiped it down with a bleach wipe.

If I think about it too much I'd be afraid to touch anything, so instead I remind myself to wash my hands often and not touch my face.  (And now I'm thinking about it and I need to go wash my hands.)

Sterling

• Oh Stupid Me- Blogs about Things That Drive Me Crazy
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 04:29:52 PM »
 I don't think a child's pants are any more dirty than someone's hands. I am currently sick with bronchitis and I am coughing a lot. I am suddenly really really aware of how much stuff I touch through out the day, from my keyboard to the cups at the soda fountain. I am not usually a fan but right now hand sanitizer is my friend.
93 93/93

cross_patch

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 08:01:08 PM »
Why wouldn't parents take it well?  I get that a few parents are SS but the great majority of us are not.

Yeah, I don't understand that either. Parents aren't a monolithic entity.

Jones

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 08:53:17 PM »
I think that people should be more worried about the sanitary state of my house when they find out I have dogs, than when they find out I have a toddler. That being said, I don't make a habit of putting my dogs or my son on any public counters. I worry about the Boy  falling, for one thing. The diaper thing never occurred to me as I make it a habit to change him as soon as his diaper is in the "used" state.

Crazy Chicken Lady

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 08:55:52 PM »
I'm a parent and I don't put my kids on public counters either.   ??? And honestly, there really the SS parents don't make up the majority of us. They are just the ones that stand out.  ;)

esposita

• If you have the power to make someone happy, do it
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 09:04:18 PM »
I don't let my kids sit on counters, ever. My main reason is that counters are for transactions, not for sitting, and my kids are little adults in training so they need to learn that.

So for me it really has little to do with germs. And after working fast food, I'd be more concerned with the state of my kid's rears after they sat there, not before. The things that people put up there...the state of the money people threw at me...grooooosssss....