Author Topic: Dear Abby on Kids on counter tops.  (Read 5232 times)

Jones

Re: Dear Abby on Kids on counter tops.
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 09:15:25 PM »
The used tissues tossed about while the sweet old lady searches her purse for her little coin bag (shudder).

I waited until she'd walked away and Lysol'd before the next customer put anything in that spot. Slowed me down but no one complained.

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2013, 09:18:14 PM »
I don't let my kids sit on counters, ever. My main reason is that counters are for transactions, not for sitting, and my kids are little adults in training so they need to learn that.

So for me it really has little to do with germs. And after working fast food, I'd be more concerned with the state of my kid's rears after they sat there, not before. The things that people put up there...the state of the money people threw at me...grooooosssss....

ITA with the bolded. Also, consider counters that are really more like shelves, such as the type commonly found in banks. These are not designed to have a lot of weight placed on them.

On the subject of dirty Baby pants, I think my purse is probably grosser than either of my younger kids' (2yo and barely 1yo, both in diapers) pants. If the pants do get icky, they get changed and washed. My poor purse just gets abused. When we go into the bathroom to change diapers, the pants come off, are set aside, and then put back on once there's a fresh, clean diaper on. My purse is hung from the changing table and typically falls to the floor. I don't remember the last time I cleaned the purse, whereas I do laundry at least once per week.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

cwm

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2013, 12:20:00 PM »
Having waited on a wide variety of people over the years, it isn't the babies that concern me.  I have had some of the filthiest people lean over my counter, and you will never convince me that some of that filth is not just as bad if not worse than a diaper.

And don't get me started on people who come up to the counter bleeding.

Anyway, my point is: you have to assume that everyone is a source of filth and germs.  I had to train myself not to touch my face or rub my eyes.  Keep sanitary wipes handy, and wipe off periodically, no matter who has been at your counter.

POD to this. I've never been worried about babies and their diapers leaking while they sit on a counter. I'm much more worried about the person who's oozing mucus down their face and sniffling and coughing constantly, then handing me something. I've also known people (older women, mostly) who will stuff used kleenex into their shirt sleeves to re-use later. I find that much more disgusting than a child sitting on a countertop.

And if I was taking my niece out I'd absolutely set her on the counter, unless there was a sign posted. She would run away before I could stop her rather than listen and stay by my side. I don't want to have to run off in the middle of a transaction to chase a toddler around the store, and she's just too big to hold the whole time. I really wish there was some way around it, but in print shops and the like, there's no carts to stick the kids in and strap them in place to keep them from running.

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2013, 12:32:35 PM »
Many objects one wouldn't think twice about setting on a counter, including purses and cell phones, are much more likely to carry germs than a toddler's pants: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57585093/handbags-may-contain-more-germs-than-average-toilet-flush/
So a sanitation-based argument against putting toddlers on the counter is flawed, unless the business doesn't allow customers to place any personal items on the counter either.

But I agree with keeping toddlers off the counters for other reasons. They may not be stable, the child may be able to grab or damage items (pens, credit card machine, etc.), and as esposita said, kids should learn that counters are not for sitting.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver

SlitherHiss

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2013, 12:36:58 PM »
I don't know that it really matters how gross any adults/other customers may be; allowing little kids on the counters is a bad idea, not only because they frequently grab things (often sticking them in their mouth in a fraction of a second) and sometimes diapers leak (what parent among us *hasn't* experienced a poosplosion? Seriously, I'd like to shake your hand and learn your secrets :) ), but because there's also huge liability concern associated with an unsecured child potentially falling (or jumping) off the counter and getting injured. There's simply not a good reason to allow it.

Regardless of what policies are made re: counter sitting, it would be a good idea to keep some lysol wipes on hand for a quick counter cleaning after particularly grody customers of any age.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2013, 12:43:19 PM »
Why wouldn't parents take it well?  I get that a few parents are SS but the great majority of us are not.

This.  And plus so agree with the no children on counters.  I never stuck my kids on counters and survived.   ::)

cwm

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2013, 01:01:24 PM »
I don't know that it really matters how gross any adults/other customers may be; allowing little kids on the counters is a bad idea, not only because they frequently grab things (often sticking them in their mouth in a fraction of a second) and sometimes diapers leak (what parent among us *hasn't* experienced a poosplosion? Seriously, I'd like to shake your hand and learn your secrets :) ), but because there's also huge liability concern associated with an unsecured child potentially falling (or jumping) off the counter and getting injured. There's simply not a good reason to allow it.

Regardless of what policies are made re: counter sitting, it would be a good idea to keep some lysol wipes on hand for a quick counter cleaning after particularly grody customers of any age.

I've known many people who lick their fingers to leaf through papers. You don't know who's done that or who hasn't before they came in to the store. I see that as no better or worse than a child putting something into their mouth. Some people also have various other disgusting habits that I don't want to come in contact with, which is no worse or better than a small child's propensity towards snot and drool. It happens.

My niece is past putting things in her mouth. When she's sitting/being held close to an adult's body, she knows that she has to keep her hands to herself. If she's on the floor, she's running. I'm more worried about her running around and hurting herself, damaging floor displays, or something worse happening to her if she gets to the door. I'd much rather have her right next to me than having to chase after her while I'm supposed to be completing a transaction. Whenever I have her on the counter, her bottom is on it and I have an arm around her and am standing right in front of her. She would actively have to work quite hard to end up falling, and even then, I'm still close enough with an arm around her that I could catch her.

I'm not saying that I'd disrespect any company that had signs up. But if they don't have any signs, I'm going to hoist Sproglet to the counter. In my situation with my niece, that's the best option for me. It won't be the best option for everyone, but I highly doubt that her back end or hands are inherently more gross than many of the adults that come in simply because she's a child and it's her bottom.

StoutGirl

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2013, 04:39:57 PM »
I too have witnessed youngsters sitting on the counter at checkout in my retail experience.  I've never smelled dirtiness, but now I am a little worried.  It always drives me nuts when they sit on my counter because they take up way too much space and prevents me from packing up merchandise quickly and efficiently.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2013, 05:47:54 PM »
Off topic of countertops

I am very picky about my purse bottom...I try to never sit it on a floor (especially in a restroom, yuk).  I carry the same purse, I don't trade out for certain outfits and I don't replace them often, a good handbag usually lasts me around 5 years. 

About once every week or two I flip it over and spray Lysol on the bottom and let it air dry

I think that is about the best thing you can do with a handbag, maybe wipe the bottom with an antibacterial wipe? 

And on topic ... I don't like hineys (any age, any size) on countertops, table tops or desk tops.  Paperwork, food items and my purse go there.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2013, 01:52:11 PM »

Per the bolded: ITA. When I did customer service and people put their little kids on the counters, I asked them to remove them. Some were none too pleased, but all it takes is one fall/injury.

SuperMartianRobotGirl

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2013, 01:58:42 PM »
I don't think a toddler's pants are dirtier than many other things on a counter, but I do think it isn't safe. I'd just say, "The counter isn't really safe for him/her. Please take him off." And a thanks and a smile. Saying something with a smile makes most things sound better.

snowdragon

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2013, 02:02:00 PM »

Per the bolded: ITA. When I did customer service and people put their little kids on the counters, I asked them to remove them. Some were none too pleased, but all it takes is one fall/injury.

When I worked retail, I had a good many parents have temper tantrums about being asked not to place kids on the SNACK bar or tables. Some stopped at screaming, one threatened to hit me ( but did not follow through) and ne spit at me.
  Asking a parent to take their kids down can be risky.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2013, 02:14:32 PM »

When I worked retail, I had a good many parents have temper tantrums about being asked not to place kids on the SNACK bar or tables. Some stopped at screaming, one threatened to hit me ( but did not follow through) and ne spit at me.
  Asking a parent to take their kids down can be risky.

Pretty sad that it comes to that.  :-[

Punky B.

• I prefer not to.
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2013, 02:22:04 PM »
For me it has nothing to do with dirtiness (unless it's in a food establishment) and more that the little ones try to grab everything or they knock things over accidentally.   I don't want the child to injure themselves with something they shouldn't be touching or have to clean up a mess once they leave.  I've had a child grab for my hair (it's long and enticing, lol) while seated on the counter and it would have been unpleasant for me if they had succeeded.  I work in a business where I see children rarely, so I wouldn't put up signs, but I will ask that they be removed on the rare occasions they are brought in.

fountainof

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2013, 06:54:25 PM »
I personally think it is both a safety and annoyance issue.  I mainly see small counters and if a kid is sat on it there is little room for handling the transaction well.  Often, at something like a clothing store, the counter is very high, my DD's crotch would be near my face if I lifted her up.  Even the germs aside, I don't think any clerk deserves to have my DD's bottom shoved into his/her face.  At a grocery store just use a cart to contain a kid, at other places use a stroller if your kid is a runner.  A third option, is to hold the child, most parents can hold their kid and complete a transaction at the same time.