Author Topic: You aren't qualified for this position  (Read 4992 times)

Noph

• I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert.
You aren't qualified for this position
« on: July 31, 2013, 04:13:56 PM »
 My ten year old little company is growing!  As such, I've been creating new positions and trying to hire people.  Several of the positions I've hired for over the last few months require specific skill sets.   Today I posted a want ad for yet another new position.  I stated very clearly in the ad that applicants without prior experience or related education background will not be considered/need not apply.

Yet, when I checked my "hiring email" account at lunch time, lo and behold....many many many resumes that aren't even a little tiny bit related to my industry.  I could understand if I said "hey, I need a CNC operator to  with experience in plastic" and some one applied that said "hey, I'm a CNC operator, but I've only worked in granite".  Ok, I can see that. 

However, I"m getting tons of resumes from people that don't have even the slightest bit of work history in my industry.  I'm in finance, and am getting applicants currently working for Big Name Fast Food, they want me to know they were promoted last month from kitchen help to running a register, so they have "financial experience". 

Would it be rude to just not reply? I've always tried to reply to each and every email from an applicant.  Looking for work is so difficult that I feel bad if I don't at least send a response of "Thank you for taking time to apply with Noph Finance for Small Business Owners, but the position has been filled."  This way the applicant knows a real person did at least look at them.  (I've had so many friends looking for work that are so frustrated by the total lack of response after sending out resumes. They don't know if their resumes are bad or not even received.)   

Would it be rude to reply "I'm sorry your resume indicates you do not have the requested required experience or educational background to apply for this position"?   I ask that because there are a few women that I've gotten their resumes for EVERY.SINGLE.POSITION I've posted in the last six months....Some of these positions are CPA level, some are low level accounting clerks.  None of these women have the slightest experience in anything remotely related to my industry. (Not that it matters, their compensation requests are always at the top end of what that position makes, nation wide! In the South USA where I am, positions usually pay far less than the national average.)  I'm really tired of wasting my time with these same completely unqualified resumes over and over and over.   In some cases, the applicant even states "Your ad says experience/education  needed, but I'm a really fast learner."   

I'm growing disgusted with how much time I'm wasting trying to get skilled people.  Is there some way to politely respond THANKS BUT YOU ARE INSANE - working at Big Name Burger Joint's registers does not qualify you for a CPA's position?  >:D
Sorry about my spelling.

Lynn2000

Re: You aren't qualified for this position
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 04:25:09 PM »
I feel your pain! I help with hiring college student interns for my office--as in, all the emails come to me--and even though we have barely any requirements, I frequently get emails from people who manage to miss the minimum. Like, they aren't students at our college! Or I say in the ad, "Must be able to work summer," and they say, "Oh, but I won't be able to work in the summer, is that okay?"  ::) No, it isn't! But, you know, they're hustling, they figure it doesn't hurt to ask or try anyway, and they don't think about all the other people who are doing the same thing.

My policy is to always respond, because like you I know how disheartening it can be to get no response at all. If it's a very clear NO--like the people who can't work summer--I respond to tell them no thanks, we're only looking for people who can work in the summer. (I copy and paste my sentence from a document, makes it much easier.) If it was something where you had to evaluate their resume a bit more, and you personally didn't think they were qualified but it seemed like there might be some wiggle room, I would just say, thanks for applying, but we're going with other candidates, or the position has been filled, or whatever. In other words, I think saying, "You're not qualified for this job," would just lead to arguments from some people, and that's unpleasant. I'm sure they know they're not qualified, they're just hoping you're flexible on that requirement, and it's not really your job to help them understand, you know? You can just say no thanks and move on.
~Lynn2000

MyFamily

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 04:35:59 PM »
Also they are hoping that you will see their resume and even though they aren't qualified for that position, maybe you have another opening coming up and they are qualified for that position.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 04:39:21 PM »
Most of the job applications I've sent out have had no response whatsoever. Usually, I get a response if they want to interview me. Once or twice, I've gotten an email that my application has been received, but that's a rarity.

If you want to just acknowledge that their application has been received, you can set up an email address just for job applications, and have an auto-reply that gets sent to them telling them you have received the application and if their skills meet your requirements, you will be contacting them further. That will let everyone who sent a resume know that you've received it, at least. And the people who are spamming you for every job opening you have aren't going to expect even that.

Some people need to send out a certain number of resumes and apply for a certain number of jobs to keep their unemployment benefits. So you might be getting hit with some of those resumes.

The people who are spamming you with resumes know they aren't qualified for the job. They are either fulfilling some requirement to apply for a specific number of jobs, or they have delusions of grandeur. Either way, you aren't rude if you don't respond to each and every application with a personalized email reply.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 04:50:52 PM »
I would put in your next ad:  Please note, if you do not possess the required qualifications, you will not receive a response to your application.

For this time around, if it were 20 applications or less, I would send an email indicating that their application will not be considered because they lack the required qualifications.  Copy/paste or all in one with BCC, whichever is easiest.  If it's more than that, I wouldn't worry about it.

The way it works for my company is that there is no communication with the applicant unless they are being considered for an interview.  After a candidate has been hired and they have accepted the job, the other interviewees are told either verbally or in writing that they were not the successful candidate.

So if you've been responding to everyone, I think you've been going above and beyond.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Erich L-ster

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 05:12:20 PM »

The people who are spamming you with resumes know they aren't qualified for the job. They are either fulfilling some requirement to apply for a specific number of jobs, or they have delusions of grandeur.
Or they are desperately trying to find a job.

If you do want to be nice and respond to everyone, a copy/paste form letter would be fine.

Noph

• I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert.
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 05:29:48 PM »
I think those of you that pointed out responding to everyone isn't how most companies do it are correct.  However, there are a lot of things I don't do the way most businesses do.  This need to do things in what I consider the "right way" instead of the "normal way" is one of the main reasons I wanted my own business. The first years were lean, but a decade later things have paid off. =)

However, this maybe one of those lessons of "This is why the status quo is the way it is" for me.

As Camlan suggested, I do set up a "throw away" email when I'm doing hiring.  Another lesson learned in the first few years!  I like the idea of an auto response.  Some of these are obviously just spamming for jobs or meeting some sort of application quota.  I think I may just do away with trying to respond to every actual email.

I hate to do that because I know I'll miss that one sincere person that it would really help their state of mind just to know a person saw their resume. My city isn't that big, my company has gained a bit of reputation,  and my real last name is part of my company's name.  I've had some lovely responses from people I sent a thanks but no thanks to telling me they understand the job isn't for them, but getting a response from the owner gave them hope that the ads they've been responding to are actual ads and not fake job posts.  I guess I'm mushy about this because I spent a year looking for work before I gave up and scraped together what I had and opened for myself.  I felt like a failure because even Big Name Burger Joint wouldn't hire me (over qualified) but firms in my industry said I was too green. It was an awful time. My heart goes out to anyone truly struggling to find a decent paying job.

The tone and wording in some of the emails is weird, too. If I were looking for a job, I'd be some what subserviant in my initial message.  Often the email's tone is demanding and entitled. I'm not misunderstanding; things like "You will pay me $20 per hour and I need to bring my 2 year old with me on Fridays." are hard to misunderstand.   I have not been responding at all to these sort of emails, but I'm just so sick of it. I wouldn't want to work with, for, or over anyone that begins like this.  Yet it just gets under my skin!  I just want to hire someone that has even a tiny idea of what the position does for a fair wage. (I don't believe in min wage, as it just means min work. However, I'm not going to hire a clerk for $20 an hour!)    I do know I'm not the only employer in my city that is very frustrated with the lack of skill and demanding attitude from our work force. Most of my friends left my city in when we were in our early 20s because it just doesn't offer a lot. 

Thank you to everyone that responded. At least I know I'm going a bit above and beyond and that I'm not the only one... At least Outdoor Girl is dealing with the same frustration that makes evilNoph want to respond with AD READING SKILLS? YOU DO NOT HAVE!
Sorry about my spelling.

LEMon

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 08:18:49 PM »
Reading your reply made me think that perhaps you want to selectively respond.  Those who come close to meeting your needs could receive a reply.  Those who fail Reading 101 get nothing.  This way you soothe yourself that those who are trying receive the positive feedback you desire to give.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 10:13:14 PM »

As you are the owner, you can decide what you want to do.

If you want to respond to all applicants, no matter how little attention they paid to the ad, you can. However, there isn't any business etiquette which says you have to do that. If you want to throw some in the trash, and respond to others, that's fine too.

It may come down to how much time you have to spend on it - cut and paste replies for 20 applications. Doing the same for 500 becomes excessive.

I do think that once you've contacted someone for an inquiry or interview, you do owe them a response.

I suspect that these applications are from a combination of the completely clueless, who didn't notice the requirements, the desperate, who really need a job and figure why not, it can't hurt, and people who need to submit a certain number of applications a week to satisfy requirements for benefits.

It does remind me of my experience with on-line dating, where I'd get generic messages from guys who obviously hadn't paid enough attention to my profile or picture to notice my race.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 06:45:02 AM »
It might also be possible they are hoping you will see their resume and decide that even if they aren't qualified for position A you coud use them for b or c.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 07:46:45 AM »
I would use a specific email address and auto reply.

"Thank you for your interest in the job. Qualified applicants will contacted by the 7 th  of Never for an interview"

Or

"Thank you for your interest in this position. Requests for interview will be sent out by the 7th of Whenever"

Cherry91

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 07:56:40 AM »
I'm currently job seeking, and many of the descriptions of jobs I apply for have a little note at the botton saying something along the lines of "Due to the number of applications, if you aren't successful you will not be contacted." A date that qualified candidates will be contacted by can help as well.

LadyL

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 08:12:24 AM »
I had a similar issue with people who didn't qualify for a research study I was recruiting for who would still call repeatedly, sometimes even lying in the hopes of getting in (it was a paid study).

I started keeping a database I called "the bad list." People who'd lied (i.e. "roberta jones," after being rejected,  tried to call again and leave her name as "bobby jones" but it was the same phone number and address as "roberta"), called repeatedly to the point of harassment, etc. It helped me more quickly identify them the next time they left a message or sent an email.

Maybe you could do this with your person who applies for every position? Then after 3 nonsense applications, send them a note about how your posted qualifications are non-negotiable, you have their resume on file from the last 3 jobs they applied for in case anything comes up that's a good fit, and there is no need for them to keep applying.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 10:37:58 AM »
Although you may be helping some otherwise worthy applicants by encouraging them, you are also getting spammed.  I think noting in the ad that you will contact only qualified applicants is good, and I also like LadyL's idea of creating a spread sheet of the ones who reply repeatedly even though they do not remotely qualify.

I would not think it rude to ignore those that don't meet the basics.  They sound like the equivalent of junk mail.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 10:48:39 AM »
You could try adding, "Training will not be offered/available.  To apply, you must need X complete degree and X amount of years doing X type of work.  All resumes submitted without these requirements will not be considered.  Thank you"  And I would do a standard cut and copy of your Job Description and state, "Thank you for your resume submission however as stated in the above ad, we need X experience/degree etc."

But I would only use that for the repeats.  For first timers, I would go with what the other posters suggested.