Author Topic: You aren't qualified for this position  (Read 4386 times)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
Re: You aren't qualified for this position
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2013, 10:57:54 AM »

The people who are spamming you with resumes know they aren't qualified for the job. They are either fulfilling some requirement to apply for a specific number of jobs, or they have delusions of grandeur.
Or they are desperately trying to find a job.

If you do want to be nice and respond to everyone, a copy/paste form letter would be fine.

I also think this might be part of the reason. There is so much job-hunting advice out there, and some of it is ridiculous. Some "experts" say to apply to all the jobs you can, and see what sticks. That isn't a wise thing to do, of course, but people are desperate for employment.  It's a tough, tough market out there.  :-\

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2013, 01:28:22 PM »
I feel your pain.  At my last job, we needed to fill 2 full time and one part time position quickly so we decided to run an ad.  We were very specific about the skill set needed (strong customer service/sales background for one) but I swear people just saw help wanted and thought "Look a job, I will apply".  We said they had to call during certain times for a pre interview and we would come in in the morning to find messages left through the night, we said no walk ins, they came in anyways.  Had a women call for her daughter..when I said she had to call for the pre interview, the mom said she would do it for her.  It was the longest 3 weeks of my life (and I was 8 months pregnant and sort of miserable) .  The people who left messages after hours did not get called back and the ones who did actually interview were given phone calls.  I would always thank them for the interest and tell them we would keep their application on file for 6 months.  And we actually went back to them when we had trouble with the new hires and had to start again.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2013, 04:36:21 PM »

The people who are spamming you with resumes know they aren't qualified for the job. They are either fulfilling some requirement to apply for a specific number of jobs, or they have delusions of grandeur.

If you do want to be nice and respond to everyone, a copy/paste form letter would be fine.

I also think this might be part of the reason. There is so much job-hunting advice out there, and some of it is ridiculous. Some "experts" say to apply to all the jobs you can, and see what sticks. That isn't a wise thing to do, of course, but people are desperate for employment.  It's a tough, tough market out there.  :-\

I'm currently looking for a job, as the contract job I'm working on will be ending soon. I, too, am desperate for employment.

But I don't see the point in wasting my time writing a cover letter and sending in an application for a job I'm clearly not qualified for. I'd rather spend my time writing a strong cover letter and reworking my resume for a job I've got a chance at getting.

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Noph

• I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert.
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2013, 04:50:37 PM »
  Had a women call for her daughter..when I said she had to call for the pre interview, the mom said she would do it for her.
I don't even...Wait? Really? I can't...my brain....If this had happened to me, and I'd been 8 months pregnant, I think I'd have encouraged my future child to pull an "alien" - burst right on thru me and slap her for being so clueless! (I have no children, but whenever I see very pregnant women, I mentally send them some comforting vibes as it doesn't look easy.)

LadyL, I've already got a "no..just no" list of people that have over applied, applied four times under different emails (?!?!), or after a phone interview I deemed a poor match and/or crazy (I spend more time with my employees than I do my cats, so we all need to get along.)  Since I often post for some pretty specialized skill sets, I've had the same resumes come to me several different times, even if years apart.  One lady made it all the way to an in person interview and I really wanted to hire her. She talked the right industry lingo and sounded knowledgeable and experienced. She was well spoken, middle aged, and one of the few applicants that knew how to dress correctly for an interview.  She seemed like a classy dream of an employee! I was so excited! Then I checked her references (with permission!) They were ALL bad, and some of them she'd not even held the position she'd stated, but much much lower job duties.  (Think saying you were lead sous chef when really you were a part time dishwasher!) 

I've got three people set up for interviews for the new position next week. And I had a nasty email from a woman who stated in her email something like she knew the ad stated experience required, but as an employer I should and direct quote here --- "remember that just because someone doesn't have "work" experience doing something doesn't mean they do not understand the process"

Earlier in the email she'd also demanded she needed the high end of the pay scale for this position she's not qualified to hold. Her resume did not list any jobs even remotely related to my industry.  This job isn't a repeated process, like say building dolls where once you learn one you can do the rest.   One must be versed in what I need so that when something is wrong or different they know how to process the data. I emailed her back - "Thank you for your application, but you do not meet the min. requirements for the position."   She actually replied to that and continued to argue her case. I marked her email as spam, since it is a throw away email account, I really don't care.  I'm so thankful I have control over who I work around. I think I'd quit if she were hired!
 :P
Sorry about my spelling.

White Lotus

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2013, 07:48:16 PM »
Please send some kind of auto response with a cut-off date.  To do otherwise seems cruel.  To answer each one personally seems cruel to you!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2013, 08:25:41 PM »
I like the idea of an auto reply that says, 'Your application has been received.  If you are going to selected for an interview, you will receive a call by X date.  Thank you.'
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

elephantschild

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2013, 08:36:32 PM »
OP, I have no advice, but I just wanted to say something.

Thank you.

Thank you for giving me hope that there are people out there who want to do things "the right way" instead of just "the normal way." Thank you for wanting to treat your employees, even your applicants, like human beings. Thank you for caring that they (at least the sincere ones) know that there is a human being at the other end of the application process.

It seems so much these days that businesses just consider their employees throw-away commodities to be discarded or misused instead of actual people with lives outside those doors. :( I've seen and heard too many cases of this happening.

So ... thank you.
"But there was one Elephant -- a new Elephant -- an Elephant's Child--who was full of 'satiable curtiosity, and that means he asked ever so many questions."
-- "Just So Stories," Rudyard Kipling

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2013, 12:40:41 AM »
I work in HR, and the way we typically handle applicants to positions is that everyone gets a form letter just for submitting an application. We use it to request demographic information (that we have to request for reporting purposes). Since that information is optional, we prefer to request after the application has already been submitted. We also let the applicants know that our search process is somewhat lengthy, so they should interpret silence from us as serious consideration of their materials.

When we've hired someone for the position or otherwise stopped looking, we send letters out to everyone who applied letting them know the position has been filled (or whatever), and thank them for their time in applying for it.

That's kind of a lot of communication, but I make extensive use of mail merge capabilities. I have to keep a spreadsheet of everyone who applies to any given position for other reasons anyway, so I just note their address and other pertinent information, and it takes not very much time at all to generate a personalized form letter to send out.

Granted, recruitment is a large part of my job, so someone who doesn't have dedicated staff working on recruitment isn't necessarily going to have time for all of that. I would say that responding to applicants as they send you stuff is nice, but not strictly necessary. Responding to applicants when you have made your final selection and know you won't be hiring them is, in my opinion, essential to following good business etiquette.

One other thing I kind of wonder, though, is how targeted your advertising is. Most of the people in my department work in a very specialized field that is not well understood by people who haven't been exposed to it. As a result, if we post advertisements too generally, we get a lot of applications from people who clearly have absolutely no idea what we do. We try to target our advertisements to industry-specific (or at least industry-related) organizations and websites as much as we can. I mentally groan whenever someone asks me to post a job somewhere like Craigslist or Monster.com, because we get so many totally-does-not-understand-the-position applicants that way.

If you're posting in general job listings for specialized positions, it might be worth looking into more industry-specific locations to advertise your positions. That will, hopefully, attract an applicant pool that at least speaks and understands your language, even if they aren't all perfectly qualified for your positions.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2013, 01:09:29 AM »
Noph..I remember rubbing my belly and saying "Mommy will never do that to you".  I was getting calls like that all day long.  To some people the requirements were something they didn't understand.  I would ask them if they had sales experience and I got some doozy's..no (didn't read that ad now did ja?), I sold hoagies for my school band (umm..no) and my favorites were the out right liars that gladly gave you professional references that didn't come close to matching up what they claimed to have accomplished, including my favorite-we actually hired this woman out of desperation for a warm body -and I checked her references on her first day, finding out she was out on bail for felony retail theft from her last employer..she would insist on ringing up her own customers then skim the till  :o :o.  She left before lunch.  I am looking for work and I have years of retail management and AR/AP experience including filing tax returns and a few different accounting programs..I try to only reply to ads that have my skill set, but sometimes I get a wild hair and throw a net out, but it is something in my field but not exactly my area of expertise.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2013, 10:51:17 AM »
I would put in your next ad:  Please note, if you do not possess the required qualifications, you will not receive a response to your application.

For this time around, if it were 20 applications or less, I would send an email indicating that their application will not be considered because they lack the required qualifications.  Copy/paste or all in one with BCC, whichever is easiest.  If it's more than that, I wouldn't worry about it.

The way it works for my company is that there is no communication with the applicant unless they are being considered for an interview.  After a candidate has been hired and they have accepted the job, the other interviewees are told either verbally or in writing that they were not the successful candidate.

So if you've been responding to everyone, I think you've been going above and beyond.

I think you've essentially already done that.

I agree, if you've been responding to everyone, you're going above and beyond.

if you want to stay in that mode, I'd go with a cut-and-paste reply and not think anything more about it.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2013, 10:31:30 PM »
At first it seemed that anyone with Fast Food experience was put into file 13/circular file and I hope that is not the case.  Some with degrees and former "real" office jobs are now working anything they can get.

I wanted to also say, unless your job has specific FINRA testing and scores that must be met, and specific background checks, do not be too hesitant to read some resumes with less than cookie cutter molds.

(I started to write a long post but...)

Some of the best teachers at my kids' private school do not have specific educational degrees.  Because of that, if they were to apply today, the new HR person would not even schedule a call with them, based on degree alone.  And many students would be missing out.

And some of the new hires, with all the right credentials, last only a year or two because our school is not a cookie cutter mold and they have trouble adapting. 

So, good luck out there, and may the best applicant be revealed!
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2013, 01:45:43 AM »

I'm currently looking for a job, as the contract job I'm working on will be ending soon. I, too, am desperate for employment.

But I don't see the point in wasting my time writing a cover letter and sending in an application for a job I'm clearly not qualified for. I'd rather spend my time writing a strong cover letter and reworking my resume for a job I've got a chance at getting.

I completely agree with you; I am just giving one possibility as to why non-qualifying people apply. I only apply to jobs I am really qualified to do. Even that isn't good enough sometimes. Companies want what has been called the "purple squirrel."

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2013, 02:24:52 PM »
One other thing I kind of wonder, though, is how targeted your advertising is. Most of the people in my department work in a very specialized field that is not well understood by people who haven't been exposed to it.

I'm a CPA and I'm guessing that she doesn't need an industry specific person, just someone reasonable well versed in dealing with numbers. Accounting (in my experience) is very much a job were the specifics are easy to pick up so long as you are comfortable with the basics.

I think an auto-reply would be a good idea. I don't really expect a tailored response when I apply, but a notice that my resume has been received is nice.

darling

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2013, 02:17:49 PM »
I have a friend who does this... continually applying for jobs where she doesn't have the qualifications needed.

For example, a specific degree was required for one of the positions she applied for. She does not have that degree, or anything even close to it. She applied anyway, because, "I'm a fast learner. I can learn anything." No, you can't, because if there is a candidate who HAS the degree and requisite experience, it is going to be a LOT easier to bring that person up to speed in a job than it would be to train someone who doesn't have the background experience.

It's an employers' market out there right now, and she wondered why she couldn't get an interview even though she had applied to everything and anything...