Author Topic: S/O: MIL redecorating....SIL and boundary trampling  (Read 22637 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: S/O: MIL redecorating....SIL and boundary trampling
« Reply #105 on: August 20, 2013, 06:57:52 PM »

Tea Drinker

« Reply #106 on: August 20, 2013, 07:00:20 PM »
Or a few female ginkgo trees: beautiful flowers, and vile  smelling fruit. >:D

What flowers? They aren't flowering trees, and from the female ginkgos in my old neighborhood, I don't remember anything resembling flowers. (The leaves go a very pretty yellow in the fall, though.)

[Yes, this is OT, but arguably so is the entire last page.]
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #107 on: August 20, 2013, 07:07:08 PM »
Yes female Ginkgo trees do have flowers, they are tiny, but they start out green and will turn white or pink.  They bloom in the spring and the fruit usually shows up in the fall

aiki

• We can't all have Pippa's backside.
« Reply #108 on: August 20, 2013, 07:48:12 PM »
Yes female Ginkgo trees do have flowers, they are tiny, but they start out green and will turn white or pink.  They bloom in the spring and the fruit usually shows up in the fall

And the fruit smells like St Hidas Charitable Home for Incontinent Tomcats. Perfect.
"A true gentleman is one who is never unintentionally rude."  - Oscar Wilde

snowfire

« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2013, 08:07:08 PM »
And the fruit smells like St Hidas Charitable Home for Incontinent Tomcats. Perfect.
ROFLMAO

StarFaerie

« Reply #110 on: August 21, 2013, 04:03:15 AM »

I believe they aren't technically flowers, they are merely an ovule in females and a cone in the males. They do look a lot like a flower though.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #111 on: August 21, 2013, 11:06:51 AM »
It's too bad that American Chestnuts have taken such a hit, the seedpods were very, very spiny and a real pain to get rid of

amylouky

« Reply #112 on: August 21, 2013, 11:52:37 AM »
*Snip*

Barring hickory trees, sweet gums. Hundreds of prickly little seed balls that fall off come fall..yep. they're also a messy, messy tree.

I was going to suggest sweet gums. We have them, and they are a PAIN.

Sweet gums are by far the most annoying tree I've ever seen. Those spiky balls cover EVERYTHING, and they hurt. I actually drew blood stepping on one barefoot. We had seven of them in our front yard (which was not large) when we moved in to our house. We've had all but one removed.. hate 'em.

SCMagnolia

« Reply #113 on: August 21, 2013, 12:31:01 PM »
Hickory trees, people.

Hickory nuts are encased in bright green cases that pop open into 4 sections and drop the nut out when the nuts are ripe. Sometimes the whole thing falls off the tree. Inside the case, they're a bit bigger than a golf ball. The sections of the case are hard and brittle and hurt like a you-know-what to step on, since the ends are pointy.

This.  Definitely this.  My yard is full of hickory trees (and squirrels, chipmunks, and any bird that can carry off a hickory nut in the shell.)  When the nuts start falling off, it looks like it SNOWED the little buggers and they are absolutely treacherous to try to walk on.  Not to mention the fun of hitting them with a lawnmower ...  INCOMING!!!!!!   >:D

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #114 on: August 21, 2013, 02:27:01 PM »
*Snip*

Barring hickory trees, sweet gums. Hundreds of prickly little seed balls that fall off come fall..yep. they're also a messy, messy tree.

I was going to suggest sweet gums. We have them, and they are a PAIN.

Sweet gums are by far the most annoying tree I've ever seen. Those spiky balls cover EVERYTHING, and they hurt. I actually drew blood stepping on one barefoot. We had seven of them in our front yard (which was not large) when we moved in to our house. We've had all but one removed.. hate 'em.

There's a large sweet gum tree in my subdivision, towards the entrance. The subdivision is on a slight slope, and the sweet gum is at the top of the slope. It's a HUGE tree. Every fall, the road is absolutely full of those balls because they fall off the tree and roll down the street. They collect along the curbs and when we get heavy rain, they wash out of the sewers and re-circulate around the place.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #115 on: August 21, 2013, 02:29:17 PM »
Hickory trees, people.

Hickory nuts are encased in bright green cases that pop open into 4 sections and drop the nut out when the nuts are ripe. Sometimes the whole thing falls off the tree. Inside the case, they're a bit bigger than a golf ball. The sections of the case are hard and brittle and hurt like a you-know-what to step on, since the ends are pointy.

This.  Definitely this.  My yard is full of hickory trees (and squirrels, chipmunks, and any bird that can carry off a hickory nut in the shell.)  When the nuts start falling off, it looks like it SNOWED the little buggers and they are absolutely treacherous to try to walk on.  Not to mention the fun of hitting them with a lawnmower ...  INCOMING!!!!!!   >:D

When I was a kid, our next door neighbor had two massive old hickory trees and a sweet gum in his yard. He'd pay me and his daughter a few dollars each to go around the yard in fall with buckets and collect all the nuts and sweet gum balls, and then he'd have a bonfire with the contents of the buckets.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2013, 08:05:37 AM »
Magnolias.

They're beautiful trees but when those fat flower petals fall, the pavement can get extremely slippery.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #117 on: August 22, 2013, 10:30:27 AM »
Magnolias.

They're beautiful trees but when those fat flower petals fall, the pavement can get extremely slippery.

Don't forget the seed pods.  The leaves don't break down very fast - the waxy look seems to be something protective so they have to be raked up and gotten rid of deliberately.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #118 on: August 22, 2013, 11:30:19 AM »
It's too bad that American Chestnuts have taken such a hit, the seedpods were very, very spiny and a real pain to get rid of

Well then clearly it would be a good thing to start re-introducing them into (hehheh) barren areas, yes? >:D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #119 on: August 22, 2013, 12:15:20 PM »
Aspen trees are great too!  They grow very fast (we have three 30 year old aspens in our backyard, and they're each over 30 feet tall - a foot a year isn't a bad growth rate!), and they are honestly the messiest trees I've encountered.  Any breeze is enough to drop leaves on the yard, and strong storms will leave the yard littered with sticks and branches.  Plus the leaves every fall - aspens are some of the first to drop their leaves, so it can be quite unexpected if you've never had them before. :P

I love my huge aspen trees - in addition to all the horrors, they shade our house and yard wonderfully, and actually helped shield our roof from some hail damage a couple weeks ago (still need to replace the roof, but the insurance guy said without the aspens it might have been an emergency "hole in the ceiling" type of repair).