Author Topic: S/O: MIL redecorating....SIL and boundary trampling  (Read 22917 times)

White Lotus

Re: S/O: MIL redecorating....SIL and boundary trampling
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2013, 11:56:47 AM »
The Arbor Day society will, in return for a small donation, send you a whole lot of little baby trees!  I might enthusiastically tell them I am going to make the donation and plant all the trees in their yard, since it is so barren!  Of course, they'll have to pay for sprinklers but, hey, it is so totally your business to landscape their yard to your tastes!  Maybe that might sink in.
You can always make the donation and plant the little baby trees somewhere else.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2013, 07:42:12 AM »
Now that makes me want a whole lot of little baby trees!  They sound so cute!  Of course, we back to woods, so we probably don't need any more.  :)

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2013, 07:53:31 AM »
The Arbor Day society will, in return for a small donation, send you a whole lot of little baby trees!  I might enthusiastically tell them I am going to make the donation and plant all the trees in their yard, since it is so barren!  Of course, they'll have to pay for sprinklers but, hey, it is so totally your business to landscape their yard to your tastes!  Maybe that might sink in.
You can always make the donation and plant the little baby trees somewhere else.

ha..I just got a packet from them in the mail. I think for a $20 donation they would send something like 10 or 15 trees.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2013, 12:18:53 PM »
Too bad that a nice two story tall tree to shade the front porch would be so expensive.....

Snarky and Evil were plotting on how to get three or four nice, good sized trees to put around your ILs' house(s) - one front and one back minimum.

Nothing less than two stories tall.  Bonus points for something with seed pods AND indestructible leaves (pine needles AND pine cones or magnolia leaves the size of luncheon plates that never seem to go away - as a bonus, the magnolia also has seed pods the size of small apples from those lovely ivory flowers).

They've taken notes on what you have to pick up before mowing the yard or use a net to get out of the swimming pool.....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2013, 02:03:54 PM »

ha..I just got a packet from them in the mail. I think for a $20 donation they would send something like 10 or 15 trees.

If we need some trees when (if) DH finally find a house, I am SO remembering that.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2013, 02:16:23 PM »
Too bad that a nice two story tall tree to shade the front porch would be so expensive.....

Snarky and Evil were plotting on how to get three or four nice, good sized trees to put around your ILs' house(s) - one front and one back minimum.

Nothing less than two stories tall.  Bonus points for something with seed pods AND indestructible leaves (pine needles AND pine cones or magnolia leaves the size of luncheon plates that never seem to go away - as a bonus, the magnolia also has seed pods the size of small apples from those lovely ivory flowers).

They've taken notes on what you have to pick up before mowing the yard or use a net to get out of the swimming pool.....

Or a nice big oak with lots of acorns.  That attract every [redacted] squirrel in 10 square miles.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Tea Drinker

« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2013, 02:25:02 PM »
Maples are nice. Pretty, light-green flowers early in the spring, lots of cute seed pods drifting down to add more maples, and glorious fall colors.

If I ever have a yard and a choice of what to plant, it will probably include a maple, even though I know that means spending a lot of time pulling up tiny seedlings before they become difficult-to-yank saplings near the house.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2013, 03:25:31 PM »
mmmm Sugar Maples :)

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2013, 04:20:16 PM »
Hickory trees, people.

Hickory nuts are encased in bright green cases that pop open into 4 sections and drop the nut out when the nuts are ripe. Sometimes the whole thing falls off the tree. Inside the case, they're a bit bigger than a golf ball. The sections of the case are hard and brittle and hurt like a you-know-what to step on, since the ends are pointy.

The shells of the nuts themselves look like little boats when they're split open. They also attract every crow and squirrel in the area. I don't know why, but crows seem to love hickory nuts. The squirrels and crows leave the little hickory shells all over the yard. Also, Hickory trees grow quite tall, though their trunk diameter doesn't get as impressive as, say, an oak tree does.

We have a very small hickory tree growing in our back yard right now. This is the first year it has made nuts. DH took one look at it and said "it has to go" because those nuts turn into projectiles if hit by the mower, and neither of us want to go outside with a bucket to pick every single nut that falls.

Barring hickory trees, sweet gums. Hundreds of prickly little seed balls that fall off come fall..yep. they're also a messy, messy tree.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2013, 04:32:31 PM »
Apple trees, unless anyone in the house is allergic to bee stings. Bees love apples. Especially after they've been sitting on the ground for a while, fermenting. Bees get drunk on fermenting apples, and then you can just pick the apples up (even covered in bees) and toss them wherever and the bees just either hold on for dear life, or wobbily follow the apple's flight path.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

cattlekid

« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2013, 04:43:30 PM »
I like this one.  It will keep FIL busy spray painting and relocating squirrels.  He actually did that once when a squirrel got in the attic.  He trapped the squirrel, spray painted it orange, then drove it across a river to make sure it didn't come back.

Or a nice big oak with lots of acorns.  That attract every [redacted] squirrel in 10 square miles.

wheeitsme

« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2013, 04:58:13 PM »
I like this one.  It will keep FIL busy spray painting and relocating squirrels.  He actually did that once when a squirrel got in the attic.  He trapped the squirrel, spray painted it orange, then drove it across a river to make sure it didn't come back.

Oh poor squirrel!  That was cruel.  If the paint didn't kill it, the predators sure as heck did!

stkatie00

« Reply #102 on: August 20, 2013, 05:02:29 PM »
*Snip*

Barring hickory trees, sweet gums. Hundreds of prickly little seed balls that fall off come fall..yep. they're also a messy, messy tree.

I was going to suggest sweet gums. We have them, and they are a PAIN.

sidi-ji

« Reply #103 on: August 20, 2013, 06:12:03 PM »
Or a few female ginkgo trees: beautiful flowers, and vile  smelling fruit. >:D

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
« Reply #104 on: August 20, 2013, 06:32:32 PM »
Durian.