Author Topic: S/O: MIL redecorating....SIL and boundary trampling  (Read 22083 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: S/O: MIL redecorating....SIL and boundary trampling
« Reply #120 on: August 22, 2013, 02:28:22 PM »
It's too bad that American Chestnuts have taken such a hit, the seedpods were very, very spiny and a real pain to get rid of

Well then clearly it would be a good thing to start re-introducing them into (hehheh) barren areas, yes? >:D

They will sprout into seedlings but the fungus that attacks them will kill them before they can really mature :(

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #121 on: August 22, 2013, 03:05:37 PM »
We are a gloriously evil bunch here.  >:D
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #122 on: August 22, 2013, 05:03:42 PM »
It's too bad that American Chestnuts have taken such a hit, the seedpods were very, very spiny and a real pain to get rid of

Well then clearly it would be a good thing to start re-introducing them into (hehheh) barren areas, yes? >:D

They will sprout into seedlings but the fungus that attacks them will kill them before they can really mature :(

Yeah, it's so sad.  There were a lot where I grew up and they are all gone now.   :-[

doodlemor

« Reply #123 on: August 22, 2013, 06:42:29 PM »

We were given a chestnut seedling from a wilderness area to grow in our yard.  The theory is to keep the species alive until the fungus can be eradicated.  Our chestnut is about 20 feet tall - I just went out to check.  It also has some of the spiny green things on it that I hadn't noticed before.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #124 on: August 22, 2013, 08:15:43 PM »
What, no kudzu?
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

CuriousParty

« Reply #125 on: August 22, 2013, 09:25:33 PM »
Magnolias.

They're beautiful trees but when those fat flower petals fall, the pavement can get extremely slippery.

Don't forget the seed pods.  The leaves don't break down very fast - the waxy look seems to be something protective so they have to be raked up and gotten rid of deliberately.
Yes, the seed pods that are ankle breakers, and the leaves that fall all.year.round and NEVER decompose as far as I can tell, and the slippery petals. <looking ruefully out the front window> 

PastryGoddess

« Reply #126 on: August 22, 2013, 11:52:26 PM »

We were given a chestnut seedling from a wilderness area to grow in our yard.  The theory is to keep the species alive until the fungus can be eradicated.  Our chestnut is about 20 feet tall - I just went out to check.  It also has some of the spiny green things on it that I hadn't noticed before.

That's usually the limit of their growth before the fungus gets to them.  Are there any oaks in your yard or neighborhood?  Red oaks are actually hosts for the fungus so keep an eye out for them.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #127 on: August 23, 2013, 12:41:34 AM »
What, no kudzu?

I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Not unless I could also wish goats upon them.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Asharah

« Reply #128 on: August 23, 2013, 01:22:40 AM »
What, no kudzu?

I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Not unless I could also wish goats upon them.
Great idea! Does OP's MIL like goat cheese? What a great gift! Now she can make her own. Once she gets done breeding them so they actually produce milk. And figures out to milk them.
And how about some chickens so she can have fresh eggs. Providing she figures out how to get them away from the chicken without losing a hand in the process.  ;D
Ooops, I forgot the cow.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 01:31:05 AM by Asharah »
Asharah

Specky

« Reply #129 on: August 23, 2013, 02:01:14 AM »
Air potatoes.  This is the vine that gives kudzu a run for its money.

BarensMom

« Reply #130 on: August 23, 2013, 02:12:11 AM »
There's a flowering plant with a hard black seed that once it gets going, it's almost impossible to get rid of.  I wish I knew what it was, because OP could accidentally on purpose toss a few of those seeds around MIL/SIL's yard and it'll be off to the races.

I first saw it as a kid (45+ years ago).  It was a single plant at the corner of 26th & McBryde.  We kids liked the seeds and would pick them and carry them all over the place.  I think the homeowners all over North & East Richmond are to this very day still trying to eradicate it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 12:47:00 PM by BarensMom »

nayberry

« Reply #131 on: August 23, 2013, 05:59:26 AM »
bamboo  or mint,  both spread so fast and if in the ground you're never getting rid of them

Craftymom

« Reply #132 on: August 23, 2013, 06:59:16 AM »
bamboo  or mint,  both spread so fast and if in the ground you're never getting rid of them

I would add blackberries to this list...

squeakers

« Reply #133 on: August 23, 2013, 10:25:31 AM »
There's a flowering plant with a hard black seed that once it gets going, it's almost impossible to get rid of.  I wish I knew what it was, because OP could accidentally on purpose toss a few of those seeds around MIL/SIL's yard and it'll be off to the races.

I first saw it as a kid (45+ years ago).  It was a single plant at the corner of 26th & McBryde.  We kids liked the seeds and would pick them and carry them all over the place.  I think the homeowners all over North & East Richmond are to this very day are still trying to eradicate it.

Morning Glory?
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

PastryGoddess

« Reply #134 on: August 23, 2013, 11:13:01 AM »
I was thinking wisteria