General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Cleaning out Office Fridge

(1/14) > >>

Syfygeek:
On Tuesday of this week I sent out this email-
Friday morning the fridge will be cleaned out. Anything not marked with an employee name, or anything that has grown fuzz will be tossed. All half empty drinks, suspicious containers, and anything with an expiration date that is in the past will be tossed.

I also posted a sign on the fridge. You know where this is going, right? Cleaned out the breakroom fridge this morning. Tossed 3 year old cans of V8; 2 year old mayo, and a bunch of clear plastic containers I was not opening- if I couldn't identify the contents through the plastic, I was not opening them to see if they smelled ???

One hour after cleaning, coworker comes down the hall- where's her tunafish? She says it had only been there a "few days", I should have known it was hers. No name, no date, how was I to know? (and it did not look like tuna in the container)

Is there any way I could have been clearer?  She did go retrieve her tuna from the trash bag.

MrTango:
I don't think there's reason why your message needed to be clearer, however I would suggest an alternative method.

Next time, send an email on Friday a full week before your purge.  For example, if you were to send it today, say:

"On Friday, [date of cleaning] at [end of the day], the refrigerator and freezer will be emptied.  All personal posessions must be removed from the refrigerator and freezer by [time] or they will be thrown out.  There will be no exceptions."

Then, send a repeat of the email on Monday morning along with a printed note attached to the door of the refrigerator.

In the morning of the date of the cleaning, send out a final email.  Send it high priority with a subject line that says "FINAL NOTICE - Refrigerator Cleaning TODAY"

In the body, say "At [time] today, the refrigerator and freezer will be emptied.  All personal posessions must be removed from the refrigerator and freezer by [time] or they will be thrown out. There will be no exceptions."

Then, at the appointed time, empty everything out of the refrigerator into the trash bin.  Be merciless once or twice and people will catch on.

camlan:
I think you were pretty clear.

I think every office fridge cleanout needs this to happen at least once, so that everyone is aware that stuff does indeed get tossed.

Some people read signs and emails and follow directions.

Other people fish tuna out of the trash.

alice:
we usually clean the fridge out AFTER lunch.

siamesecat2965:

--- Quote from: camlan on August 02, 2013, 12:11:04 PM ---I think you were pretty clear.

I think every office fridge cleanout needs this to happen at least once, so that everyone is aware that stuff does indeed get tossed.

Some people read signs and emails and follow directions.

Other people fish tuna out of the trash.

--- End quote ---

This. I honestly don't see the need to send out more than the initial email and a reminder. They are all presumeably adults, and if they think that exceptions will be made for them, oh well. Live and learn. maybe the next time they'll remember to either take it or label it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version