Author Topic: Cleaning out Office Fridge  (Read 17466 times)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Cleaning out Office Fridge
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2013, 04:50:03 PM »
Cleaning the office fridge - the stuff nightmares are made of. :P

You could post notices in letters a foot high, send e-mails every day for a month, put fliers on everyone's desk, wait until dark oh-thirty on a Friday night, and someone will come to you and and pitch a hissy about you tossing their (fill in the blank).

It's a thankless task, but someone has to be the scapegoat do it.

This.

We clean out our fridge at work when the ice starts building up. We, meaning me. I send out an email at the beginning of the week and one the day before. 2pm Friday it gets unplugged. Everyone deals, and nobody whines because my boss backs me up.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Jocelyn

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2013, 09:26:50 PM »

Next time, send an email on Friday a full week before your purge.  For example, if you were to send it today, say:

"On Friday, [date of cleaning] at [end of the day], the refrigerator and freezer will be emptied.  All personal posessions must be removed from the refrigerator and freezer by [time] or they will be thrown out.  There will be no exceptions."
I think this would cause hard feelings. I wouldn't want to have to carry home my salad dressing or other condiments, to bring them back again on Monday. I think that letting people label their stuff, and leaving stuff that is obviously still good (say, an unopened can of soda) would be best.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2013, 11:53:47 PM »

Next time, send an email on Friday a full week before your purge.  For example, if you were to send it today, say:

"On Friday, [date of cleaning] at [end of the day], the refrigerator and freezer will be emptied.  All personal posessions must be removed from the refrigerator and freezer by [time] or they will be thrown out.  There will be no exceptions."
I think this would cause hard feelings. I wouldn't want to have to carry home my salad dressing or other condiments, to bring them back again on Monday. I think that letting people label their stuff, and leaving stuff that is obviously still good (say, an unopened can of soda) would be best.

Yeah, we label and date our stuff, and at clean-outs anything older than a month gets tossed. If it's something you might want to keep for a long time, you can just write a new date on it before the clean-out.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2013, 12:04:59 AM »
Uh - she got the days-old tuna out of the trash? And presumably ate it????????

So much wrong with that.

She may well not have eaten it, but wanted her container back.

Cherry91

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2013, 07:07:01 AM »
It was in student halls, not at work, but a few years back I was sharing a fridge with some disgusting individuals that seemed to think that fridges were magical and could keep something fresh forever.

One of them once left a pizza box on the shelf for almost a month. I was desperately trying to avoid getting into the habit of cleaning up after them, but eventually I could take it no more. The box took up an entire shelf, and the contents were blue, furry, and honestly looked like they were a day from getting up and walking off. I threw the box and its contents away, but as it was a large pizza box, it stayed near the top of the bin.

Not even an hour later, Slob demands to know who had thrown away his food. I informed him it wasn't food anymore and hadn't been for several weeks now, but he insisted it was still good and he had intended to eat it "any day now".

So I got a bit mean. I went to the bin, pulled out the box, put it in front of him and told him if he wanted the argument to continue, he had to take a bite of the pizza, right there, right then, in front of the gathered hallmates.

He went slightly green and conceded the point.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2013, 10:15:21 AM »
VorGuy started a new job here in July 2005.  In July 2010(? might have been 2011), after his first co-teacher retired, they decided to let the mini-fridge in their office "thaw" overnight.

Who knew there was an ice tray in the little freezer section?

Amazingly enough, without a solid block of ice in the top - the fridge actually keeps water bottles colder!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2013, 11:36:47 AM »
OP, you were fine.  People at my work put their lunches in the fridge loose - a sandwich container with a couple of yogurts and and apple, just floating around.  Put it in a bag, people!  Drives me nuts, it does.

I've cleaned out the fridge in the morning before.  The only guy who was mad was the guy who couldn't read.  I had to move one container from where it was.  When I moved it to clean underneath it, the lid popped off and I couldn't get it to go back on so I fit it the best I could then moved the dish to a level spot so the lid wouldn't fall off again.  And sent an email to the office so the person would know exactly where it was.  I happened to be in the lunchroom when he started whining that I'd thrown his food out.   ::)

I just can't figure out why people bring food in and just leave it there in the fridge.  If you didn't eat it today, why wouldn't you take it home for dinner or eat it tomorrow?  I've done that a couple of times when I ended up going out for lunch unexpectedly.  But then, my lunch is in a cloth bag so when I see the next morning, at home, that my bag is missing, it twigs me that I already have lunch in the fridge at work.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2013, 12:55:51 PM »
OP, you were fine.  People at my work put their lunches in the fridge loose - a sandwich container with a couple of yogurts and and apple, just floating around.  Put it in a bag, people!  Drives me nuts, it does.

I've cleaned out the fridge in the morning before.  The only guy who was mad was the guy who couldn't read.  I had to move one container from where it was.  When I moved it to clean underneath it, the lid popped off and I couldn't get it to go back on so I fit it the best I could then moved the dish to a level spot so the lid wouldn't fall off again.  And sent an email to the office so the person would know exactly where it was.  I happened to be in the lunchroom when he started whining that I'd thrown his food out.   ::)

I just can't figure out why people bring food in and just leave it there in the fridge.  If you didn't eat it today, why wouldn't you take it home for dinner or eat it tomorrow?  I've done that a couple of times when I ended up going out for lunch unexpectedly.  But then, my lunch is in a cloth bag so when I see the next morning, at home, that my bag is missing, it twigs me that I already have lunch in the fridge at work.

I iwll sometimes stick a yogurt or something packaged in the fridge, sans bag, but i always put myu initials on it, and usually eat it within a day or so. but anything i put in my own container, or a piece of fruit, gets put in a bag.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2013, 01:10:29 PM »
A labelled yogurt is cool.  But we constantly have people eating other people's yogurts because nobody labels them and people think they are grabbing their own, not remembering what flavour they brought.

Not an issue for me - I can't stand the stuff!  I kept trying but I couldn't find one I liked.  I've given up.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Chip2

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2013, 07:45:54 PM »
I put together a cheerfully worded sign that included the words "Everything will go!"

I followed that up with "Yes, new stuff, old stuff, and Tupperware! If you want to keep it put it in the other fridge."

E-mails, signs, and verbal warnings went out. A sign went up on the other fridge:  "This fridge is safe!"

My boss at the time (who was an idiot) said people wouldn't understand the signs and that I'd be dealing with too many complaints. I said "I don't care; the fridge is getting cleaned."

On clean-out day there were zero problems.

Bluenomi

« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2013, 11:00:19 PM »
I have learned that no matter how many signs you post and how many emails you send and how much warning you give, someone will always complain when you clean the fridge. Thankfully my boss' opinion is people were given warning, it's their own fault if they didn't heed it.

I'm pretty generous. In date stuff stays, I'll emtpy all but the grossest containers and put them in the dishwasher. If I know who owns something really gross I'll let them know it's there before tossing it (especially when it's their wife's good tupperware). But still people pout.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2013, 04:18:38 PM »
A labelled yogurt is cool.  But we constantly have people eating other people's yogurts because nobody labels them and people think they are grabbing their own, not remembering what flavour they brought.

Not an issue for me - I can't stand the stuff!  I kept trying but I couldn't find one I liked.  I've given up.

Someone once grabbed a yogurt out of our office fridge. Took one huge spoonful and then started gagging. Then, when he could talk again, he accused "somone" of planting deliberately foul-tasting yogurt in the fridge. You know, the way sometimes people suggest putting hot sauce in food to foil fridge thieves?

Only it was my yogurt, properly labeled with my initials. And it was perfectly fine. He'd just never tasted plain, unsweetened yogurt before.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2013, 06:56:11 PM »
If anyone ever grabbed VorGuy's cottage cheese out of the fridge and took a big spoon full - they'd know he was born & bred in the Southwest!  And they'd never touch anything with his initials on it again....  It would contain lots of chopped jalapeno peppers & raw onion laced to the max - he loves hot food (born in Tucson, Arizona - raised in Arizona, Texas, Hawaii, and a side trip with his parents to someplace in Southeast Asia before going back to Thailand as a young man during the late pleasantness there (1960s & early 1970s - deliberate riff on the way old timers in the American South referred to the American Civil War 1861-1865, for those not conversant with American History - think Gone With The Wind). 

He has been known to complain that I don't put enough jalapeno bits in it when I make it for him....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Syfygeek

« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2013, 09:27:56 AM »
Sort of an Update-

It's been a week, and the fridge is still clean. Containers have initials, and the fridge no longer smells.

BUT- there is a ziploc baggie of cut veggies in there. Last week, during the purge, I chose to leave it because they looked freshly chopped, still firm. The baggie is still there, the veggies now have started to decay, look brown and slightly liquified. I want to throw it out, but it belongs to tuna co-worker. I know as soon as I toss it, she'll complain that I took her lunch.

I'm on vacation next week, and I'm willing to bet the bag will be there when I get back.
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Alias

« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2013, 09:43:27 AM »
Sort of an Update-

It's been a week, and the fridge is still clean. Containers have initials, and the fridge no longer smells.

BUT- there is a ziploc baggie of cut veggies in there. Last week, during the purge, I chose to leave it because they looked freshly chopped, still firm. The baggie is still there, the veggies now have started to decay, look brown and slightly liquified. I want to throw it out, but it belongs to tuna co-worker. I know as soon as I toss it, she'll complain that I took her lunch.

I'm on vacation next week, and I'm willing to bet the bag will be there when I get back.

I'd be very tempted to toss it as I walk out the door for vacation.  Then by the time you get back, it will hopefully be forgotten.

And *ewwww*