Author Topic: Cleaning out Office Fridge  (Read 18191 times)

Syfygeek

Cleaning out Office Fridge
« on: August 02, 2013, 11:59:51 AM »
On Tuesday of this week I sent out this email-
Friday morning the fridge will be cleaned out. Anything not marked with an employee name, or anything that has grown fuzz will be tossed. All half empty drinks, suspicious containers, and anything with an expiration date that is in the past will be tossed.

I also posted a sign on the fridge. You know where this is going, right? Cleaned out the breakroom fridge this morning. Tossed 3 year old cans of V8; 2 year old mayo, and a bunch of clear plastic containers I was not opening- if I couldn't identify the contents through the plastic, I was not opening them to see if they smelled ???

One hour after cleaning, coworker comes down the hall- where's her tunafish? She says it had only been there a "few days", I should have known it was hers. No name, no date, how was I to know? (and it did not look like tuna in the container)

Is there any way I could have been clearer?  She did go retrieve her tuna from the trash bag.

That's my purse! I don't know you!

MrTango

Re: Cleaning out Office Fridge
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 12:10:16 PM »
I don't think there's reason why your message needed to be clearer, however I would suggest an alternative method.

Next time, send an email on Friday a full week before your purge.  For example, if you were to send it today, say:

"On Friday, [date of cleaning] at [end of the day], the refrigerator and freezer will be emptied.  All personal posessions must be removed from the refrigerator and freezer by [time] or they will be thrown out.  There will be no exceptions."

Then, send a repeat of the email on Monday morning along with a printed note attached to the door of the refrigerator.

In the morning of the date of the cleaning, send out a final email.  Send it high priority with a subject line that says "FINAL NOTICE - Refrigerator Cleaning TODAY"

In the body, say "At [time] today, the refrigerator and freezer will be emptied.  All personal posessions must be removed from the refrigerator and freezer by [time] or they will be thrown out. There will be no exceptions."

Then, at the appointed time, empty everything out of the refrigerator into the trash bin.  Be merciless once or twice and people will catch on.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 12:11:04 PM »
I think you were pretty clear.

I think every office fridge cleanout needs this to happen at least once, so that everyone is aware that stuff does indeed get tossed.

Some people read signs and emails and follow directions.

Other people fish tuna out of the trash.

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

alice

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 12:18:53 PM »
we usually clean the fridge out AFTER lunch.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 12:19:23 PM »

I think every office fridge cleanout needs this to happen at least once, so that everyone is aware that stuff does indeed get tossed.

This. I honestly don't see the need to send out more than the initial email and a reminder. They are all presumeably adults, and if they think that exceptions will be made for them, oh well. Live and learn. maybe the next time they'll remember to either take it or label it.

BarensMom

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 12:45:12 PM »
Cleaning the office fridge - the stuff nightmares are made of. :P

You could post notices in letters a foot high, send e-mails every day for a month, put fliers on everyone's desk, wait until dark oh-thirty on a Friday night, and someone will come to you and and pitch a hissy about you tossing their (fill in the blank).

It's a thankless task, but someone has to be the scapegoat do it.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 12:47:03 PM »
At my school they do this at the end of the day not the morning. One reason is that people remove/finish stuff at lunch. What stopped the complaining was the principal let people who complained have it.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

blueyzca01

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 12:55:11 PM »

This. I honestly don't see the need to send out more than the initial email and a reminder. They are all presumeably adults, and if they think that exceptions will be made for them, oh well. Live and learn. maybe the next time they'll remember to either take it or label it.

Oh, if only they acted like it.  I work with actual rocket scientists who can't figure out that yes, I mean YOU need to remove your items from the fridge.   Every time I clean, someone goes to my boss to complain.  Thank the good Lord above that he backs me up. 
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 01:06:21 PM »
I agree with others, this is normally done at the end of the day.

kckgirl

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 01:06:36 PM »
I think your only mistake was cleaning the fridge this morning instead of after lunch. Even without advance notice, you won't throw out someone's lunch if you do it after normal lunch times.
Maryland

MayHug

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 01:43:02 PM »
Cleaning the office fridge - the stuff nightmares are made of. :P

You could post notices in letters a foot high, send e-mails every day for a month, put fliers on everyone's desk, wait until dark oh-thirty on a Friday night, and someone will come to you and and pitch a hissy about you tossing their (fill in the blank).

It's a thankless task, but someone has to be the scapegoat do it.

POD!

Our office is small, 25 people on 3 shifts. We put out notices, put up notes, tell people and STILL someone will complain. And it's usually stuff that was so old it was unidentifiable as food.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 01:52:29 PM »
VorGuy works in a school - some of the fridges are cleaned out once a semester.....

Ookie....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

cwm

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 02:00:46 PM »
We have notices in bright neon paper laminated and posted to every single fridge in the building (even the one that's not working) telling everyone when the cleaning will be.

We get emails a week in advance and the day before. We got four emails this week because the cleaning was supposed to be last week, but it didn't get done, so it's getting done today instead. These emails go to everyone in the building.

Without a doubt there will be someone complain, say they didn't know. They get told that it's posted, emails are sent, and if they can't read those, it's their own fault.

The only problem I see with OP is that it was cleaned in the morning. Usually in an office it's done after work on Friday, or if it's a shift job, at the end of the day some day. That way everyone has already had their meal break for the day and wouldn't be expected to find some other way to keep their food cold for that day.

Also, coworker fished her food out from the trash?  :o  There is NO WAY I'd ever do something like that. Ew. I don't care if it's sealed tight enough that it could survive a trip to space, I'm NOT fishing through the trash for it. *shudder*

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 02:13:31 PM »
I don't think it matters what time of day it happens as long as it's announced ahead of time, which this was. The complainer could have easily marked her food so it wouldn't have been thrown out. That is pure laziness on her part and I have no sympathy at all.

This is why I never, ever use the fridge at work. For lunch I have a really good Inner Cool lunchbag that stays nice and cold all day, and for beverages I have my trusty Bubba Keg...it's big and insulated so my tea is still nice and cold at the end of the day. I don't contribute to the fridge mess and I don't clean it, either.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Oh Joy

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 02:28:17 PM »
...Friday morning the fridge will be cleaned out. Anything not marked with an employee name, or anything that has grown fuzz will be tossed. All half empty drinks, suspicious containers, and anything with an expiration date that is in the past will be tossed.

...Is there any way I could have been clearer? 

Yes, you could have been more clear, with both procedure and wording.  By cleaning out at the end of day instead of at lunch, you could have avoided the 'Anything not...' exemption.  By not listing the things that were to be thrown (which sounds more like a rant than clarification), you could have kept the message shorter.

The fridge will be cleaned out Friday at 4:00.  All food and food-related items will be thrown away.  Thank you.