Author Topic: Bad Boss Stories...or I can't believe s/he's in management!  (Read 1913 times)

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Bad Boss Stories...or I can't believe s/he's in management!
« on: August 02, 2013, 03:09:13 PM »
Sadly, most of us have probably had at least one bad boss in their working lifetime. I've had a few doozies, and thought it'd be fun to hear about yours. Here's a couple of mine:

1. I had one boss with anger issues. If you said something he didn't like, he'd punch holes in the walls of the office and scream until you thought he was going to rupture an aneurysm or have a heart attack. He also traveled a lot for work (thankfully) but when he called in to the office, no matter who answered the phone, he assumed that every single person in the office knew every single thing each other was doing at any given moment. So, if Joe sent him a fax and it jammed or didn't come through... and Bob happened to answer the phone, Boss expected Bob to know exactly what the fax was without hesitation and would, again, have a screaming fit if bob didn't know precisely what he was talking about. He was lots of fun to work for.

2. The Control Freak boss didn't want to share any info with me-her secretary-but expected me to know things that I wasn't included in. I was supposed to remind her 15 minutes or so before she had meetings so she could prepare, but she wouldn't tell me about meetings she scheduled on her own so they weren't on her calendar. But I was supposed to know about them. But she wouldn't tell me about them. So went around in circles about that many times. She also ate like a pig...she just did...and looked like a total slob most of the time. She required me to clean her desk every day, which entailed throwing away her many fast food/candy wrappers and soda cans/bottles. Then she would yell at me for filing her paperwork where it belonged. But if I didn't file it she yelled at me. See a pattern here? I finally used my backbone and told her that as a professional secretary it was not my role to clean up after her and just stopped doing it. I told her that I would be happy to do any filing that she wanted done but that I couldn't go through the stacks on her desk and make that determination for her.

She also got angry because another employee was in the reserves. When that employee went on her two week required assignment one summer, it happened to be on base here in our city. So, CF boss tracked down the employees CO and told him that the employee was needed at work more that on base & that he needed to send her back. That didn't fly...but CF did find excuses to ding this employees work and demoted her and cut her pay significantly. When I became ill and needed surgery, she got upset that I needed a week off. The Friday before my Monday surgery she demoted me and cut my pay. When I tried to transfer out of her department she blocked the transfer and continued to make my life miserable. I'm so glad I don't work for her anymore.

3. I had another boss who had a closed door policy. She made a rule that certain things could not happen/decisions could not be made without her express permission. She also made a rule that if her office door was closed, she was not to be disturbed under any circumstances. She kept her door closed all the time and would not answer her phone. Of course, she got upset when things didn't get done, and she would also get upset when people went ahead and did things without consulting her first. You just could not win with her.

I'm so thankful for the job I have now. My bosses aren't perfect, but they are so much better than any of these clowns that I'm grateful every day for them!

So, let's hear your stories!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Margo

Re: Bad Boss Stories...or I can't believe s/he's in management!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 03:50:55 PM »
Eeep!

I'm glad you don't work for those bosses any longer!

I had a boss who was a real bully. One of the reception staff noticed that every time an appointment was made for him on a Friday afternoon he would rearrange it, so she asked him whether he would prefer that no appointments were scheduled for him on Friday afternoons. His response was to accuse her of claiming he was leaving early (he was, but as he was one of the business owners it was entirely up to him if he chose to go early) and then threw the appointment diary (A4 size hard cover) at her.

The same boss used to shout and scream at staff and then when they finally snapped and shouted back he would treat it as a disciplinary matter, claiming they'd shouted/screamed at him unprovoked.