Author Topic: Spanikopita UPDATED  (Read 981 times)

Nikko-chan

Spanikopita UPDATED
« on: August 04, 2013, 06:13:44 AM »
I had spanikopita at a fair yesterday... oh my lord it was wonderful. I want to recreate that yumminess at home. I have looked online, but I wanted to ask all of you: What is the best recipe you have for spanikopita?

Also: Can it be frozen?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 07:43:16 PM by Nikko-chan »

Nikko-chan

Re: Spanikopita
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 07:43:02 PM »
I forgot to mention... I found a recipe. I used it. It tasted like spinachy death. >.<

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
Re: Spanikopita
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 09:47:32 PM »
I forgot to mention... I found a recipe. I used it. It tasted like spinachy death. >.<

Oh, can you post it, or a link to it? I hit "notify" on your thread when you posted hoping other people would post recipes. Alas, I still have no idea how to make it, and the ones I've found online have looked way beyond my ability.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

NyaChan

Re: Spanikopita UPDATED
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 05:19:33 AM »
I don't have one particular recipe I use.  I usually just mesh a couple up together and they have a bunch online.  The basics for me are phyllo, spinach, onion, garlic, olive oil, and feta + some seasoning like salt, pepper, nutmeg. You can add in dill, parsley, green onion, and egg for binding as well.

And yes, you can freeze it.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 01:39:34 PM »
I've been keeping an eye on this thread, too.

It seems like Spanikopita is not all that easy to make. Plus I do have a fear of filo because of it's purported tendency to dry out if not used correctly. :(

My solution to spanikopita is the frozen bite-sized appetizers which I serve often at parties and is well received (nary a leftover).

Nikko-chan -- Please post the recipe that you used. Maybe someone can alter it (ala NyaChan) so that it's not so "spinachy death."

Nikko-chan

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 07:30:57 PM »
http://greekfood.about.com/od/pansizedpies/r/Spinach-Pie-With-Feta-Spanakopita.htm

Though reading this it mighta been my fault for the spinachy death taste *sigh*

Psychopoesie

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 02:53:53 AM »
Found a recipe for spanakopita that looks pretty good (not sure if accompanying video will play for US Ehellions). There are also links to 2 other spanakopita recipes.

This one is from a great tv series called Food Safari which explored cooking from a range of different cultures & gets recipes from great home cooks & chefs.

Haven't made it myself but now feeling inspired by this thread to give it a go.

http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/spanakopita