Author Topic: Not Allowed to Use Search  (Read 3834 times)

Luci

• Super Hero!
Re: Not Allowed to Use Search
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2013, 01:34:34 AM »
Are we ever getting Search back? It's getting annoying not having it when I try to find a specific post I'm looking for.
You can always do a site specific search on google. You just type the keywords and then the URL to the forum. It works very well.

Aside from hating Google, I am really hoping that we have the convenience of our own search engine again. Often I am searching for a subject, not a specific post.

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2013, 05:43:30 AM »
Are we ever getting Search back? It's getting annoying not having it when I try to find a specific post I'm looking for.
You can always do a site specific search on google. You just type the keywords and then the URL to the forum. It works very well.

Aside from hating Google, I am really hoping that we have the convenience of our own search engine again. Often I am searching for a subject, not a specific post.

Don't expect to get it back any earlier than September 5th.   There are diagnostics going on to figure out what role the search function is playing in the morning slowdowns.  The forum is considered one of the largest ones using SMF software and so we tread into problem areas not normally experienced by smaller forums.   The bottom line is that this cannot be diagnosed and fixed, I will seriously entertain switching to a completely different forum software which means everyone will have to relearn and renavigate a different looking forum.  I'd rather exhaust all avenues with SMF first.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2013, 07:23:19 AM »
That makes sense.  Thank you for the update!

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2013, 09:39:37 AM »
Thanks.

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2013, 07:01:21 PM »
I am glad it's not just me with the Search issue, but I'm also bummed it isn't working - it was very useful in helping to prevent superfluous threads. Now I have to try and figure out if what I want to ask has been covered before or not.  :-\

I have no idea what SMF means but I hope we can keep the forum - it has one of the best layouts I've ever seen! I have sent other forum creators to this site as an example of how to run an effective forum. I find the layout and navigation very user friendly and easy to use.

Thank you for all your hard work creating and maintaining this (virtual but awesome ;)) place!  ;D
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

squeakers

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2013, 02:48:12 PM »

I have no idea what SMF (snipped)

SMF=Simple Machines Forums http://www.simplemachines.org/ which is who designed and coded the forum layout.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

asb8

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 09:43:30 AM »
I'm guessing the Search feature is still disabled?

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 02:41:45 PM »
For those of you who want to search the forums, you can use a google search with the following format

search term(s) site:etiquettehell.com/smf

the search term can be a word, phrase, etc.  you can put it in quotation marks and use boolean search if you want.  Just make sure there is a space and then the site information. 

PastryGoddess

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 02:49:45 PM »

Just as an FYI, you can do a site specific search in the other search engines as well.  The search function works the same as on the forum, so you can search by subject, author, or specific words.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 03:30:55 PM »

Just as an FYI, you can do a site specific search in the other search engines as well.  The search function works the same as on the forum, so you can search by subject, author, or specific words.

I just realized that maybe you meant "any good search engine", not necessarily Google. Maybe I can do that as I bet I use use Yahoo! several times a day - mostly to find out what you all are talking about with some of your references.  :)

PastryGoddess

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 05:46:10 PM »

I just realized that maybe you meant "any good search engine", not necessarily Google. Maybe I can do that as I bet I use use Yahoo! several times a day - mostly to find out what you all are talking about with some of your references.  :)

Luci I tried it in Yahoo and it works just fine :)

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2013, 08:52:53 AM »
OK, here's the deal.  If the optimization we ran last weekend was effective in resolving the morning slowdowns, search capability will come back this Friday.   Monday morning when everything gets slammed will be a crucial benchmark.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2013, 01:27:54 PM »
OK, here's the deal.  If the optimization we ran last weekend was effective in resolving the morning slowdowns, search capability will come back this Friday.   Monday morning when everything gets slammed will be a crucial benchmark.

Yippee!

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2013, 02:05:36 PM »
I kind of cheated today. I was on one computer and had to go to my laptop and no one had posted on the thread I was so caught up in, but I had noticed one of the most frequent posters on that thread, looked on what was in the unread posts, found one she had started, clicked on her then clicked on her posts, found a post of hers on the thread I wanted to get back to, and Bingo!, got back to my thread and remembered where I had left off.

I am so glad for the way the forum works, but will be glad to see if the search is back next Friday. I am spoiled.

Thanks for the information, Ehelldame.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2013, 04:42:08 PM »
For those of you who want to search the forums, you can use a google search with the following format

search term(s) site:etiquettehell.com/smf

the search term can be a word, phrase, etc.  you can put it in quotation marks and use boolean search if you want.  Just make sure there is a space and then the site information.

Who is cooler than you right now? No one! I just used that and found exactly what i was looking for (gyoza/dumpling ideas, FWIW http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=98003.0 It's all I think about these days.  ;D)
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem