Author Topic: uninvited guests to birthday party  (Read 5377 times)

bopper

• Super Hero!
Re: uninvited guests to birthday party
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 09:58:45 AM »
Lots of the party places near me will actually check names at the door, or insist on your bringing the invitation (which is marked "admits 1"). And *they* will be the bad guy and tell the parent that he/she has to pay for the sibling themselves.

I was going to suggest this too. 

darkprincess

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2013, 10:04:08 PM »
Great news, my daughter did a great job a got phone numbers for almost all the kids that aren't family friends. I am going to call all of them on the RSVP date and have a conversation with each of them. We will also have a gate keeper and do require parents with siblings pay and the parents have to stay. The party is next week, so we were not able to do most of the invitation suggestions but I will use many of them for other child's birthday and parties to come.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 10:47:25 PM »
Back when I was wedding planning, I read somewhere that a couple had such a low percentage RSVP that they cancelled the reception hall and had the reception at a swanky restaurant.   Of course only those that RSVP'ed yes knew about the change.  I thought it was brilliant. 

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013, 10:56:18 PM »
Did you hear how many non-RSVPs showed at the reception hall?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

o_gal

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 08:20:27 AM »
Back when I was wedding planning, I read somewhere that a couple had such a low percentage RSVP that they cancelled the reception hall and had the reception at a swanky restaurant.   Of course only those that RSVP'ed yes knew about the change.  I thought it was brilliant.

My Aunt was awesome at my cousin's wedding. Cousin and her husband met while she was a hostess at one of his restaurants - at that time, I think he owned 2 of the, one being a fine dining restaurant. So when they got married, he picked a wonderful restaurant owned by friends of theirs (he had sold his own restaurants by that time.) RSVPs came in and the final number was given to the restaurant. If you didn't RSVP yes, you weren't in the count. Then at the wedding, other people who hadn't replied came. They said that either they forgot to reply or something else happened, but couldn't they still come to the reception? Aunt said that unfortunately, while it was wonderful to see them at the ceremony, they just couldn't be accomodated at the reception. My Aunt rocks!

peaches

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 09:08:52 AM »
Great news, my daughter did a great job a got phone numbers for almost all the kids that aren't family friends. I am going to call all of them on the RSVP date and have a conversation with each of them. We will also have a gate keeper and do require parents with siblings pay and the parents have to stay. The party is next week, so we were not able to do most of the invitation suggestions but I will use many of them for other child's birthday and parties to come.

Sounds great!

The part about parents staying to supervise their "extra kids" is important. I can't imagine them not wanting to stay, but you never know these days. And those kids could be a big and unwanted responsibility for the host.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 09:16:21 AM »
Did you hear how many non-RSVPs showed at the reception hall?

No, I never heard.  Although I just thought of a potential problem.  If the reception hall resold that time (likely).  The other wedding probably had complete strangers showing up at their reception.

Back when I was wedding planning and before we found a location, my mother saw some people decorating for a wedding at this club she just joined.  Being a future MOB who had eloped because of parental disapproval, she was probably MORE interested in the reception than I was.  So, she helped out.  That evening, she peered in to see how the wedding was going.  The MOB waved her in.  Turns out a lot of the Yes RSVP's didn't show, so they had lots of extra food.  It was either 1/3 or 1/4. 

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2013, 02:52:43 PM »
That is a HUGE number!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture