Author Topic: Sharing pics of customers' messy table  (Read 8026 times)

MyFamily

Re: Sharing pics of customers' messy table
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 01:12:11 PM »
I think the restaurant owner was wrong posting a picture.  People come, they eat, messes are made.  At home, I have easy access to a broom and/or vaccum, but not at a restaurant, which means the staff must clean up my mess.  I can do my best to not make a big mess; but crumbs happen.   And I would never eat in this restaurant because even the neatest of people can still drop a crumb or two on the floor and I'd be nervous about being yelled at because they'd just cleaned their carpets.

I'm not saying the mom was in the right - her kid was yelling; and outing herself to humiliate the restaurant owner is worse than the restaurant owner posting the pic because the restaurant owner kept it anonymous, the mom didn't.   

No one is right here, but the restaurant owner made a very poor business choice, and that could have longer ramifications than having a customer leave a mess that has to be cleaned up.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2013, 01:26:23 PM »
I think the restaurant owner was wrong posting a picture.  People come, they eat, messes are made.  At home, I have easy access to a broom and/or vaccum, but not at a restaurant, which means the staff must clean up my mess.  I can do my best to not make a big mess; but crumbs happen.   And I would never eat in this restaurant because even the neatest of people can still drop a crumb or two on the floor and I'd be nervous about being yelled at because they'd just cleaned their carpets.

I'm not saying the mom was in the right - her kid was yelling; and outing herself to humiliate the restaurant owner is worse than the restaurant owner posting the pic because the restaurant owner kept it anonymous, the mom didn't.   

No one is right here, but the restaurant owner made a very poor business choice, and that could have longer ramifications than having a customer leave a mess that has to be cleaned up.

Agreed. And scones are really hard to eat without creating crumbs!

The mess in that photo did not seem over the top to me.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 01:33:01 PM »
  I realized I only posted 1/2 my answer.

The mothers when wrong for staying with screaming children and I personally wouldn't order a scone for a young child I can't eat one without leaving crumbs.   

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013, 01:49:56 PM »
Customers can be jerks and leave a mess.  Staff should clean it up and not post about it on FB.  It's rude to the customers and may make those that weren't involved feel awkward about the situation. (as in a nice, polite mom won't take her child there in fear that her child make a mess)Manager is dumb.  Customer is a jerk.

Totally agree with this - particularly the bolded.  I know I wouldn't for exactly that reason.  Sometimes my boys make a mess. In a very short period of time.  I can try to clean it up but really it is A LOT easier for an employee with a broom and a dustpan to quickly sweep that up versus me crawling under the table try to somehow gather crumbs. Now I do ALWAYS leave a bigger tip if there is a mess, and I try to pick up larger pieces but there really is only so much that I can do. (And in my experience, almost everytime I have been trying to clean up I have had an employee tell me not to worry about it.)  I realize in this situation, there was a lot more problems with the mothers and kids than the mess.  But I still would avoid that place.

As someone who works in retail, not the food service business, believe me, we don't mind cleaning stuff up, and it is easier for us to do. But I will say its nice when a customer OFFERS to help, rather than say leaving a pile of clothes in the fitting room. I appreciate that a lot. I'd rather hang them etc. myself than have to find what a customer has put back themselves, and have to re-do it.

miranova

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 02:08:52 PM »
Add me to the list of those that were expecting a larger mess.  I really don't get the big deal, and I agree that customers aren't equipped with the tools to clean that kind of mess up.  I mean come on, how many of us get up and ask for a dishrag and a broom and dustpan after every restaurant meal?  We don't.  Which means we ALL expect at some level that the staff is going to clean up after us.  The only problem with that attitude would be if customers were intentionally leaving a larger mess than necessary or not being careful enough.  So where is the line between "acceptable mess" and "are you kidding me?" mess?  Because if that photo was supposed to show a unacceptable mess, I'm not seeing it.  I see crumbs.  At a place that sells scones.  I would NEVER patronize that restaurant if I wasn't allowed to drop a crumb because I can't do it.  I'm just not that coordinated. 

Erich L-ster

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2013, 02:33:35 PM »
I might be more inclined to patronize the place seeing that uncontrolled kids are not tolerated. Screaming kids really kill the enjoyment of a meal. I've seen people let their kids run around the dining area, stand and jump on the tops of tables, ask other diners for their food. In none of those cases did the staff tell or ask the parents to control their kids.

Goosey

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2013, 02:34:39 PM »
Not trying to be snarky or anything like that - honest question:

If you know scones are crumbly and you know your kid will make a mess with the scone because of this... why do you buy the kid a scone?

ETA: I do think the mess wasn't that bad. Business owner was probably upset and angry over having to ask them to leave. But getting crumbs out of carpet (looked like carpet? I could be wrong) is annoying on top of everything else. I do agree it would have been best not to post the picture on FB, but I don't think she's unreasonable to think the parents should not have let that mess happen.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 02:43:02 PM by Goosey »

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2013, 02:40:21 PM »
When I was a waitress, I saw much worse (pasta, sauce, & cheese in the carpet and the various sugar, salt, pepper, cheese, and red pepper shakers had someone drip tea or soda into the top with their straw - while bored & waiting for their food - the candles had been filled with straw wrappers, red pepper flakes, and other "gunk").  THAT was a mess.

Crumbs that can be dealt with using a vacuum cleaner or even a carpet sweeper.....what's the fuss?  Now, a screaming kid having a melt down?  That can start a bad effect of people hearing the screams at lunch and not wanting to come back for dinner - even weeks later.  But the "mess" just didn't register as all that bad. 
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

poundcake

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2013, 02:43:38 PM »
"Kids make messes" is not an excuse. If your kid makes a big mess, you offer to clean it up or leave a tip to compensate. They should have taken the scone away when the kid started crushing it into oblivion.

"It's your job" does not make it acceptable. We need to be polite to people in the serving business and not create more work for them.

I do think the whole thing got blown out of proportion but I hate the "Just be quiet and take it" mentality that is pushed on servers.

This is how I feel, too. While I think the owner was unwise to post, I completely understand why she would. I've worked in food service and retail for over a decade, and 10 out of 10 times, the problems are with the customers. The mother claims that her kids were well behaved, but I'd bet a silver dollar they weren't. I've corrected kids who had darted into the kitchens/ovens area, or pulled down entire shelves of merchandise, and when I attempted to curb their behavior (and danger), was berated by their parents because they were just "kids being kids!" I'm sure the customer thinks that her angels were just fine, but I'm guessing most of the other patrons in the cafe would say differently.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2013, 03:12:58 PM »
Maybe it is because I am looking at the pic on my phone but it doesn't look like that bad a mess. Since customers don't travel with a broom and dustpan I am not sure wjat the owner expected, especially after asking them to leave.

miranova

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2013, 03:22:02 PM »
Not trying to be snarky or anything like that - honest question:

If you know scones are crumbly and you know your kid will make a mess with the scone because of this... why do you buy the kid a scone?

My kids don't eat scones, but to address the hypothetical question.....  You could just as easily turn that around and ask why the owner offers scones if they are so messy or why does she have carpet under the tables.  All of those things would minimize the potential for mess but I don't think that means people aren't allowed to order messy things on the menu or that restaurant owners aren't allowed to have carpet.  Those are both acceptable choices.  That mess was not that bad and could have been left by anyone, should adults also not order scones?  Some things are hard to eat without dropping crumbs.  I deal with this at home not by refusing to eat certain things or refusing to allow my children to eat certain things but by being reasonably careful, cleaning up, and having children do what they can in their power to clean up after themselves as well.  At a restaurant, the customers are limited in how much they can clean up themselves since they don't have the tools.  I don't think that means that we should all limit our food choices but I do think we should do our best to still be careful and not create an excessive mess unnecessarily.  That photo does not show an excessive mess to me.

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2013, 03:24:08 PM »
This is what she posted on Facebook with the picture:

"Like to take a moment right now to thank our customers with small children whose kids don't make a mess.  A couple of ladies came in today and this is the mess their children made."

Dream

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2013, 03:49:18 PM »
All original reports, from both parties, mention nothing at all about one of the children throwing a tantrum. Just the owner taking exception to the mess and throwing the customers out.

It appears that the 'tantrum' has been thrown in later to muddy the waters, which puts a different slant on the entire situation.

That amount of mess from small children eating scones is not excessive and if the owner thinks it is, she is in the wrong trade. Especially when, picture and ensuing furore aside, she speaks to people in the manner she has admitted to.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2013, 04:25:20 PM »
All original reports, from both parties, mention nothing at all about one of the children throwing a tantrum. Just the owner taking exception to the mess and throwing the customers out.

It appears that the 'tantrum' has been thrown in later to muddy the waters, which puts a different slant on the entire situation.

That amount of mess from small children eating scones is not excessive and if the owner thinks it is, she is in the wrong trade. Especially when, picture and ensuing furore aside, she speaks to people in the manner she has admitted to.

I think you may have just missed it.................
 "MacDuff told Komo 4 News that she asked the messy party to leave after one child would not stop screaming and yelling,"

mich3554

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2013, 04:33:13 PM »
Clip from a radio show interviewing the cafe owner.

http://kiroradio.com/listen/9959851