Author Topic: Sharing pics of customers' messy table  (Read 8259 times)

sweetonsno

Re: Sharing pics of customers' messy table
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2013, 06:46:43 PM »
I agree with Dream and Toots. Yes, when you pay for a meal, you are paying someone else to prepare your food and do the dishes. However, I think that in an establishment that is not specifically marketed towards small children, it's not unreasonable for proprietors and other guests to expect that parents monitor their children's behavior. That means removing them if they become unruly and making sure that they aren't throwing their food on the floor. Of course accidents happen, but I do think that the mom in question probably could have prevented that many bits of scone from winding up down there. As Toots said, I'm not sure what stopped her from scooting his chair in closer to the table.

Finally, the customer definitely outed herself. Had she not admitted that she was the customer in question on Yelp, nobody would have known. The photograph didn't mention her by name, nor did it show her or her kids. This really isn't much different from someone posting a picture of a car double-parked (cutting out the license plate).

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2013, 06:57:51 PM »
It's pretty hard to post an audio of a kid throwing a tantrum on FB.  So the owner did the only thing she could, which was post a picture of the mess they left behind.  Just because that's what she chose to post on FB doesn't mean the child wasn't being disruptive (and this info added later to garner sympathy).  It just means that's all she chose to put on FB.  She's not the one who identified the woman.  It was the woman herself who did that.

I think I support the business owner in this one.  Lake Stevens is a small town, and businesses do need to be mindful of how they come across.  But in this case, I think the owner's stance is actually going to help her business.  I would have never considered going across the lake to visit this cafe before, but I think I might now!

Shoo she also didn't tell the mom 'hey they're being too loud" to the mom it was all about the mess ( from the radio interview) I do think the kids were loud and that was the majority of the reason they were asked to leave , I don't think the owner communicated that. I do think she was also pretty upset about the mess on freshly cleaned carpets.

I do think she's marketing too kids as well ice creams cones aren't really business meeting fair.  I'm only suggesting having business cards with a rainbow of icecream cones and heavily advertising your soft serve ice cream with sprinkles and wanting to be a cafe that caters to business people "doing business" seem to be incompatible business plans for a 8? table coffee shop. I'm not trying to imply that selling ice cream cones means kids get to throw tantrums in your business but it does send the clue you can be a bit louder then the coffee shop with fireplaces , all granite and chamber music playing.

The mom caused herself to be named but I agree you don't mock/snark at your customers from you business FB.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2013, 07:01:09 PM »
It's pretty hard to post an audio of a kid throwing a tantrum on FB.  So the owner did the only thing she could, which was post a picture of the mess they left behind.  Just because that's what she chose to post on FB doesn't mean the child wasn't being disruptive (and this info added later to garner sympathy).  It just means that's all she chose to put on FB.  She's not the one who identified the woman.  It was the woman herself who did that.

I don't know how this was "the only thing she could do."

I think her point was valid, but I don't think this qualifies as "the only thing she could do." There was absolutely no need whatsoever for her to post this on Facebook. It benefitted her in no possible way, even without the backlash.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2013, 07:03:12 PM »

I think I support the business owner in this one.  Lake Stevens is a small town, and businesses do need to be mindful of how they come across.  But in this case, I think the owner's stance is actually going to help her business.  I would have never considered going across the lake to visit this cafe before, but I think I might now!

Or she could have posted a status update "If your kids are being disruptive please take them outside"

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2013, 07:19:29 PM »

Or she could have posted a status update "If your kids are being disruptive please take them outside"

That would have been *much* more measured than what she did.

Her post was very unwise (much as I think she wasn't rude to that particular family). Proof that the speed and ease of social media really suckers people into doing the least-smart thing.

miranova

« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2013, 07:36:43 PM »

Yep, and even as a parent myself I would fully agree with her and understand that frustration.  Plus it's more generic without a photo.  I understand she didn't name anyone but posting that photo does allow the "guilty" party to figure out that she was talking specifically about them, which is really not a good idea, since as we can see that allows for people getting defensive and starting a firestorm.  We all want to vent about work occasionally, but if we must do that on facebook, being as generic as possible is wise.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2013, 08:12:23 PM »

Her post was very unwise (much as I think she wasn't rude to that particular family). Proof that the speed and ease of social media really suckers people into doing the least-smart thing.

It would be nice if more people would pause before hitting "Post" to think "How is this going to be received?" Or "How will this reflect on me?"
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2013, 08:16:27 PM »

It would be nice if more people would pause before hitting "Post" to think "How is this going to be received?" Or "How will this reflect on me?"

don't dial drunk and don't furious facebook :)

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2013, 09:14:13 PM »

Very wise words!  Reminds me of this, too:

I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2013, 09:46:00 PM »
I actually think the owner of the shop is going to receive more support in this little town than the mom.  Just from what I'm hearing/reading, that's what I think.  People are fed up with parents who let their kids disrupt other people, it seems.  Even though the shop owner really stepped in it with her FB post, I am not seeing as much sympathy for the mom.  May just be my circle, but I doubt it.

Rohanna

« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2013, 10:24:38 PM »
I think there's a word for judging someone simply based on the acts of others in their group and not as individuals,  but it's not a very nice one.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

snowdragon

« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2013, 10:37:54 PM »
I wonder how the mom who outed herself knew it was her family's mess. 

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2013, 03:41:40 AM »
I clicked the first link and thought, "That's a mess????" I'd expected something much worse.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Iris

« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2013, 06:45:47 AM »
All I keep thinking is "How could the mother have cleaned up the mess if she was asked to leave?" I think the owner can pick one thing - either they were thrown out because of a screaming child OR they should have picked up their mess before they left. Posting about the mess on fb after asking them to leave seems petty to me.

I would tend to avoid that cafe if I lived in that town because what if I spill my coffee ? Will I be on the receiving end of a passive aggressive vaguebook?
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Goosey

« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2013, 08:15:31 AM »
I would think that crumbs ground into the carpet by a tantruming child is a mess, yes.

Also, I don't think people are saying that the mom should have cleaned up the mess when asked to leave. I don't think the mess should have been allowed to happen at all. If your kid is going to explode crumbs, contain it! Or don't give them a scone. I don't think it's that difficult.

As I said, I don't think the woman should have posted the picture to FB, but I can definitely understand her frustration.