Author Topic: Sharing pics of customers' messy table  (Read 8236 times)

Eeep!

Re: Sharing pics of customers' messy table
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2013, 12:41:14 PM »
I thought of this thread just last night when I took my two kids out to Chinese food.  My 1 year old did a very very good job of eating his dinner (mostly fried rice) without getting hardly anything on the floor.  That was until he decided he was done and did an "all done" movement. Across the entire top of his high chair.  Resulting in a small rainstorm of friend rice onto the floor.  Gah!  Now I apologized to the waitress and she said "no biggie that's why we have broom and dustpans. Dont even worry about it".  So I ended up leaving a big mess.  All because of literally a couple seconds.  I'm not saying that is at all what happened in this situation - it sounds like the kids weren't well behaved.  But I just thought of this last night.  :P 
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

mich3554

« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2013, 12:42:43 PM »
I dont think people are asking kids to act like small adults. We're asking adults to act like parents.

Exactly. 

cocacola35

« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2013, 01:10:29 PM »
I guess I'm not getting what the cafe owner hoped to gain from this. The mess really wasn't that bad, and without the context of the screaming child, she comes off as being a bit OCD. I would probably not go to her store because I'd be afraid of making more of a mess than what's "acceptable" and end up being called out on FB (anonymously or not, it would still be embarrassing).

This is exactly why I think the owner/manager was an idiot to post it on FB.  I wouldn't go to the cafe. I might do something that gets me on FB!  What if I don't tip to her liking? What if I wear a funny outfit? What if I accidentally spill my soup?   Yeah, I'd steer clear of her cafe, for sure.

The whole time I was reading this thread, this is what I was thinking.  I think it is still unclear on why the customer was asked to leave, but the owner was within her rights to do so.  Afterwards the owner should have just let it go and maybe vent to friends about the incident on her own private time.

Posting the pic on facebook was over the top and in my opinion, a VERY dumb thing to do.  The owner escalated the incident and made the situation worse.  I would not be comfortable going to a restaurant where I may be judged or publicly shamed for doing something the owner may deem unfavorable.  She has effectively alienated other customers who probably wouldn't be rude or slobs.     

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2013, 01:20:43 PM »
I guess I'm not getting what the cafe owner hoped to gain from this. The mess really wasn't that bad, and without the context of the screaming child, she comes off as being a bit OCD. I would probably not go to her store because I'd be afraid of making more of a mess than what's "acceptable" and end up being called out on FB (anonymously or not, it would still be embarrassing).

This is exactly why I think the owner/manager was an idiot to post it on FB.  I wouldn't go to the cafe. I might do something that gets me on FB!  What if I don't tip to her liking? What if I wear a funny outfit? What if I accidentally spill my soup?   Yeah, I'd steer clear of her cafe, for sure.

The whole time I was reading this thread, this is what I was thinking.  I think it is still unclear on why the customer was asked to leave, but the owner was within her rights to do so.  Afterwards the owner should have just let it go and maybe vent to friends about the incident on her own private time.

Posting the pic on facebook was over the top and in my opinion, a VERY dumb thing to do.  The owner escalated the incident and made the situation worse.  I would not be comfortable going to a restaurant where I may be judged or publicly shamed for doing something the owner may deem unfavorable.  She has effectively alienated other customers who probably wouldn't be rude or slobs.     

The customer WASN'T publicly shamed.  It was a picture of the crumbs.  Nobody was named.  The woman outed herself!!  This notion that the shop owner somehow brought attention down on this poor woman and her children is kind of ridiculous.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2013, 01:36:01 PM »
  I don't except kids to throw tantrums or make incredible messes, I do expect that kids will be on average a little louder then adults and a little messier.  (I mean at coffee shop dinner type place. Adults at a sport bar during play off or kids the Chucky cheese will be messier and louder then the average ticker tape parade of machining bands  ;) )  This isn't a cocktail party or a 4 star restaurant.  This is a coffee shop that; Sells ice cream cones  with sprinkels 4 kids now I know because it was on the FB, where the owner dresses in costume for holidays , that decorates for holiday with more spinny,  shinny hearts/shamrocks then any Jr High dance I've ever seen, whose FB page shows "customers"*  that are teens (I'm pretty sure I saw a baby too and only one adult without children ) , Whose business cards is a rainbow color cartoon , in which nearly every FB pot starts with "Hey kids..... " ,   whose mascot? is a child.  Nothing about this shop says "adults doing business SHHHHH!"  Again I'm not trying to imply in any way shape or form that this means its ok for kids to have tantrums in there but I would expect it to be a bit louder and jovial then some of the museum like coffee shops Ive been too or even a Tim Hortons type place.   

I don't think she was rude to kick them out.  I think she was rude to be snarky  and funny toward a Customer as a business entity in public. 

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2013, 01:38:05 PM »

The customer WASN'T publicly shamed.  It was a picture of the crumbs.  Nobody was named.  The woman outed herself!!  This notion that the shop owner somehow brought attention down on this poor woman and her children is kind of ridiculous.

The owner didn't out this particular customer by name but the owner is shaming customers in general.  Like cocacola said, I'd fear doing something unfavorable and possibly having a pic of me end up on FB. 

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2013, 01:48:48 PM »
I think there's little chance of that happening, especially since the owner has apologized and admitted she was wrong to post the pic of the mess.  But to alter facts and state that the owner publicly shamed this particular customer is just plain wrong, and it has happened a few times in this thread!

Allyson

« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2013, 01:58:52 PM »
Nobody wins, but I am going to give the Most Rude prize to the mother, because she was the one who really escalated it to drama levels. It was silly and bad business sense to post on Facebook, but if the mother hadn't said anything, it would've stopped right then and nobody would've been any wiser. Extra negative points for using 'military wife' to try to gain sympathy.