General Etiquette > Techno-quette

Friend and out there FB posts

<< < (2/5) > >>

katycoo:
Not really.  There's a fine line between doing someone a good service and offending them.

I think the only context in which you could do this is if she approaches you about comments people ahve left on her posts, you could possibly then gently mention that you've seen those posts go up and been able to anticipate that she might get some negative comments and why.

CrazyDaffodilLady:
I can't remember the last time I offered unsolicited constructive criticism that was well received.  The people who most need some gentle guidance are often overly sensitive and defensive. 

She's getting negative feedback from others.  There's her clue.

If she does raise the matter, you could simply say that's not the kind of information you yourself would put on Facebook.

Hmmmmm:

--- Quote from: CrazyDaffodilLady on August 09, 2013, 10:02:49 AM ---I can't remember the last time I offered unsolicited constructive criticism that was well received.  The people who most need some gentle guidance are often overly sensitive and defensive. 

She's getting negative feedback from others.  There's her clue.

If she does raise the matter, you could simply say that's not the kind of information you yourself would put on Facebook.

--- End quote ---

This

Kiwichick:

--- Quote from: *inviteseller on August 07, 2013, 09:58:49 PM ---These aren't annoying or offensive..they are things that are going on in her life that are best not blabbed about because while she is looking for sympathy as to these things, they make her look bad.  Nothing illegal, just..things that are happening.  I have no problem with her telling me about these, I would gladly be a shoulder for her to cry on, but for her to post them are embarrassing for her and one could have blown up a job prospect when she complained about how bad an interview went.  I want to tell her that some things may not be right to post, but she is an adult and I am just not sure about crossing a line

--- End quote ---

Bolding mine - they are embarrassing for you to read maybe, but I doubt she's embarrassed by them.

If she asks your advice, give it, otherwise I'd just hide her posts and move on.

Vall:
I agree that she doesn't seem to be embarrassed by her posts.  I wouldn't say anything to her.  There are plenty of websites and news stories cautioning people about the content on their FB.  To me, it would be similar to warning an adult about the health effects of smoking, eating a lot of high-calorie, sugary foods, or consistently drinking alcohol to excess.  Few adults are unaware of the risks yet many people choose to take those risks.  She is probably aware of the warnings and chooses what she wants to post.  I am assuming this person is an adult.  If she is a minor, my views would be different.

If she asks you your opinion, then I think it would be perfectly fine to tell her how you feel.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version