News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• August 03, 2015, 06:31:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Babysitting the "Precious" child  (Read 16982 times)

Goosey

Re: Babysitting the "Precious" child
« Reply #150 on: August 09, 2013, 08:44:07 AM »
I was babysitting other people's infants when I was 12. Maybe it's time to talk to his mom about letting him stay home alone on a trial basis?

Every kid is different regarding maturity and I really don't think it's the OP's place to suggest such a thing to his mom. I'm sure the mom knows her son best.
I thought the OP and the mom were friends? There's nothing wrong with two friends talking about this. If they can talk about his crying at the park, the topic of him staying home shouldn't be forbidden.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #151 on: August 09, 2013, 09:12:49 AM »
A 12 year old girl and a 12 year old boy are two very different entities, maturity wise.  I understand the other Mom not wanting to leave the twins with Fred to babysit.  And with only 3 years between them, the twins might not listen to Fred.  If they were 5, it might work OK.  But at 12, I wonder if it is time to give Fred a trial run at staying home alone?  Send the twins to the OP's, and leave instructions with Fred that he is to go to the OP's if he needs anything; otherwise, he's on his own.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #152 on: August 09, 2013, 09:13:11 AM »
^^
Good for you. Letting him use manipulative behavior to get his way does a dis-service fir all.

As others have said, the going outside was a red herring in this discussion. It sounds like if you'd told all the kids to go downstairs and watch a movie that was appropriate for all their ages and he decided that's not what he wanted to do, he would have been upstairs complaining too.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #153 on: August 09, 2013, 09:46:16 AM »
Personally, I'm still kinda wondering why he's being babysat to begin with. OP, did you ever clarify that for us? At 12, I was babysitting other kids for real.

I also wonder about that. At age 12 I babysat, and definitely was capable of spending time alone.

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #154 on: August 09, 2013, 10:47:18 AM »
I'm not seeing much useful discussion here.  There's a lot of nitpicking.  Ergo, thread closed.

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.