Author Topic: School snack ideas?  (Read 2171 times)

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
School snack ideas?
« on: August 08, 2013, 06:12:32 PM »
At my daughter's kindergarten orientation the principal mentioned that parents are encouraged to pack a healthy snack for their kids for morning recess.

I've been spoiled by the preschool, which has been providing healthy morning and afternoon snacks for the kids, and I haven't had to think about such things.

So, what can I send?  I want it to be healthy, fun, interesting, and easy to pack.  And it has to tide her over between breakfast and lunch.  So far I've thought of:

- grapes and cheese cubes
- yogurt and fruit
- wheat thins with cheese slices

But I want to do different snacks every day, so she doesn't get bored of just one thing.  And I think the 3-snack rotation would bore her pretty quickly.

Any ideas?

SlitherHiss

Re: School snack ideas?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 06:22:04 PM »
Cherry tomatoes, bell peppers (either strips or those tiny ones), and carrot sticks go well on their own, or with hummus.

If there aren't nut allergies, I'd recommend apple slices with either peanut or almond butter.

I'm looking forward to seeing the responses!

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 06:32:22 PM »
I honestly wouldn't worry about repitition. When my DD was in grade school, parents would get a week assigned to send in snacks for the class. But they always had a huge box of goldfish on hand because many of the kids just wanted crackers every day.

But here's some ideas that is easy for the kid's to grab and eat with minimal mess

Mini box of raisins
Pre-packed apple slices
Grapes
Cheese and crackers
Orange segments in a baggie
Trailmix
Granola bars
Kashi cereal bars
A half cheese sandwich
Celery stuffed with pimento and cheese (wrap each separely in Saran wrap and then put in baggie to make them less messy when pulled out)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 06:33:23 PM »
If nuts aren't a problem, maybe even some mixed nuts?

If you dip apple slices in Sprite, they don't go brown.

Whole wheat bread with some sort of protein spread, cut with a cookie cutter for fun shapes (and no crusts).

Turkey pepperoni sticks, maybe with a little tomato sauce for dipping.

Dry cereal, like Cheerios.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 07:36:59 PM »
any fruit or vegetable she'll eat raw cut into manageable pieces. *thats not super messy*  apple slices , grapes , cucumber slices, carrot , celery sticks,broccoli, cauliflower, dried fruits
I did gogurts for a sack a lot because they could be frozen and be thawed by snack time.  the snacks didn't go into a fridge and that way he didn't need to take a thermal lunch bag.

nuts and sunflower seeds ,yogurt covered raisins * if they are allowed*
popcorn , cereal bar , crackers cheese peanut butter if allowed.

Jones

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 08:17:35 PM »
I've done a half sandwich before, and will repeat what others said about cherry tomatoes. How about a string cheese?

Nikko-chan

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 09:05:49 PM »
what about a few pieces of a tortilla rollup?

bonyk

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 09:23:32 PM »
Yogurt is kid of a pain, unless you get those Go-gurt things that you suck out of a tube.  Kids always drop/lose spoons and spill the cups.

sweetonsno

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 01:15:41 AM »
The raw veggies, with or without some type of dip, would probably be a hit. So would apple slices or some other kind of fruit.

Bumps on a log (celery ribs filled with peanut butter and topped with raisins) were also a favorite of mine.
I've always liked pickles. A lot.
Pretzel rods (again, include something dippish if you'd like)
Hard-boiled egg?
Love the idea of trail mix and/or granola
String cheese
A few slices of deli meat with some sort of veggie or fruit

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 09:38:57 AM »
Bumps on a log (celery ribs filled with peanut butter and topped with raisins) were also a favorite of mine.

OP should probably check on the school's peanut policy before sending this.  Some schools are peanut-free.

Specky

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 02:20:32 PM »
My kids' favorites included string cheese and fruit, and half an almond butter and blueberry spread sandwich on whole grain bread.

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 02:36:52 PM »
Lots of good suggestions from others already. Just make sure it has protein and fiber a teensy bit of (preferably healthy) fat  and not too much sugar. That way it will make the kid feel satiated the longest (goes for any meal BTW).

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 02:57:42 PM »
OP here.

School started this week and it turns out there are some restrictions on what we can send as a snack.  Basically, it should all be low fat (no trans fat), low sodium, and whole grain.  Nuts and nut butters are not restricted.  Pretzels, chips, and non-whole grain crackers are not allowed.

Yesterday I gave my daughter grapes and a cut-up piece of string cheese, which she thought was the best snack ever.  Today I gave her half a stick of string cheese, a handful of low-salt wheat thins, and some pitted cherries.  We'll see how she likes that.

Some of the suggestions from the school include cheese, low-fat low-sugar yogurt (no go-gurt, too much sugar), fruit, and cottage cheese.  I'm thinking apple slices and peanut butter will be the next experiment, or cherry tomatoes and cottage cheese.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!  I had forgotten about bumps on a log, which was one of my favorites as a kid (though my daughter hates celery and raisins, so that one won't work for her).  I also think I could make her some oatmeal and put it in a thermos -- it should still be warm at snacktime.  Cheerios may also be a nice treat.

Betelnut

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013, 03:18:18 PM »
I think it is terrible that the school can tell you what to feed your kid. Gee, intrusive much?
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

bonyk

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 03:29:10 PM »
I think it is terrible that the school can tell you what to feed your kid. Gee, intrusive much?

I'm a teacher, and I agree with this.  I understand discouraging sugar, because a room full of hyperactive kids (or even 1 hyperactive kid) is no fun, but that list seems a bit much.  What you feed your kid is really not my business unless (s)he's bouncing off the walls.