Author Topic: School snack ideas?  (Read 2166 times)

Jones

Re: School snack ideas?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 04:14:11 PM »
I think it is terrible that the school can tell you what to feed your kid. Gee, intrusive much?

I'm a teacher, and I agree with this.  I understand discouraging sugar, because a room full of hyperactive kids (or even 1 hyperactive kid) is no fun, but that list seems a bit much.  What you feed your kid is really not my business unless (s)he's bouncing off the walls.
I'm glad I'm not the only one to have that reaction to the restrictions. It's a single snack in a day, and growing kids...if it fits into their overall daily plan, well that's the parents' responsibility.

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 04:35:40 PM »
I think it is terrible that the school can tell you what to feed your kid. Gee, intrusive much?

My son's school is similar although slightly less restrictive (but does not allow peanuts because they actually have kids with an allergy to them). And I actually like it. That way all kids have healthy snacks. It's really hard to convince your kid to eat their apple/string cheese/healthy snack when everyone else has poptarts or other sugary stuff.

Idlewildstudios

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2013, 11:24:56 AM »
I used to mix equal parts of unsweetened applesauce with any type of nut butter and used it as a sandwich filling or a dip for fruit or graham crackers.  It lightens the nut butter and adds a fruit element.

You can also use a rolling pin to flatten out a piece of whole grain bread, spread it some cream cheese and roll a bit of deli meat and raw spinach/pepper strips/ carrot strips up inside for a fun roll up.  My kid will eat anything in a roll up. :)

whatsanenigma

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2013, 12:26:56 PM »
I wonder if you could get away with Nutella on something.  It is very similar to peanut butter in texture but is actually made from another type of nut, I forget what, and has a bit of chocolate added to it.  Personally I find it really really good! But it might be a bit too "dark chocolaty" for a small child.  But you could try.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2013, 01:59:21 PM »
School started this week and it turns out there are some restrictions on what we can send as a snack.  Basically, it should all be low fat (no trans fat),

*Snarl* I really hope they have a qualified dietician make this rule and be prepared to stand by it.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2013, 07:41:05 PM »
I am glad I am not the only one thinking they are being too intrusive! I can understand no peanuts and what not, but seriously? "It has to be healthy and low fat" And if you can't afford that? (Some people really can't).

Betelnut

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2013, 11:46:11 AM »
I am glad I am not the only one thinking they are being too intrusive! I can understand no peanuts and what not, but seriously? "It has to be healthy and low fat" And if you can't afford that? (Some people really can't).

Would they confiscate the snack if it isn't healthy enough?

"Sorry kid, Cheezits aren't allowed.  Hand them over."
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 01:12:18 PM by Betelnut »
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

whatsanenigma

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2013, 12:56:59 PM »

Would they confiscate the snack if it isn't healthy enough?

"Sorry kid, Cheezits aren't allowed.  Hold them over."

And then, would they give a replacement snack? Probably not!

I agree that these rules are ridiculous.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2013, 02:38:47 PM »
Roll ups of a whole grain tortilla with cheese and hummus or something else she likes, you can add finely sliced bell pepper too.
Sandwich fingers (a regular sandwich cut into strips) and a few grapes.
Cut up turkey or chicken with a few wheat crackers and cheese cubes.
Cream cheese spread on a tortilla with a smear of jam and rolled up.

amylouky

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2013, 02:52:06 PM »
Are the restrictions actual prohibitions, or are they just suggestions of healthy snacks?

Because if they really won't allow you to send certain foods (barring food allergy concerns), that's ridiculous. I can understand giving a "suggested foods" list, but I'd draw the line at them telling me what I can and can't feed my own child.

My DSs played sports through the Y and they had a signup sheet to bring snacks for the team. They did have a suggested healthy snacks list, but some of the parents just ignored it and brought in cheetos and chocolate mini-donuts when their turn came around. I saw that as a little rude, since you're providing snacks for the entire team and not just your child.

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2013, 03:39:17 PM »
OP here.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!  There are some really good ones.

Please don't get sidetracked by the school's food rules.  They are what they are, and they're actually a pretty good guideline for how I want to feed my daughter, anyway.  Plus I agree with this:

My son's school is similar although slightly less restrictive (but does not allow peanuts because they actually have kids with an allergy to them). And I actually like it. That way all kids have healthy snacks. It's really hard to convince your kid to eat their apple/string cheese/healthy snack when everyone else has poptarts or other sugary stuff.

I love the idea of roll-ups!  I don't have any tortillas at home right now but I can easily flatten a piece of whole-grain bread.

We have a wide variety of fruit at home, so I'm thinking a mini fruit kebab with greek yogurt might be good.

Keep the ideas coming!

amylouky

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2013, 03:48:08 PM »
Whatever you do, don't look for lunchbox/snack ideas on Pinterest. I'm convinced that site exists solely for the purpose of making normal people feel inadequate.  ;)

ITSJUSTME

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2013, 04:33:19 PM »
Girl Scouts spread peanut butter on short celery sticks (down in the groove) and stick a few raisins it the PB.  They call it bugs on a log.

snowdragon

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2013, 10:57:54 PM »
This thread is great, I am taking some courses that go over meal time - and I can use many of these as meal replacements.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2013, 05:48:36 AM »

But I want to do different snacks every day, so she doesn't get bored of just one thing.  And I think the 3-snack rotation would bore her pretty quickly.

Any ideas?
just wanted to remark on this - many many many kids love the same thing every day. it's comforting for them. My DS who is now 27 ate the same exact sandwich filling for his entire school career. 90% of the time it was seedless rye bread with tuna salad (tuna, mixed with teeny cubes of tomato, cucumber and pickles), the other times it was either cottage cheese, turkey cold cuts, or omelette. snack was usually a little baggie with a cored and sliced apple or a peeled and segmented orange or tangerine.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools