Author Topic: Children's Menus  (Read 3728 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: Children's Menus
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 05:29:11 PM »
I can't find t now, but I saw a saw a photo pop up in my twitter feed recently, of a children's menu where one option was "the bandit option - we provide plate and cutlery and you steal food from your parents plates"

(menu was in English with prices in euros so I'm guessing it was maybe from Ireland)

It seemed like a nice idea!

I guess so... if you want to undo all your previous etiquette lessons.   :-\

How? I'm pretty sure the "bandit" wording was just funny copy for the menu, and that nobody'd actually order that unless they were actually OK with sharing their food with their kid...ergo the kid's not really "stealing," just sharing.

I saw that photo, too, and giggled at it. I thought it was a great idea . . . several posters mentioned asking for an extra plate so the child can share off of your entree.

edited: If I recall, the menu was somewhat pirate-themed and the other dishes on the children's menu also had fun-themed names to them.I was wrong about the theme. Here's a link to the photo I saw, although when I saw the photo it didn't have the text attached. I'm curious about the last line of the text "Unfortunately, with the exchange rate, 0 Euros is still $15.99."

http://www.happyplace.com/25554/kids-menu-offers-bandit-plate-for-kids-to-steal-parents-food-onto

So, I do see Venus193's point about the wording. Not quite etiquette-correct, but still cute, in my book.
/end edit.

Oh, and the price for ordering this "dish" was 0 euros.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 05:44:12 PM by jpcher »

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 05:41:56 PM »
Probably also a tongue-in-cheek way of saying they know some people are already doing this, and they don't need to lie about it or anything; the restaurant is ok with it.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 05:50:24 PM »
I can't find t now, but I saw a saw a photo pop up in my twitter feed recently, of a children's menu where one option was "the bandit option - we provide plate and cutlery and you steal food from your parents plates"

(menu was in English with prices in euros so I'm guessing it was maybe from Ireland)

It seemed like a nice idea!

I guess so... if you want to undo all your previous etiquette lessons.   :-\

How? I'm pretty sure the "bandit" wording was just funny copy for the menu, and that nobody'd actually order that unless they were actually OK with sharing their food with their kid...ergo the kid's not really "stealing," just sharing.

I agree. It's just a neat way of saying they'll provide cutlery and plate for the kid and are happy to do so. I think it's great. I feel a bit odd asking for extra and often end up serving my kid off a saucer with a coffee spoon or some such.

Despite that, am I the only one who like kids menus? As far as I'm concerned my kid has to eat what's in front of her at home (or at friends) but at a restaurant she can pick, like I pick. As she always chooses mac and cheese I'm happy it's a cheap option so many places. She's happy and I'm happy.

MOM21SON

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 06:17:55 PM »
I have a friend who makes all of her kids order off the kids menu for cost reasons.  The youngest is 15! :o

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 06:20:05 PM »
I have a friend who makes all of her kids order off the kids menu for cost reasons.  The youngest is 15! :o
[/quote

Ah yes, this is familiar from my childhood. Right down to "Slouch in your seat so you look shorter."

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2013, 09:08:11 PM »

Despite that, am I the only one who like kids menus? As far as I'm concerned my kid has to eat what's in front of her at home (or at friends) but at a restaurant she can pick, like I pick. As she always chooses mac and cheese I'm happy it's a cheap option so many places. She's happy and I'm happy.

My problem as a child was that I didn't want the food that was on the kids' menu. I wanted the same sort of food the adults were eating, but I couldn't eat an entire main course. I usually ordered appetizers, but that is usually a very limited selection of what the restaurant offered.

Sharing from the parents' plate works with very young children. By the time a kid is eight or so, they're probably eating enough that scraps of what other people are eating isn't enough, and, if they like food, probaebly want to have some say in what they eat, rather than a random assortment of what other people chose.

I *still* have problems eating a full main course at many American restaurants.  The concept of a multi-course restaurant meal (appetizer, main course, dessert) is an abstract one to me, because I can't eat that much at one sitting.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2013, 09:53:17 PM »
My oldest is 12 so he's right at that cutoff age where he could order from the kid's menu but he doesn't really like the options and it's definitely not enough food for him.  So we give him the choice of whether or not he wants to, depending on his appetite at the moment. 

Heck, the child is a bottomless pit at the moment, so he probably could finish off an entree at your typical American restaurant and still want dessert.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2013, 01:12:53 AM »
There is a local restaurant chain here..nice family dining, that has revamped the kids menu from the boring old chicken fingers/mac & cheese to an ala cart of small entrees with pick your own sides.  They have from pancakes, to fish, slider burgers, pork cutlets, and the sides are great too.  You can get fries, but also offer salads, jello, veggies, fruit.  It is nice because my 7 yr old is unbelievably picky and in most places, she may like one thing on the plate but not the other 2 options and they act like substituting is going to be the hardest thing ever, so for her to be able to pick 3 different things I know she will eat is a godsend!  My older DD never went with the kids menu because she has always had a great appetite and is an adventurous eater.

nayberry

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2013, 06:41:27 AM »
a friend of mine has two children, one who is very picky and the younger who eats anything,  for example when they were 11 months they were trying to steal our shellfish and were quite happy with eating curry.

the older child does now eat a lot more as they know their sibling will nab it if they dont!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2013, 07:55:49 AM »
I know when I was a kid I was freely given whatever my parents were eating.  I wasn't a picky eater, either.  Though at restaurants I did like ordering from the kid's menu.  I remember going to Disney World when I was 13 and when the waittress in the hotel's restaurant asked me my age, I did tell her and my dad laughed and commended me for being so honest and admitted he'd hoped to pass me off for 12.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2013, 06:32:01 PM »

My problem as a child was that I didn't want the food that was on the kids' menu. I wanted the same sort of food the adults were eating, but I couldn't eat an entire main course. I usually ordered appetizers, but that is usually a very limited selection of what the restaurant offered.

Sharing from the parents' plate works with very young children. By the time a kid is eight or so, they're probably eating enough that scraps of what other people are eating isn't enough, and, if they like food, probaebly want to have some say in what they eat, rather than a random assortment of what other people chose.

I *still* have problems eating a full main course at many American restaurants.  The concept of a multi-course restaurant meal (appetizer, main course, dessert) is an abstract one to me, because I can't eat that much at one sitting.

While I know most kids menus say for under 12, I've know very few 9 and up still ordering a kids menu entree or eating from their parents plates. And when my kids and I split an entree when they were little, they probably more often chose the entree than I did. Honestly, I was perfectly happy with the 2 of them and their dad ordering entree and I shared some of theirs as that way I got more variety.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2013, 06:41:33 PM »
Some restaurants I've seen have age limits on the kids menu...presumably because adults are ordering off them.

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2013, 07:35:09 PM »
My problem is that my kids prefer plain food. Until they were about 10 the kid's menu was the only way we could really find anything for them to eat, unless we asked for a meal to be served without any sauce, sides, or toppings. And if we did that my FIL was paying too much for a very plain meal.

(We didn't tend to take the kids to eat because they didn't enjoy sitting that long, and because we didn't see the point in taking them out to eat what I could make at home.)

But I think it's a silly to gripe about kid's menus these days. Order from the adult menu if you want to, no one's gonna come by and wave a child rearing handbook at you.

thunderroad

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2013, 09:05:51 PM »
My problem is that my kids prefer plain food. Until they were about 10 the kid's menu was the only way we could really find anything for them to eat, unless we asked for a meal to be served without any sauce, sides, or toppings. And if we did that my FIL was paying too much for a very plain meal.

(We didn't tend to take the kids to eat because they didn't enjoy sitting that long, and because we didn't see the point in taking them out to eat what I could make at home.)

But I think it's a silly to gripe about kid's menus these days. Order from the adult menu if you want to, no one's gonna come by and wave a child rearing handbook at you.

I agree with this.  When my son was young, it wasn't so much that he was a picky eater that he liked plain food, so we often relied on children's menus.  Those who find the child menu confining have the rest of the menu to choose from. 

As for the child who liked plain food, he grew up to be a chef with an adventurous palate, so it all worked out well in the end!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2013, 10:13:10 PM »
I honestly don't recall ever ordering off a kid's menu when I was a child...except for the one place that had those giant roasted turkey legs, but I got strange looks when I requested a salad or vegetable instead of french fries that went with it. I was a strange child in that I did notcare for typical kid's menu fare and had a special dislike of McD's.  I most often ordered of the app or adult menu and had leftovers.  Sometimes, I would split a meal and dessert with a relative, usually GM or my mother...my brother was our own personal hoover and would eat every last morsel of even adult meals by the time he was 8 or so.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah