Author Topic: Drinks before a school meeting?  (Read 10277 times)

Margo

Re: Drinks before a school meeting?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 11:20:43 AM »
I don't see anything wrong with it at all.

Obviously if anyone was drinking enough that they were not fit to drive, or were under the influence while at the meeting, that would be inappropriate, but otherwise .... pfft.

fountainof

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 11:26:14 AM »
At first I figured the article would be about an am meeting.  I would think it odd to have a drink at 7am and it would colour my opinion of someone if they needed to drink that early.  I don't drink much but if no one got drunk and they wouldn't be driving for a while or they had a ride it wouldn't bug me.  If they drank more than one/two and planned to drive right away that would worry me as they would probably be over the limit here.  I wouldn't have planned to go to a parents meeting and end up the designated driver so if that happened it would bother me a lot as I wouldn't want to be forced to drive people home, arrange cabs, etc.  But it doesn't seem the case in this instance.

bonyk

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 11:26:58 AM »
Just wondering, how would people feel if the teacher had had a drink with dinner?

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 11:27:39 AM »
Just wondering, how would people feel if the teacher had had a drink with dinner?

I would feel exactly the same. 

lowspark

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 11:28:25 AM »

Me too.

fountainof

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2013, 11:30:24 AM »
I think I would want to treat the teacher for dealing with my kid  :D .

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2013, 11:35:19 AM »

Me too.

Me three. I might have been shocked when I was a little kid, for the same reason I was always shocked when I saw my teachers at the grocery store--I think I thought they lived in the classroom and never left.  ;D But the teacher is also a legal adult who is allowed to have a drink before a meeting. As long as everyone stays at a level where they can still conduct the meeting normally, it doesn't matter at all to me.

MrTango

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2013, 11:47:03 AM »
A drink or two with dinner?  I see absolutely nothing* wrong with that.

*Unless, of course, they're in a profession in which it is illegal or improper to consume alcohol before work (i.e. pilot, doctor, police officer, etc).

I would think it odd to have a drink at 7am and it would colour my opinion of someone if they needed to drink that early.

Unless they work 3rd shift...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 11:49:21 AM by MrTango »

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2013, 11:58:49 AM »
 A drink or 2 with dinner fine.  If it was the teacher I may raise an eyebrow just because that would be having a drink before Work. 

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2013, 12:01:29 PM »
As a lawyer, it is not at all odd to mix alcohol with business - in fact, it's common.  I get that teachers are "different" and I would not advocate a teacher getting bombed before a conference (and wouldn't personally drink if I were the teacher) but responsible use of alcohol is not morally wrong and does not automatically mean people are unprofessional and incapable of doing their jobs.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2013, 12:02:02 PM »
If it was a mid week meeting, the poor teacher just spent the day with the kids and then had to spend the evening with their parents.

If I was that teacher, I'd be drinking, too.   ;D

If the evening meeting involved kids, the teacher shouldn't have a drink.  But all adults?  A dinner drink wouldn't even raise an eyebrow for me.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2013, 12:16:10 PM »
Oh puh-leaz, it's after 5, it was just one drink with dinner, I don't see what the big deal is!  I'm not a big drinker myself, in that I usually will just have one glass of wine (sometimes two, if I'm drinking with a friend, which is rare, unfortunately) or one bottle of beer or Magner's (Irish cider) a night. 

I do think it would be one thing if a parent was getting sauced, and I might wonder if they expected really bad news. *joke*
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Amara

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2013, 12:16:52 PM »
The letter writer has way too much time on her hands and too much judgment on her tongue.

Goosey

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2013, 12:20:06 PM »
They're all horrible human beings and someone should call CPS!

Of course I'm joking.

A drink before hand probably would make those PTA meetings more bearable for everyone :)

As for a teacher drinking before hand - who does it hurt, really?

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2013, 12:22:18 PM »
I think it's good that she found this out about them.

Now she can avoid them, and everyone will be happier.

Personally, a drink with a meal before *ANY* sort of event is not something I would *at all* consider to be universally inappropriate per Etiquette.