Author Topic: Drinks before a school meeting?  (Read 10675 times)

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
Re: Drinks before a school meeting?
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2013, 12:29:17 PM »
As a lawyer, it is not at all odd to mix alcohol with business - in fact, it's common.  I get that teachers are "different" and I would not advocate a teacher getting bombed before a conference (and wouldn't personally drink if I were the teacher) but responsible use of alcohol is not morally wrong and does not automatically mean people are unprofessional and incapable of doing their jobs.

This. Many adults-only work activities can involve moderate alcohol consumption.

bonyk

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2013, 01:33:32 PM »
Huh, I guess I'm the odd man out.  I had asked how people felt about teachers drinking, because a few years ago some colleagues had a glass a wine with dinner the night of Parent/Teacher conferences.  A few of us (fellow teachers) thought they were being unprofessional.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2013, 01:36:27 PM »
Huh, I guess I'm the odd man out.  I had asked how people felt about teachers drinking, because a few years ago some colleagues had a glass a wine with dinner the night of Parent/Teacher conferences.  A few of us (fellow teachers) thought they were being unprofessional.

And I would have no issue with that at all.

The reason we don't want teachers drinking before class isn't because they're going to work in a general sense, but because they're responsible for the kids when they get there. IMO there's nothing unprofessional about an adult drinking in moderation before or during a meeting with another adult.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2013, 01:38:06 PM »
Judging them for a drink or two with dinner is ridiculous. Judging them for eating at Applebee's would be fine.

(I kid, I kid! Our Applebee's is terrible but I know other locations are fine.)

I normally don't care for them, but they have a really good salad with shrimp and green goddess dressing now, so I go there once in a while for that....yummy!!!!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2013, 01:39:10 PM »
I know some people are very anti-alcohol, but this is such a non-issue to me that I wouldn't give it a second thought.  I do think it's good that the letter writer knows this about her new acquaintances, though. Now she knows they aren't the kind of people she would want to hang out with, and that's good for all of them.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2013, 01:49:54 PM »
I take a pretty dim view of booze in general, but the situation described by the letter writer doesn't bother me a bit. Most people can handle having one drink with dinner and I can't see that it matters that they were attending a school event afterward.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Perfect Circle

• Birdie in the hand for life's rich demand
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2013, 01:51:38 PM »
Would not bother me in the slightest.

My daughter's school fete had a bar. All parent meetings tend to be in a pub and the majority of people have a drink. It's not a problem.
There's a secret stigma, reaping wheel.
Diminish, a carnival of sorts.
Chronic town, poster torn, reaping wheel.
Stranger, stranger to these parts.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2013, 01:53:38 PM »
I can't find it now, but I think this one has been discussed here before; the scenario is awfully familiar.

My opinion: It's not an official school event, so there's absolutely no reason for people to not drink. I would look askance at someone objecting; I'd probably expect them to use a lot of 'thees' and 'thous' and express admiration for Cotton Mather.

I do lots of stuff for youth: I'm a youth soccer referee and I sail as a volunteer with a youth outreach program. Both of those activities are completely dry, which is the right thing. I can guarantee, though, that everyone of legal age there partakes of an 'adult beverage' off hours. (Think about it -- sailors!)

I know quite a few teachers and more than a handful have "fortified" themselves before PT conferences. As long as they aren't smelling of alcohol and are behaving soberly, what they do off the clock isn't relevant.

As a final note, the boys' school has grade-level parent potlucks and other events (without kids) where alcohol is served.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

DavidH

« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2013, 01:56:18 PM »
The parents having a drink before the PTA meeting seems a non-issue to me.  Besides, if I had to endure a dinner with the letter writer, I might need one too. 

For a teacher, I don't think it's a big issue, but if I were them I'd err on the side of caution and go for drinks afterwards.  It just seems like if there is any chance of having to tell a parent that their child is not performing well it would be better not to have had a drink before since that could be used to say the teacher's judgment was impaired (whether or not it was). 

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2013, 01:59:55 PM »
I went back and read the column and response and the columnist was spot-on in their reply.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

KarenK

« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2013, 02:10:23 PM »
I went back and read the column and response and the columnist was spot-on in their reply.

I read a few of her answers, and I was impressed with her other advice, too.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2013, 02:11:18 PM »
The parents having a drink before the PTA meeting seems a non-issue to me.  Besides, if I had to endure a dinner with the letter writer, I might need one too. 

For a teacher, I don't think it's a big issue, but if I were them I'd err on the side of caution and go for drinks afterwards.  It just seems like if there is any chance of having to tell a parent that their child is not performing well it would be better not to have had a drink before since that could be used to say the teacher's judgment was impaired (whether or not it was).

Yeah I'm picturing the Church Lady from SNL, here.   

My MIL isn't much of a drinker herself but now and then she will have a beer, as will FIL.  MIL's mother, GMIL, is a teetotaler.  I've noticed people rarely drink around her because of it.  MIL told me once that her mother's first husband was an alcoholic so GMIL assumes that anyone who drinks even one glass/can/bottle of something alcoholic is going to drink to excess.   So she doesn't really like having her mother over because FIL likes to have his one can of beer when he gets home in the evenings after work and when GMIL is around, she acts scandalized when he gets the beer out of the fridge.

I can't help but think that probably makes him want to drink it even more...
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2013, 02:12:13 PM »
I'd have no problem with someone having a drink before a school meeting. Being under the influence, of course, is an entirely different matter.

Actually, younger DS had a principal who routinely came to campus while tipsy. Fun times.  :P

suekel

« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2013, 02:19:55 PM »
I agree that a drink, or even two, with dinner in this scenario is no big deal at all.   Depending on what sort of food I am eating, a glass of wine can really enhance my enjoyment of it.

Slightly off topic:  OP, I was so delighted when I clicked on your link and it took me to CultureMap.  I love that site and am friends with the Editor-In-Chief.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2013, 02:22:13 PM »
The LW even says that no one got tipsy, so I really having a hard time seeing what was the problem.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy