Author Topic: Drinks before a school meeting?  (Read 10367 times)

bonyk

Re: Drinks before a school meeting?
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2013, 01:06:27 PM »
Since everybody's in agreement, I have another scenario:  Last day of school, at dismissal, (half day for students), a mother says to a teacher, "You put up with my kid all year, and you definitely deserve this," and hands her a one of those reusable plastic cups with a straw in it.  Teacher takes a sip, and it's vodka.

Okay to drink?  Students are gone, our rooms are packed, but we are not allowed to leave the building for another 2.5 hours.

I personally feel that anytime one needs to conceal alcohol in an "innocent" looking cup is an inappropriate time to drink.

You know, that does make it pretty cut and dry, lol.

Also, someone pointed out that this is not really an etiquette issue, and they are correct.  I apologize for bringing it up.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2013, 01:38:40 PM »
Since everybody's in agreement, I have another scenario:  Last day of school, at dismissal, (half day for students), a mother says to a teacher, "You put up with my kid all year, and you definitely deserve this," and hands her a one of those reusable plastic cups with a straw in it.  Teacher takes a sip, and it's vodka.

Okay to drink?  Students are gone, our rooms are packed, but we are not allowed to leave the building for another 2.5 hours.
No you are on the job even with  kids gone you are on the clock. Also it is illegal to have alcohol school grounds here.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 01:41:24 PM by kherbert05 »
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2013, 01:47:18 PM »

Unless the teacher is allowed alcohol on school property when kids aren't there (very unlikely), it's almost certainly wrong.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2013, 02:03:51 PM »

Unless the teacher is allowed alcohol on school property when kids aren't there (very unlikely), it's almost certainly wrong.

Etiquette issue , how do you turn it down?  I don't think teacher should look shocked and since its "hidden" and maybe "oh thank you but I can't have this one school grounds " may just get "but no one will know" debate.  I think anything besides "thank you . no" could be perceived as judgmental?

Curious Cat

« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2013, 02:04:54 PM »
Beyond all of that, I'd be very wary of drinking any open container that someone gave me.  You have no way of knowing what is actually in it.

miranova

« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2013, 02:07:46 PM »

Etiquette issue , how do you turn it down?

You laugh it off.  Say "Oh I wish I could, you have no idea!  But it's against policy and I wouldn't want to get either of us in trouble. Thanks anyway!"

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2013, 02:27:58 PM »
In a public school it could very well be illegal. The mom could be in trouble for.having an open container on school grounds, regardless of any teacher involvement.

magician5

« Reply #82 on: August 10, 2013, 02:58:50 PM »
I read the column referred to. Can't say much for it ... was it written over the kitchen table by a local?

Nonetheless, the columnist's advice is, IMO, right ... nothing wrong with it unless the practice is leading one of the participants into danger. At that point, maybe you could get together at an ice cream shop.

When I was Scoutmaster and my wife was Assistant (really the one who did most of the work), there were always a few parents who wanted a monthly visit together to the local bar. It gradually seemed to overshadow their real reason (excuse) for being out. Odd how they were, at least half of them, the parents with boys of whom I always said "that kid needs a parent to straighten him out."
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #83 on: August 10, 2013, 04:44:06 PM »

I personally feel that anytime one needs to conceal alcohol in an "innocent" looking cup is an inappropriate time to drink.

I would definitely not accept a random open cup of drink like that from someone I barely knew, never mind sip it. One of my friends pulled that on me in college. He came to my room totally sloshed, told me "Here, try this drink. My friend made it at the party upstairs" and handed me a cup. I thought "I don't know your friend and I don't know if anybody's tampered with it." Then I said "OH THANK YOU. *pretends to sip* THIS-IS-DELICIOUS. OKAY, THAT'S ENOUGH FOR ME."  ::)   

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #84 on: August 10, 2013, 07:12:32 PM »

Etiquette issue , how do you turn it down?  I don't think teacher should look shocked and since its "hidden" and maybe "oh thank you but I can't have this one school grounds " may just get "but no one will know" debate.  I think anything besides "thank you . no" could be perceived as judgmental?

You hand it back and say, "Oh, no, I'd rather not." And if someone says, "no one will know," you just say, "I'd rather not." No judgment there at all.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2013, 08:00:26 PM »

Knowing the parents that I work with that would do this - I would wait till they walked out then pour it down the sink, finally e-mail my principal this happened and I got rid of the drink.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2013, 08:20:35 PM »
I think the idea of somebody giving you alcohol eithout you being aware is a very different etiquette question.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2013, 09:36:16 PM »
I think the idea of somebody giving you alcohol eithout you being aware is a very different etiquette question.

Absolutely!  I am a drinker, but I don't want anybody slipping me alcohol on the sly.   
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

dawbs

« Reply #88 on: August 10, 2013, 09:50:25 PM »

I've had it happen @ work (I work at a college and it's not unusual that I am still 'on the clock' when many other people in the room are not.  Hazards of being staff, not faculty :P) and I've found "boss would have my head, thank you though, bean dip?" variations work well.
And people who know Boss are well aware that, yes, my head woud be had and there's no doubt boss could sniff it out if I acted foolish.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2013, 02:27:08 PM »
I'm fine about someone having a drink with their meal as long as they don't endanger anyone else.  I do think there are places I would not want the smell of alcohol on my person, and a school meeting is one of them. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.