News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• February 28, 2017, 04:32:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 3027069 times)

Redneck Gravy

Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #10890 on: February 08, 2017, 09:50:56 AM »
Special employee insisted she be given a free hand on a line of new inventory items (all food related), manager and store owner were agreeable to a budget limit of x dollars.  She grossly over ordered the first round and forgot to mention they would have to be refrigerated.  A display refrigerator was purchased and she got proper advertising budget approval, the project was in full swing.   

At the end of a year she had purchased tens of thousands of dollars (over the budget) of merchandise that was not selling.  Manager finally stepped in and ordered that the items be discounted and floor space reduced to accommodate what was selling and clean up the display, etc.  The new line was declared a failure (to say the least).  Special employee then demanded (not asked) a raise for her efforts. 

Store owner (who had the heart of a teacher) sat down with her and had her explain how she had earned a raise?  She produced a spreadsheet of purchases and sales showing a break even point.  Owner then asked, what about the display refrigerator?  What about your salary on this project?  What about the cost of running the refrigerator, the maintenance of floor space, advertising cost and what about the inventory still not paid for?  You are showing me a break even spreadsheet that is not factual, I want you to succeed and I want to pay you more but show me how any of this project has been profitable?  Let's talk about the pitfalls you learned about and figure out a way to clean up this disaster and a better method for next time. 

Instead of being reasonable she threw an embarrassing, screaming hissy fit and quit.     

eltf177

« Reply #10891 on: February 08, 2017, 01:32:35 PM »
Instead of being reasonable she threw an embarrassing, screaming hissy fit and quit.

Pity more troublesome employees don't do this and save managers/corporate the time and trouble of having to ease them out the door, not to mention their co-workers who have to put up with them... ::)

TeamBhakta

« Reply #10892 on: February 22, 2017, 04:14:08 PM »
A bit of PD & special snowflakery all in one: A marathon runner skipped two miles of a course. Someone at the race called her out on this, so she went to race officials to ensure she'd stay listed as 2nd place. A man who catches marathon cheats found a bunch of evidence proving she lied, including biking the course after it was over to fudge her data. Miss PD / Snowflake tried to claim she felt sick during the race & that's why she cheated. And now a picture has surfaced showing someone else wearing her racing bib in a previous race.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/restaurants/new-york-food-blogger-busted-for-cheating-in-fort-lauderdale-half-marathon-9156729

http://www.marathoninvestigation.com/2017/02/runner-disqualified-after-claiming-2nd.html

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #10893 on: February 24, 2017, 07:23:11 AM »
Our new office assistant is making a name for herself in all the wrong ways. She is a big fan of laminating little signs and putting them in places with passive aggressive sayings, and many of them are in place to tell us how to operate the microwave, that we need to wash our dishes, and on the refrigerator as a reminder to take home our containers.

This is an office of adults. In my 11 years in this office, we have never had an issue with any of these things, and I went to her supervisor, and will go higher if needed.

ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #10894 on: February 24, 2017, 07:37:32 AM »
Laminating: For when you want to go that extra mile to show how obsessed you are.

ladyknight1

« Reply #10895 on: February 24, 2017, 07:42:17 AM »
Laminating: For when you want to go that extra mile to show how obsessed you are.

It seems to be a obsession, where she is very lax in other things, like timeliness and taking her breaks as scheduled.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #10896 on: February 24, 2017, 08:28:02 AM »

I think I may have worked with her twin sister.  Laminating unneeded signs and posting them everywhere.    And yet, she was terminated for being unable to complete her work in a timely manner.  Then told everyone all over town that she had been trying to get us organized and we were too resistant.

Right.  This place has been in business successfully for over 20 years but YOU trying to get us organized resulted in your dismissal.   ::)   

Shalamar

« Reply #10897 on: February 24, 2017, 10:33:34 AM »
That reminds me of my old job.  We had a new hire, and within a week, he'd sent out an e-mail to the entire office saying something like "(Blah) happened.  Don't do this again."   It might - MIGHT - have been acceptable if he'd been hired as a supervisor or manager, but he was a lowly peon like most of the rest of us.

ladyknight1

« Reply #10898 on: February 24, 2017, 10:39:44 AM »
She is the lowest member of the staff. The signs are proliferating and I will go to the business director if I need to.
-J.R.R Tolkien

siamesecat2965

« Reply #10899 on: February 24, 2017, 12:41:29 PM »

I think I may have worked with her twin sister.  Laminating unneeded signs and posting them everywhere.    And yet, she was terminated for being unable to complete her work in a timely manner.  Then told everyone all over town that she had been trying to get us organized and we were too resistant.

Right.  This place has been in business successfully for over 20 years but YOU trying to get us organized resulted in your dismissal.   ::)

We have one of those as well. She works, or thought used to work, in bldg. services. and would take it upon herself to meander around and clean things and try and look busy. kitchen areas etc. but always when someone was trying to actually use the area!

She also used to take it upon herself to "clean out" the fridge. without notice, and if she found things expired, like yogurt, but maybe only by a day or a few days, she'd throw it out. Never mind that i, and others, still find it ok to eat. its also ok where I work to put things in without labeling them. the only time its an issue is when we get actual notice the fridge will be cleaned, and if your stuff isn't marked, it goes. But normally its never an issue as we are all adults, and manage to respect each other's food.

I once had a small bottle of milk, which for some reason had no expiration date, but i had just bought it, and used it, so it was fine. I also had it in a plastic grocery bag since milk seems to be fair game, and thought of as for everyone to use in their coffee.  Our admin (who knew it was mine) practically had to wrestle it out of her hands before she chucked it because she deemed it to be bad.

o_gal

« Reply #10900 on: February 24, 2017, 12:59:27 PM »
She is the lowest member of the staff. The signs are proliferating and I will go to the business director if I need to.

She may have been instructed to do this. It may be listed as a duty of the admin assistant to post signs regarding office procedures. Even if none of her predecessors did it, she may ask and be told that yes, the assistant is supposed to do this. Maybe someone could address the tone of her language in the signs, if they are of the PA type.

We had a paid nursery supervisor position at my church that had sign posting listed as one of the duties. But no one had ever done it. Then a new person was hired, saw that she was supposed to put up signs, and asked. As part of the committee that oversaw her position, we told her yes, those signs are supposed to be up. So even though there had never been a sign before over the diaper changing table stating that we had to wash our hands before and after changes, and all the volunteers knew that you had to do that, she put a sign up. It ticked off some of the volunteers, but it was required for the position.

ladyknight1

« Reply #10901 on: February 24, 2017, 03:19:44 PM »

She may have been instructed to do this. It may be listed as a duty of the admin assistant to post signs regarding office procedures. Even if none of her predecessors did it, she may ask and be told that yes, the assistant is supposed to do this. Maybe someone could address the tone of her language in the signs, if they are of the PA type.

We had a paid nursery supervisor position at my church that had sign posting listed as one of the duties. But no one had ever done it. Then a new person was hired, saw that she was supposed to put up signs, and asked. As part of the committee that oversaw her position, we told her yes, those signs are supposed to be up. So even though there had never been a sign before over the diaper changing table stating that we had to wash our hands before and after changes, and all the volunteers knew that you had to do that, she put a sign up. It ticked off some of the volunteers, but it was required for the position.

No one has asked her to do this, according to her supervisor. She is responsible for the front desk, ordering supplies and answering the phones. That is it.
-J.R.R Tolkien

diesel_darlin

« Reply #10902 on: February 25, 2017, 05:13:12 AM »
I'm guilty of making the laminated signs at a previous job. In my defense, I was the only woman on a crew of men who thought that it was my job to clean up after them. I worked in the paint department of a metal fab shop, and the guys who worked outside the ovens thought that it was perfectly acceptable to throw their bottles full of snuff spit under the ovens for me to pick up.  >:(

Some PD from my current job. A member of 2nd shift accidentally filled out a product ticket wrong. When the run is complete, sometimes there are leftovers. The leftovers can be used the next day. It was an error that was easily fixed, but the first shift leads decided to throw away all of the leftover product instead of waiting for second shift to come in later and correct the situation. The supervisor was not happy.

Asharah

« Reply #10903 on: February 25, 2017, 06:24:33 PM »
I once put up a sign on the coffee maker, stating that coffee grounds DO NOT belong in the recycle bin. Yes, it was necessary.
Asharah