News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 19, 2017, 06:00:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Which Realtor to choose??  (Read 639 times)

Sanity Lost

Which Realtor to choose??
« on: January 16, 2017, 12:32:26 PM »
O Wise E-hellions; I have a conundrum for you. It's pick the Realtor time and I'm stuck! Both come highly recommended and I like both, however, I can only choose 1 and the law prevents me from having them duel it out with swords at dawn.

So...
Realtor A - very professional. Came prepared with the lockbox, paperwork and a plan to get the house on the market. She listed exactly what she will be looking for and how to go about getting me the highest price reasonable. Ready to start asap and had a list of investors ready to call. Very impressed with how she presented herself and her business and would be very confident leaving this in her hands. 

Realtor B - also very professional. Not quite as prepared as Realtor A; but when asked her plans to sell the house, she drew the same plan as Realtor A. She just seemed more laid back and personable then A. Also, she came in her grubbies and spent 3 HOURS of her own time helping me throw clean out the garage. She told me that last year she had been in almost the same position as I am; and would do whatever it takes to help me get the best price soonest. Would also be very confident leaving this in her hands.

Who do I choose???

Bert

Re: Which Realtor to choose??
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 12:54:46 PM »
Tough choice.  Here would be my concern with realtor A... She has a list of investors ready to call.  That can be a good and bad thing.  While its fantastic to already have leads, if she is calling these people when a good deal comes available, she really may not be working exclusively for you, and with your best interest in mind.  I guess I'd like her preparedness better, but I'd want to know about your real estate market.  Is it super hot right now, in that almost everything that goes on the market goes quick and at or above asking price?  Or is it slow, and things take months to sell?  If it's the first, then I'd be wary of her investors, if its the second, she may be the smart pick.

Sanity Lost

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 01:05:11 PM »
Its a very hot sellers market right now especially for fixer uppers. Both Realtors are telling me that we should be able to sell the house within 45 days once it's on the market. I need to make this decision asap and I'm waffling.  :-\

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 01:31:23 PM »
It's a tough call.  I think you would do well with either of them.  But in your situation, I'd be tempted to go with B.  You need all the support you can get right now and the fact that she was willing to help you, on her own time, is important, IMO.  I think she would more likely to be there for you if you call her with a crisis.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Bert

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 02:01:28 PM »
I agree with Outdoor Girl.  I took a little time to read over why you were selling, and I think that having someone on your side who is willing to put in a little elbow grease where it is needed is a pretty valuable asset.  If it were harder to sell homes where you are, the diligence of Realtor A would be more of a plus, but your area sounds like mine.  The marketing and all that is maybe less important when simply putting your house on the MLS and having an open house is going to get you multiple offers.

katycoo

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 02:02:27 PM »
Another for B here.  I was all ready to say A but I think B proved her dedication to you as a client.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 02:10:36 PM »
My gut is to go with B.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

malfoyfan13

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 02:56:52 PM »
We were in the same boat 3 years ago, very hot market, asked 3 realtors to present their case.  We went with the prepared, professional go-getter (A in your case).  Never regretted it.  In our case, B was a nice person, but she wasn't prepared, and in real estate you have to be ready and act quickly.  I was afraid that B would be too laid-back and we'd miss out somehow.  While it's great to feel comfortable with someone, you have to be confident she'll get the job done. As for the work she helped you with - nice, but that isn't something I would expect from a realtor.  Her job is to sell your house.

As an aside, we had the third option, I'll call it C, and we liked them, too.  I just had a gut feeling about A and I felt she did a great job.  One of the reasons I liked her was she stayed on top of everything, including my DH (who was working on getting the house ready for the market and tends to be kind of slow and deliberate).  It was just what we needed to get going and get the house on the market.  It sold quickly and for a price above asking.

Regarding investors - you don't have to go with an offer from an investor if you don't want to.  Our agent had some investors and we turned them down because the offer was for the asking price and we knew if we waited we'd get a better price. 

Good luck!

Sanity Lost

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 03:00:04 PM »
Sounds like B is the consensus. Now how do I let A know?

I was thinking of calling and saying:
Hi A,
So I looked over your proposal and I was very impressed with it. However, I've decided to use a different realtor. This was a very difficult decision to make but I feel this is the right 1 for me. I wish you the best of luck Sanity

FauxFoodist

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 04:20:20 PM »
O Wise E-hellions; I have a conundrum for you. It's pick the Realtor time and I'm stuck! Both come highly recommended and I like both, however, I can only choose 1 and the law prevents me from having them duel it out with swords at dawn.

So...
Realtor A - very professional. Came prepared with the lockbox, paperwork and a plan to get the house on the market. She listed exactly what she will be looking for and how to go about getting me the highest price reasonable. Ready to start asap and had a list of investors ready to call. Very impressed with how she presented herself and her business and would be very confident leaving this in her hands. 

Realtor B - also very professional. Not quite as prepared as Realtor A; but when asked her plans to sell the house, she drew the same plan as Realtor A. She just seemed more laid back and personable then A. Also, she came in her grubbies and spent 3 HOURS of her own time helping me throw clean out the garage. She told me that last year she had been in almost the same position as I am; and would do whatever it takes to help me get the best price soonest. Would also be very confident leaving this in her hands.

Who do I choose???

I know you already chose, but it kinda sounds like B was as prepared as A, just in a different manner (given her showing up in her grubbies so she had every intention of helping you get things ready to go, even before becoming your official realtor!).

Hi A,
So I looked over your proposal and I was very impressed with it. However, I've decided to use a different realtor. This was a very difficult decision to make but I feel this is the right 1 for me. I wish you the best of luck Sanity

That sounds fine.  A sounds like she's very on the ball so not getting your business won't be a big deal.  Who knows -- you may end up dealing with her as the buyer's agent given she'll still have investors she needs to call (actually, that would be what would've swayed me to B -- that A might be representing both sides).

kudeebee

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 08:46:15 PM »
I know you have made your choice, but I would go with A.

I have friends that are realtors that are A's and B's.  The A's are more successful, sell more houses, list more houses.

Good luck with selling your house!

sylviatexas

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 09:00:18 PM »
Realtor here. I would go with me. Super producers are good for themselves, not necessarily so much for their clients. High production means pushing buyers pushing sellers etcetera. Good luck with your house

AvidReader

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 09:56:50 PM »

Hi A,

May I recommend that you commit to B and get her commitment to you before informing A of your decision?  Strange things can happen and suddenly B might not be available; A would be your instant backup. 

Just today, we interviewed 4 companies to conduct an estate sale at my DFIL's home.  We contacted our #1 choice with a phone call and firmed thing up with him before we let the others know by email that they had not been selected.  The wording of your note to A seems fine.  I would add something like thanking her for her time and that it was a pleasure to meet her.

jpcher

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 04:45:11 PM »

Hi A,

May I recommend that you commit to B and get her commitment to you before informing A of your decision?  Strange things can happen and suddenly B might not be available; A would be your instant backup. 

Just today, we interviewed 4 companies to conduct an estate sale at my DFIL's home.  We contacted our #1 choice with a phone call and firmed thing up with him before we let the others know by email that they had not been selected.  The wording of your note to A seems fine.  I would add something like thanking her for her time and that it was a pleasure to meet her.

This is excellent advice.

FauxFoodist brought up a good point, will you also be using 'B' for your new home buying agent?