News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• September 03, 2015, 10:39:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My UK 2017 trip  (Read 1926 times)

katiescarlett

Re: My UK 2017 trip
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2015, 07:29:28 PM »
We've decided to go in April and to stay in London, with a trip to Edinburgh, where we may stay for a couple of days.  I am trying to convince her that we need two weeks, but luckily I have awhile to work on that.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 08:29:36 PM by katiescarlett »

Nuala

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2015, 07:17:21 PM »
This August I'm going on a British Isle Tour using CIE Tours (bus tour).  It is a trip my sister and her husband wanted to do and they asked us to go with them.  The tour hits all the places you want and they do the driving.  We are doing the 11 day one.  I've never been on a CIE Tour so don't know yet how well they run things (we did do a Viking River Cruise in Russia and can recommend that strongly).  If you like (and I remember), I can report back after the trip with my thoughts.

My SIL and I took a CIE tour in Ireland last year. I highly recommend the company. We had a wonderful tour guide/driver (which is half the battle), and even the attractions I didn't think I cared about were wonderful.

The hotels varied in amenities, yet we're all very nice. Most of the meals were pre-arranged, but there was some free time in each of the cities.

It was my SIL who suggested the bus tour. I didn't imagine I would enjoy it as much as I did, and I would take another tour with CIE in a minute. Who's up to a Taste of Wales and Ireland with me?

AvidReader

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2015, 07:17:29 AM »
While we spent two weeks in London, we did get out of town.  We took two bus day trips using Golden Tours.  GT picks up at the major hotels.  The guides were excellent and we got to see the country side. 

We also took three train day trips to Oxford, Brighton, and York.  The evenings that we did not have day trips, we had theater tickets.  I booked everthing online weeks before we even packed our bags. With the train tickets you can get a considerable discount buying BritRail passes.

DH is the active type and I didn't know how he'd do on a bus which is why I only booked day trips.  Some years ago, I did a week-long CIE bus tour of Ireland (excellent), while DH and DS spent a week camping in the mountains.  I can't imagine how DH would cope with all that time on a bus and being herded from (nonetheless outstanding) place to place. 

scotcat60

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2015, 08:36:30 AM »

You have half of it right: a brolly is an umbrella, but woollies are woollen clothing, so warm stuff, like sweaters.

Unless it is really wet, and then you might need WELLIES, which are Wellington i.e. rubber boots.

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2015, 03:34:20 PM »
We've decided to go in April and to stay in London, with a trip to Edinburgh, where we may stay for a couple of days.  I am trying to convince her that we need two weeks, but luckily I have awhile to work on that.

You'll probably want to stay for at least two nights to actually see something from Edinburgh. I just checked on google maps, and without traffic, just driving time from London Heathrow to Edinburgh is over 6 hours. And that doesn't take into account traffic or potty breaks. It will be a long drive to do even one way in one day. I might look at finding someplace to stay about half way at least in one direction. There are so many other things to do and see. Alternatively I'd think about what you would like to see in Edinburgh and see if there isn't a town closer to London that offers similar things. Perhaps look at Cardiff. Or fly to Edinburgh.

Mustard

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2015, 04:39:44 PM »

What is y'all's opinion on airbnb.com?  I was thinking it might be fun to rent an apartment in London for the duration of the trip.

If you're looking at airbnb, keep an eye on this:

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/feb/10/airbnb-to-be-legalised-in-london

Should be legal by the time you arrive.  As to renting a whole apartment in London, I suggest you start playing the lottery, because it is expensive.

katiescarlett

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2015, 08:29:08 PM »

What is y'all's opinion on airbnb.com?  I was thinking it might be fun to rent an apartment in London for the duration of the trip.

If you're looking at airbnb, keep an eye on this:

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/feb/10/airbnb-to-be-legalised-in-london

Should be legal by the time you arrive.  As to renting a whole apartment in London, I suggest you start playing the lottery, because it is expensive.

Thank you.

Snooks

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2015, 12:15:52 PM »

You'll probably want to stay for at least two nights to actually see something from Edinburgh. I just checked on google maps, and without traffic, just driving time from London Heathrow to Edinburgh is over 6 hours. And that doesn't take into account traffic or potty breaks. It will be a long drive to do even one way in one day. I might look at finding someplace to stay about half way at least in one direction. There are so many other things to do and see. Alternatively I'd think about what you would like to see in Edinburgh and see if there isn't a town closer to London that offers similar things. Perhaps look at Cardiff. Or fly to Edinburgh.

Cardiff is still 3 hours minimum from London.  I'd recommend flying or getting the train.

ScubaGirl

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2015, 06:52:10 AM »
This August I'm going on a British Isle Tour using CIE Tours (bus tour).  It is a trip my sister and her husband wanted to do and they asked us to go with them.  The tour hits all the places you want and they do the driving.  We are doing the 11 day one.  I've never been on a CIE Tour so don't know yet how well they run things (we did do a Viking River Cruise in Russia and can recommend that strongly).  If you like (and I remember), I can report back after the trip with my thoughts.

We got back from our trip on Monday.  If you really want to see England, Scotland, Ireland, and Wales in a little more than a week, I strongly recommend CIE Tours.  The tour we took covered all of these countries.  There are pluses and minuses to tours, of course, but given your time restraints and the fact that you have not been there before, this is really the way to go.  We had a lot of fun and saw so many things.  We would have liked to stay longer in practically every place we went but that would require a vacation of at least a month.  It is great being dropped off at the front door of things with tickets already in hand.  We never had to spend time checking into or out of hotels.  Many of the meals were provided.  There is some free time each day - some days more than others.  CIE is very organized and the information they send you before your trip is very helpful. 

If/When we go back we feel much more confident to plan our own itinerary and figure out how to travel from one place to another.  We would not have that confidence if it wasn't for this trip. 

I hope you have a great time whatever way you choose.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2015, 07:17:45 AM »
I think you're smart to cut back on what you want to see, in the time you have to see it. I'm planning a trip to London in Nov. 2016, for a week, and having trouble narrowing down what it is i want to see and do! 

Also keep in mind, depending on when you travel, that will affect the cost. I know for me to fly when I'm planning (based on current fares and guestimates, it probably will be almost half of what it would cost if i went in the spring or summer. Hotels too.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2015, 07:37:22 AM »
We went to Edinburgh 2 years ago, I recommend Holyrood Castle as well as Edinburgh Castle. They're at opposite ends of The Royal Mile. If you stay a night there, try a Ghost Tour, it's fantastic and unlike many other tours, all the buildings are still standing. The Old Town is very old.

Victoria

Seraphine1

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2015, 07:39:46 AM »

I can't imagine making this journey in only 6 hours.  We've driven it lots of times by car and tend to average closer to ten hours.  The traffic is a nightmare, and lots of the route is covered by speed cameras, so it's not like you can put your foot down on the quiet spots. 

I live in Scotland, and I've also lived just outside of London.  If you've got a week only, I would just do London, or maybe 4 days in London and 3 days in Edinburgh (see if you can get an open jaw flight if this is the case).  If you've got two weeks, by all means add to your itinerary, but I can't stress how much there is to see and do... you'll never see it all. 

katiescarlett

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2015, 11:35:35 AM »
Well, now I am applying to graduate school this fall, to begin in the fall of 2016, so this trip will probably have to be postponed until I graduate (if I am accepted, that is  :)).

I appreciate all the responses and advice, though, as I do still want to go very much!  I think I will keep doing research for the trip, deciding what we want to do and when, and if I don't get into graduate school, the trip will be on as as planned.  If I do get in, then I will simply reevaluate and hopefully we will get to go after I graduate, even if it is a couple of years after that.  I'm only 36 after all!  Hopefully I still have many travel years left in me!