News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 19, 2017, 02:59:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 2450574 times)

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #8565 on: August 11, 2017, 01:19:26 PM »
I remember doing some research about starting a niche business (some 25 years ago now) and getting warned by a couple of people who had similar active businesses at the time about the sheer number of people who will try to get you to donate and how few people want to pay you to do what your business is set up to do.

But they are all sure that you want to donate your time, materials, and services to their worthy cause, whether you are making money or not...

It wasn't the only thing that convinced me not to go into business...but it was one of the cons that outweighed the eventual list of pros.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #8566 on: August 11, 2017, 02:03:58 PM »
I remember doing some research about starting a niche business (some 25 years ago now) and getting warned by a couple of people who had similar active businesses at the time about the sheer number of people who will try to get you to donate and how few people want to pay you to do what your business is set up to do.

But they are all sure that you want to donate your time, materials, and services to their worthy cause, whether you are making money or not...

It wasn't the only thing that convinced me not to go into business...but it was one of the cons that outweighed the eventual list of pros.

Right, because that is how you make your living - giving your time, materials and services away...  ::)

I realize times have changed but I worked for a media group that during slow times had us go through the yellow pages in phone books and check to see if every business was either on the air-radio/tv or had been contacted about advertising.  It was the same for some charitable organizations, they checked city/county filings for new businesses weekly and then came to see you.

Everyone not in business thinks you are dying to donate, to every cause out there.

Sebastienne

« Reply #8567 on: August 11, 2017, 02:51:14 PM »
Absolutely. It's one of the hassles of owning a small business. I worked at a small brewery for a while, and we would get at least one email a day asking us to donate beer. The best were things like, "We're having a block party, and while we can't pay you, at least 100 people will be there. Think of the exposure you'd get by donating a keg!" Sure. Instead of making close to $1000 selling that beer in our taproom, we could instead get free "exposure" to you and a few dozen of your friends. Sold!

We would donate merchandise and gift cards to certain causes we felt strongly about, but never beer.

gmatoy

« Reply #8568 on: August 11, 2017, 03:29:53 PM »
I once went in person to ask our local A&W to make a donation to our PTA. I was known to the owner because a group of us ate our lunch there every Friday. She agreed to give us a donation.

We put a "Donations graciously given By:" list in the newsletter. I sent a copy of the newsletter and a thank you note to her. She couldn't thank me enough! First follow up she had ever had. Isn't that sad?

GardenGal

« Reply #8569 on: August 11, 2017, 03:45:16 PM »
GardenGal - that is the exact thing we learned to do.

Those that pay promptly get better prices and those that don't get charged extra (hidden fees). 

SNIP

I can't tell you how much I loved working for that man!

And you know when non profits put their foot in their mouth like that you have to wonder who else thinks maybe they aren't gracious enough to appreciate my donation, KWIM?

That's my idea of a great boss!
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

Minmom3

• Life moves onward and upward
« Reply #8570 on: August 11, 2017, 08:54:26 PM »
I once went in person to ask our local A&W to make a donation to our PTA. I was known to the owner because a group of us ate our lunch there every Friday. She agreed to give us a donation.

We put a "Donations graciously given By:" list in the newsletter. I sent a copy of the newsletter and a thank you note to her. She couldn't thank me enough! First follow up she had ever had. Isn't that sad?

That's very sad. And very stupid, too!  Talk about biting the hand that feeds you!  Dang....
Double MIL now; not yet a Grandma.  Owner of Lard Butt Noelle, kitteh extraordinaire!

gmatoy

« Reply #8571 on: August 12, 2017, 11:15:45 PM »

That's very sad. And very stupid, too!  Talk about biting the hand that feeds you!  Dang....

Exactly!!

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #8572 on: August 13, 2017, 12:16:29 PM »
When VorGuy was still teaching, he got asked by one of the store managers who donated to their group every year if the group could provide some volunteers to help with another project.  Even after VorGuy retired the end of 2015, we still see those students (or the younger new ones in the same program) working at that Back To School project (handing out pamphlets or similar activities) every August.  The manager that I spoke to marveled that this is the only group that the store donates to that volunteers to do this one project when they need help. 

VorGuy also made sure that letters of appreciation got written & sent...and left the templates in the computer when he retired, for the "next people" to use, if they wanted to.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

gmatoy

« Reply #8573 on: August 13, 2017, 01:36:59 PM »
When VorGuy was still teaching, he got asked by one of the store managers who donated to their group every year if the group could provide some volunteers to help with another project.  Even after VorGuy retired the end of 2015, we still see those students (or the younger new ones in the same program) working at that Back To School project (handing out pamphlets or similar activities) every August.  The manager that I spoke to marveled that this is the only group that the store donates to that volunteers to do this one project when they need help. 

VorGuy also made sure that letters of appreciation got written & sent...and left the templates in the computer when he retired, for the "next people" to use, if they wanted to.

VorGuy did a good and kind thing in both writing the letters of appreciation and leaving the template for the next people. Hope they appreciate being able to just do what is needed without reinventing the wheel, so to speak.