News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 30, 2016, 02:11:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Grrr...auto accident and at-fault driver won't respond to insurance Update #12  (Read 1081 times)

siamesecat2965

OP here:  Got a call this morning from the other driver's claims adjuster.  He's been out, took pictures and notes and will be submitting on his end.  I am looking at a new bumper cover, step cover, new tow hitch and at least two of the rear park assist sensors. 

He told me the same advice many have given here.  Just keep calling on a daily basis, reminding the claims rep that it's his client that is refusing to contact them and is interfering with the full usage of my vehicle.  I didn't realize until today that I can't open the back liftgate of my truck because the step cover is bent and in the way.  That's more of a PITA than the rest of the damage. 

I'm really putting my foot down about not having to pay my deductible so I'll see how long I can stand waiting it out before I cave. 

If the other driver is 100% at fault you'll get your deductible back.  But talk to your insurance agent, they may be able to work something out.

Definitely. I don't really recall every having to pay it up front, and get reimbursed. ALl the times I got rear-ended, i couldn't have afforded to do that. 5 total for me.

cattlekid

Good point.  I just have been burned too many times with laying out money for something I should be reimbursed for and then waiting around for reimbursement that never arrives.  (I'm looking at you, Sprint). 

It might be worth a call to my insurance company just to see what they would say.

If the other driver is 100% at fault you'll get your deductible back.  But talk to your insurance agent, they may be able to work something out.

cattlekid

Frame damage is DH's fear.  I remember my first accident in high school...I was driving my boyfriend's beater car and we got rear ended.  The frame was bent so badly that the back doors no longer opened.  The car was not worth repairing, IIRC he ended up with a check for around $400.   :(

And not to scare you, once they get going, they may find more damage that's unseen. I ended up with about a thousand dollars more than anticipated, because the frame inside was damaged.

Good luck!

nutraxfornerves

Chiming in late, but I had an experience like that--except I immediately contacted my own insurance company. The other person ran a red light and there were witnesses. My insurance company told me that they'd get everything started, but cautioned me that if I were at fault, completely or partially, then I might have to reimburse them. They got me a rental car within an hour, towed my car off to a body shop within a day, and got an adjuster estimate a couple of days later.

I thought my car was totaled, but it was still worth enough that my insurance company chose to repair it. I had to pay the deductible, but my agent told me that, as the other person was at fault, I would be reimbursed for it as soon as the my company had gone through the subrogation process and gotten paid by the other insurance company.

One I got the car back, I thought it was pretty much over, until I got two pieces of mail on the same day. One from the other insurance company saying "we have determined that the person at fault was not covered at the time of the accident" and one from my company saying the same thing, plus "your uninsured motorist coverage has now kicked in. Here is a check for your deductible. By they way, are you sure you have no medical expenses as a result of this? (I didn't)"

Just recently I got a letter from a collection agency. They are required by law to notify me that my insurance company has hired them to collect directly from the person at fault, in case I am pursuing a lawsuit.

The damages to my car were over $14,000. I had the rental car for a month. There were towing costs. No doubt my insurance company has found a bunch of administrative costs to add on. No wonder it was worth it to hire a collection agency.

When I bought my new car, I decided to pay for top drawer insurance, and it turns out to have been a good choice. Just got a new premium notice. No increase.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

andi

Hugs. Played this game twice in one year.
The second time the guy ran a red light (in front of a cop and a picture light) and hit a car that then hit me. To talked the middle car - major rear ended damage to mine. At Fault guy had third rate inurance and they were such a pain that I hung up on them when they refused to pay tribute a tow truck. Called  mine - they took care of everything. I did pay my deductible to the auto shop but was reimbursed 2 weeks later. It was worth it to me not to deal with the horrid insurance company.

cattlekid

She's got a top drawer insurance company and I've been pleased in dealing with them so far.  I think they are truly just as aggravated as I am that she has not responded to them yet. 

My husband was hit a few years ago by a lady who then drove off and through parking lots to evade the accident scene.  DH followed her long enough to get her plate number.  He called the police and then we got a call from the lady directly!  Apparently an officer showed up at her house with "six tickets and a warrant" (her words) and she wanted to know if we could do this outside of insurance.  DH is a soft touch and agreed.  We got the estimate and the lady paid half up front before the work started.  We knew the maximum we would be out, but true to her word, she showed up the day the car was done and paid the other half of what she owed.

When she pulled into the parking lot of the body shop, she almost hit the owner's parked car on the way in.  She had questionable insurance to start and I'm sure she wanted to hold on to that insurance no matter how bottom-of-the-barrel so that she wouldn't have to go into the state high risk insurance pool.  I can only hope by this point she has given up her license as it appeared to be just a matter of time before something worse happened than property damage.

Hugs. Played this game twice in one year.
The second time the guy ran a red light (in front of a cop and a picture light) and hit a car that then hit me. To talked the middle car - major rear ended damage to mine. At Fault guy had third rate inurance and they were such a pain that I hung up on them when they refused to pay tribute a tow truck. Called  mine - they took care of everything. I did pay my deductible to the auto shop but was reimbursed 2 weeks later. It was worth it to me not to deal with the horrid insurance company.