News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 06, 2016, 03:48:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I don't want to carry a purse!  (Read 2997 times)

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
Re: I don't want to carry a purse!
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2016, 11:21:54 PM »
I have a few of these in various colors that I will wear on my wrist if I'm wearing something that doesn't have pockets.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/banjees-wrist-wallet-84710.aspx?&src=&admkt=&mkwid=s_dc&pcrid=108334206241&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=CK-G8b_7rcwCFZSCaQodiGYL5A

mumma to KMC

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2016, 09:33:25 AM »
I don't carry a purse. I have a wallet that fits my phone and I have a hook on the wallet for my keys and that's it. Even if I have to carry a diaper bag, my wallet goes into the side pocket. The less I have to carry, the better.

Sophia

• xi
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2016, 10:03:58 AM »
I have a small wallet that attaches to a keyring.   It has a place for DL and credit cards and anothered zippered pocket for cash.   That and sunglasses and I'm set. 

knitwicca

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2016, 12:48:23 PM »
I have a clip on my keychain and an Otterbox with a clip for my cell phone.

For DL, a few dollars and my insurance card, I carry this http://recycledfirefighter.com/products/slim-wallet?variant=956158201

It has a loop on the back that is supposed to be to slide cash into but I use to slide it onto a belt.
It keeps my hands free when I am at events and, unless I tuck in my blouse/shirt, it is invisible.

katiescarlett

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2016, 02:38:27 PM »
This is something I've been thinking about a lot lately. I carry this stuff every single day, and while I use everything in my bag, it does kill my shoulders. I carry my wallet, keys, iphone 6, kindle fire, and clear plastic pouch (a small one) that holds my ipod, earbuds, kindle and phone chargers, another small clear plastic zipped pouch that holds the medication and inhaler that I need every day. I also carry a personal sized Filofax, though that is about to change back to an A5 size, as it is a planner I use for both work and personal stuff. My glasses case and sunglasses case, plus a small tube of lotion and another very small zippered bag that holds chapstick, lipstick, a small mirror, fingernail clippers, extra ponytail holders and a few bandaids, and a pencil case that holds a few pens, a high-lighter, and extra lead for my mechanical pencil. Also, lately I've been putting in a library book to read on my lunch break (I mostly read my Kindle, but I also like to listen to it all day with my earbuds while working and am currently reading several library books).

I have a medium sized classic messenger bag from Timbuk2, that I love, love, love, but it sometimes feels like I am loading up a bag for school. I also have a small classic messenger bag from there, but it can be tight fitting everything in.

Any suggestions? I wish I could make myself downsize, but right now I use the things in my bag every day.

Syfygeek

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2016, 02:57:15 PM »
I bought this http://www.walletbe.com/product/12ACZ.html a few years ago to go into my huge purses. Now I just grab the wallet. In it I have: 2 check books, cash, coins, cell phone, chapstick, pen, cards- insurance, credit, store rewards, etc..

It has a wrist strap and a long strap that can be cross body. I gave out 3 as Christmas gifts and everybody loved them.
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Copper Horsewoman

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2016, 03:38:50 PM »
I ran a stable for seven years. I seldom carry a purse, and if I do, I have a good chance of leaving it in the restaurant. Almost all my clothes (including skirts) have pockets. I carry a wallet, a phone, sometimes tissues or a hanky, and my keys which hang on a fob that looks and works like a giant safety pin, a bit fancied up, which clips to a belt or belt loop. If I do a craft fair, my iPad with Square reader, cash for change, business cards, pens, small bags, etc. go into a crossbody bag I use just for that. If I have something else to carry, it's either clothes for the gym in a gym bag, or files in a briefcase. When I ran my store, I used my briefcase to carry laptop and file I was working on, and if I wanted to wear makeup, that went in a pocket of that brief. I have a lovely vintage Coach bag, but I find I use it less and less.

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2016, 04:01:26 PM »
I am also thinking about switching to a hip bag. I have one for Burning Man:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/62614575/blaster-30-brown-leather-hip-and-holster?ref=shop_home_active_6

And I'm thinking about getting a less tricked out version for daily use.

I can say that heavy purses and backs are one of the major reasons why I have the myofascial pain syndrome in my shoulders/upper back. My current purse weight 8oz, and I've paired down what I carry into the barest essentials:

ID
2 credit cards
health insurance card
phone
iPad mini (which I'm thinking of learning to do without, ugh)
sunglasses (essential because I have a very high risk for macular degeneration, and wearing sunglasses in bright light makes a huge difference)
a pill bottle with all my daily meds
2 pencils
subway card
work ID
house keys
bottle opener (a small, lightweight one, it's amazing how often it's useful)
a few bandaids, safety pins, and tiny hair ties
2 bags of decaf tea
tampons (the smallest I could find)
lip balm
minimal cash (all change gets taken out when I get home)
budget book (a small moleskin book)

I converted every discount card/membership card I have to the KeyRing app on my phone. If I ditch the iPad, then a hip bag will definitely hold up my stuff, free up both hands AND my shoulders will be truly free.

Buuuuuut, I love reading books and playing games on my iPad *so much more* than on my phone. It's a really hard decision. But I think I might start trying it out a few days a week, and then I may still carry the purse sometimes to have the iPad (more likely, for longer trips out of the house), but try to mostly do the hip purse.
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine