News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• April 18, 2015, 12:56:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 830016 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #4050 on: April 16, 2015, 01:15:03 PM »
Well, it was spam, just not a scam. In this case, the company was trying to set a "we're all your best buddies, so you'll feel obligated to respond to us" tone. Which is what scammers use as well.

But yes, their marketing people should learn how *not* to sound like sleazy scam artists.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

lilfox

« Reply #4051 on: April 16, 2015, 02:16:58 PM »
My parents' neighborhood association has sent around a warning about the credit card confirmation scam, which is good because a majority of the population is on the older side and may be less up to date on scam/phishing attempts.

This is the one where the caller claims to be from one of the major credit card companies and actually has your name and address already, along with cc # but that is not always disclosed "for security reasons."  After the full song and dance about a "fraudulent charge" for $XXX (which doesn't exist yet), the caller asks you to confirm the security code on your card to 'prove' that the card is in your possession, and that's the key piece they are phishing for.

The upshot is, if you provide it, the caller will then sign off and immediately charge the $XXX thing to your card.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #4052 on: April 16, 2015, 10:52:23 PM »
I had the Microsoft call yesterday.  "I am Jessica from Microsoft," said in a very thick accent -- the least Jessica sounding person you have ever heard.  "I am calling about your computer." 

What computer, I asked.

There was a moment of bewilderment.  Then, hesitantly, "I am Jessica from Microsoft, and I am calling about your computer."

What computer? I repeated.

I heard a flurry of talk in the background, and Jessica was gone.  Poor Jessica.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #4053 on: April 16, 2015, 11:18:52 PM »
I had one from a bank the other day...a bank I don't have an account with.   Sadly, I  missed the call.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #4054 on: Yesterday at 09:34:02 AM »
A few months ago, I got a phone that does call-blocking.  So, so nice.  Especially for the numbers that just won't stop calling.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #4055 on: Yesterday at 10:10:15 AM »
I am getting Italian spam emails. I can't tell whether they're a scam or just spam, but still... how did I get into an Italian scam/spam email list?!
"Set aphasia to stun!"

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4056 on: Yesterday at 02:01:13 PM »
A few months ago, I got a phone that does call-blocking.  So, so nice.  Especially for the numbers that just won't stop calling.

Wait!  The phone itself can block calls?  How do you do it?

lilfox

« Reply #4057 on: Yesterday at 02:07:26 PM »

Ours does that, up to 40 numbers I think (it's already maxed out).  Once you identify a number as one to block, there are menu features in the Caller ID log that add the number to the block list.  Next time there's a call from that number, it rings once, then the Caller ID screen shows "Caller Blocked" and the ringer is silenced.  There's a way to remove numbers from the blocked list to add new ones, too.  I'd like to get one that doesn't ring at all, though.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #4058 on: Yesterday at 02:08:27 PM »

There may be other brands, but I have a Panasonic cordless phone that blocks calls.  You need to have Caller ID service.  When the phone rings, the phone checks if the number is in the block list and will hang up on them after one ring.  Our model can block up to 250 numbers, so it's not maxed out *yet*.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4059 on: Yesterday at 02:13:55 PM »
Thanks, Lil Fox and Harriet Jones!

*Departs to go look for phone's instruction manual.*

LadyDyani

« Reply #4060 on: Yesterday at 02:37:28 PM »
I add the number to my contact list and set the ringer for that number to silent, so my phone doesn't ring when they call.

The only downside is having to clear my voicemail.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4061 on: Yesterday at 04:36:00 PM »
RE: Nigerian Prince scams

http://twistedsifter.com/videos/what-email-in-real-life-would-be-like/

(see about halfway through)