News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 24, 2017, 06:52:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 1266869 times)

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
Sounds like a relative of the woman who wanted the dinosaur books with color photographs for her son's school report on dinosaurs - because the sketches and paintings just weren't accurate enough...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

MissRose

Sounds like a relative of the woman who wanted the dinosaur books with color photographs for her son's school report on dinosaurs - because the sketches and paintings just weren't accurate enough...
::)  ::)

Thipu1

Decades ago, before the Internet was readily available, I received a phone call at work that would also qualify for the SS thread here.

It was late on a Friday afternoon.  I was in NYC and the caller was from a large city in the Midwest so we're dealing with a one hour time difference.  That was only the beginning of the problem.

As if it was the most natural request in the world he wanted me to write an report on Ancient Egyptian religion for his 12 year-old child and fax it to him before the close of business that day because the report was due on Monday.  (jaw meet floor). 

He lived in a city that I knew had an excellent public library system. There was no reason why a child of that age couldn't do the research for such a paper in an hour or so.

Also, who asks a world-class research library to write a paper for a kid of that age and asks them to do it in under an hour?

When I refused there was the regular barrage of 'C'mon lady!  It's for a little kid!  You  can probably toss this stuff off in your sleep!' and the dreaded 'I pay your salary!'

That was the kicker.  Because I was paid by a private endowment, there was no way he could intimidate me with that.   

« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 02:50:57 PM by Thipu1 »

Yarnspinner

::)  ::)

This happened to  the supervisor of our children's department back in the late 1990s.  The woman was very professionally got up and she was clearly used to getting her way.  My colleague explained and explained and explained about there being no cameras available millions of years ago, but apparently she had seen Jurassic Park and believed otherwise about dinosaur photography.

Of course, I think every librarian has been subjected to some version of this.  One young man wanted a videorecording of George Washington's acceptance speech as president.  Could not understand why that was impossible.

Then there was the boy who had to report on what had happened on his birthday when he was born and what had happened for that year.  Well, his birthday was in May and we could provide him with the headlines for the date of his birth, 15 years earlier.  Unfortunately, he was making this request in January and insisting it had to be May of THE NEW YEAR. 

Two of us basically tag teamed each other explaining why you can't get the newspaper from the future.  His dead serious response?  "I thought they just decided what was going to happen and when." 

VorFemme

NotAlwaysRight.com has some real doozies on people asking for the impossible.  Some just ask for the very difficult, but a few...the tape recording that I heard about being asked for was Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg Address...they'd seen a movie, after all, how hard could it be to get a snip of the sound track?

It being a recreation with a bunch of actors didn't really make any sense to them...because, well, they were already flunking history, so they had no idea when what they were asking for had been invented...

Gladly

You win!  ;D

VorFemme

You win!  ;D

I read about it on "NotAlwaysRight.com" - more than once, a father wanted the best possible books for his child's use and wanted some from another time period - Ancient Egypt? or some such thing...and threw a hissy fit when told that "the materials requested were *not* available".  He was sure that there was some nefarious reason that the reference desk was sabotaging his child's education - rather than that *he* was asking for something that did not exist...because it could not exist - paintings & sculpture were state of the art in that time period - photographs were just not going to be available for several thousand years.  Which is at least sooner than several tens of millions of years.