Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 1641705 times)

MayHug

Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #18225 on: April 16, 2014, 05:56:00 PM »
I saw two today that me do a double-take.

Draygen
Savette

Margo

« Reply #18226 on: April 17, 2014, 08:40:24 AM »

In other news, my almost-BIL has a little niece about the same age as my DS. They named her Fern Ophelia.  :o

Fern  doesn't strike me as particularly unusual - Although it may be that it's become a little more mainstream here due to the TV presenter Fearne Cotton.

turtleIScream

« Reply #18227 on: April 17, 2014, 10:42:14 AM »

In other news, my almost-BIL has a little niece about the same age as my DS. They named her Fern Ophelia.  :o

Fern  doesn't strike me as particularly unusual - Although it may be that it's become a little more mainstream here due to the TV presenter Fearne Cotton.

Fern is not common here, but it doesn't strike me as a  :o name. And I quite like Ophelia. But they don't go together at all. When I said the two names together out loud, my husband said it sounded like a disease, and I agree.

Addy

« Reply #18228 on: April 17, 2014, 11:37:59 AM »

Fern is not common here, but it doesn't strike me as a  :o name. And I quite like Ophelia. But they don't go together at all. When I said the two names together out loud, my husband said it sounded like a disease, and I agree.

Or as a great admiration of leafy fronds.  ;D

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18229 on: April 17, 2014, 01:12:25 PM »
I don't know any Fern in real life so I started thinking why the name is not unusual to me. I realized it doesn't seem strange because I've read a few books with characters with that name. There's also the author Fern Michaels.

That happens to me a lot. Read/hear a name once or twice and it's not longer strange to me.

veryfluffy

« Reply #18230 on: April 17, 2014, 01:20:12 PM »
Fern is the name of the little girl in Charlotte's Web by EB White.

Allyson

« Reply #18231 on: April 17, 2014, 01:21:59 PM »
Charlotte's Web is the first thing I thought of, too! I don't mind either name, but yeah, they really don't go together very well. Fern is very no-nonsense, and Ophelia the opposite, to my mind. Which *can* work, but in this case sounds a bit dissonant.

Kariachi

« Reply #18232 on: April 17, 2014, 01:33:11 PM »
"Fern Ophelia" sounds dissonant, but "Ophelia Fern" might have worked...
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #18233 on: April 17, 2014, 03:23:05 PM »
that thar dern Ephelila is such a bad-un!

(poor attempt at an accent)

I also prefer Ophelia Fern as opposed to Fern Ophelia.
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

lofty

• My blog and shops
« Reply #18234 on: Yesterday at 01:06:44 PM »
I was ok with the first name of Fern (I'd never pick it, but ok) but was  :o at the thought of naming your daughter in any way after a Shakespearean character that goes insane and drowns herself.
Coffee and paper make everything better, hence why my blog is www.CaffeinatedPapercuts.com

Allyson

« Reply #18235 on: Yesterday at 02:23:37 PM »
I don't really mind the literary reference--really so many names that appeared in a classic novel or play have bad ends or other such things. Juliet is another from a Shakespearean play who dies tragically but people are still giving their daughters that name!

Wintergreen

« Reply #18236 on: Yesterday at 03:44:17 PM »
Reading an article in Crime Library, I noticed one victim was a man named "Estelle".

I always thought that was a woman's name, unless like Ashleigh/Shannon/Lyndsey it's swapped from male to female recently.

It is. I have no explanation for why a man would be named Estelle.

Maybe it's a cultural thing? After all, gender of name may change depending of the language. Like in Finnish Robin and Kim are 99% male names (as in there are few female Robins and Kims, but only handful) , but I understand that in English they are quite common for both genders?

I found also few men named Estelle from around 1900. Maybe it has really done a gender swap or is still male name in some other cultures.

geekette

« Reply #18237 on: Today at 04:07:07 AM »
I work with a guy called 'Ibn'. The ironic part is that we're in IT, so it took all of five seconds for someone to point out he was a letter off from 'IBM', like the company.

(I really hope he doesn't see me posting this)