News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• February 08, 2016, 09:46:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NYC, here we come!  (Read 824 times)

Esther_bunny

• Life is too short for cheap chocolate!
NYC, here we come!
« on: September 11, 2015, 12:46:56 AM »
In November a coworker and possibly one of the owners and I are going to NYC for a DevaCurl class. (It's a special way to cut hair for people with curly hair.)

The class is 2 days long but we have decided to go a couple days early so we can run around. We (2 of us) are bringing our spouses as neither of them has been to NYC.

Earlier tonight DH and I made a dream list of things to see: Statue of Liberty, Ground Zero, Sparks Steakhouse, the Guggenheim- things like that.

Does anyone have any recommendations of interesting, perhaps off beat things to see or do?

I'll have all Sat/Sun to run around and then our respective DHs will have 2 days by themselves because we will be in class all day Mon/Tues and flying home on Wednesday.

If it helps any we are staying near Broome St close to Broadway and St. Patrick's cathedral. I know we can't possibly see everything in 1.5 days but I'm all about seeing non - touristy stuff.

I will be grateful for any suggestios. I wish that he and I could stay on a couple extra days  by ourselves but we have to get back for work. It is busy in our salon around the holidays so it's better to come back right after class. And when we leave I know holiday air traffic will be getting busier so that's ok.

Thank you!

gmatoy

Re: NYC, here we come!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 02:03:44 AM »
Since you are staying near St. Patrick's, you might want to go inside. It is really beautiful and they have a little gift shop. (Or they did the last time I was there.) Macy's is also fun to roam through. Carnegie Deli...huge portions. Take at least one subway ride. Central Park, maybe a ride in the horse drawn carriages. Be willing to give up some of the things you want to do, there is so much that this may be just a "teaser" with you wanting to go back.

I lived in Queens for 5 years, many years ago. I envy you this trip! Have fun!

Stricken_Halo

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 04:12:02 PM »
You ought to see a Broadway show. Full price tickets are expensive, especially with four people, but they sell half price tickets for most shows on the same day: https://www.tdf.org/nyc/7/TKTS-ticket-booths Lines are long, but they move quickly. There's also the Radio City Music Hall Christmas Show. They do tours, also. More great stuff at Lincoln Center.

You mentioned the Guggenheim. If you like modern art, the Whitney Museum of American Art has a new building in the meatpacking district, which is also near the High Line.

Stroll through the Union Square Greenmarket on a Monday, Wednesday, Friday, or Saturday morning. There will be lots of people shopping for Thanksgiving (I assume you'll be in NYC before Thanksgiving), but that's part of the fun.

juliechan

• miso ramen please!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 04:26:37 PM »
Katz's Delicatessen (205 E. Houston St.)! Most amazing sandwiches and matzo ball soup ever! Go hungry or share.
ay ay ay ay! Canta y no llores.
Porque cantando se alegran cielito lindo
los corazones.

:) <3 <3 :)

TootsNYC

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 04:29:33 PM »
When you get to the Sept. 11 memorial, look for NYC fire marshal Ronald Bucca's name on the south pool:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/09/11/the-flying-new-york-fireman-who-shined-on-9-11.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Paul_Bucca
Bucca's name is located on Panel S-14 of the National September 11 Memorialís South Pool, along with those of other first responders.

and wave to me in the tower behind you!

When people come to the NYC and I squire them around, I ask them to identify two things per day that they -really- want to see. And then I figure out other interesting stuff to look at either (a) in that area; or (b) on the way; or (c) both.

Pick up the Michelin Green Guide for NYC; they have organized the city in clusters, and you can find fun little extra things to look at, learn about, and do in whatever area your major sight takes you to.

The new version will be out on October 7.
http://www.amazon.com/Michelin-Green-Guide-York-City/dp/2067204262/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1442006840&sr=8-2&keywords=michelin+green+guide+new+york+city

Since you're coming for the first time, you should do a midtown loop that takes you through:

Times Square
Rockefeller Center
St. Patrick's Cathedral
NY Public Library (major marble inside! and the reading room) and the library lions
Grand Central Terminal (it's fun to get to see this at one of the rush hours, but not crucial)
gawking at the Chrysler Building
Tiffany & Co.
Plaza Hotel

And swing up to Central Park and see at least some of the bottom part of it.

bonyk

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 06:11:17 PM »
FYI, the Statue of Liberty will eat up a lot of time and, in my opinion, isn't much more amazing in person than it is in pictures.  I agree with the person up thread who recommended a Broadway show.

TootsNYC

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 09:56:24 PM »
FYI, the Statue of Liberty will eat up a lot of time and, in my opinion, isn't much more amazing in person than it is in pictures.  I agree with the person up thread who recommended a Broadway show.

One really inexpensive way to see the Statue is to take the Staten Island ferry. The security isn't as long, either.

TootsNYC

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 09:11:07 PM »
Here's what I put together the last time I had a relative visiting for a VERY short stay.

Tourism Clusters   (you can do a cluster in about half a day)

World Trade Center cluster
9/11 Museum   911memorial.org/tixandinfo
      Admission is free for all visitors on Tuesday evenings from 5 p.m. to close (8pm), with the last admission two hours prior to closing (6pm). Tickets are not available in advance and are distributed on a first-come, first-served basis at the Museum starting at 4 p.m.* *Distribution time subject to change.  (Talley Sue works so close, she could pick them up)
   TWO HOURS

9/11 Memorial
      admission is free.
      HALF HOUR

Wall Street / NY Stock Exchange
Fraunces Tavern
Battery Park  (20-min walk away)
Statue of Liberty
Zuccotti Park
Bowling Green
Trinity Church

Times Square /42nd Street East cluster
Times Square
Broadway theaters
Bryant Park
   NY Public Library, a/ reading room and library lions
Grand Central Station
Chrysler Building
United Nations

Times Square / Sixth & Fifth Avenues North Midtown cluster
Times Square
Broadway theaters
Rockefeller Center (buildings, including Radio City Music Hall, and plaza w/ skating rink)
St. Patrickís Cathedral
Tiffany & Co. (and other stores w/ famous names)
Plaza Hotel

Southern Corner of Central Park cluster
Russian Tea Room
Carnegie Hall
Tiffany & Co.
Plaza Hotel
Central Park
   (pond, zoo, carousel on the west, Conservatory model-boat pond, the Ramble)
Metropolitan Museum of Art / Cleopatraís Needle.
Delacorte Theater/Great Lawn

Greenwich Village cluster
Christopher Street / Sheridan Square
Stonewall Inn
Minetta Lane
Bleeker Street
Washington Square Park
NYU
The Strand (used-book store)
and a longish walk up to: Union Square (farmerís market on Wed.)

Partial list of things to see--pick about two per day; if you have two of them close together (RockCtr and TimesSq, eg), then pick a couple more.
central park
empire state building
statue of liberty
Rockefeller center
times square
metropolitan museum of art
ge building
museum of modern arn
grand central terminal
American museum of natural history
high line park
ellis island
Solomon r. Guggenheim museum
radio city music ahll
the cloisters
coney island
staten island ferry
Madison square garden
Bronx zoo
new york botanicl garden
st. patrickís cathedral
china town
Bryant park
Brooklyn bridge
frick collection
Chrysler building
Brooklyn botanic garden
Washington square park
battery park
prospect park (bklyn)
Central Park zoo
Carnegie hall
lower east side tenement museum
yankee stadium
new york harbor
ny transit museum
little italy
flatiron building
morgan library and museum
new york hall of science (qns)
queens museum
museum of the city of new york
statue of liberty national monument
Apollo theater
museum of the moving image (qns)
waldorf Astoria hotel
governorís ialnd
Webster hall
comedy cellar
metropolitan opera house
moma ps1
top of the rock observation desk
9/11 memorial
9/11 museum
Broadway
NY Public Library
st. paulís chapel
staten island ferry
museum al eldridge street (jewish history)
conservatory garden in central park
Roosevelt island aerial tram
Fifth Avenue (St. Patís, BergGoodman, etc.)
Intrepid Air Sea and Space Museum
Macyís Herald Square
Metropolitan Museum of Art
New York Historical Society
Roosevelt Island
South Street Seaport
United Nations
Whitney Museum of American Art
Washington Square Park
Brooklyn Heights and Promenade
Flushing Meadows-Corona Park
Chrysler Building
African Burial Ground National Monument (bet. Duane & Elk, lower manhattan)
City Hall
Fashion Institute of Technology Museum
Federal Hall
Federal Reserve Bank of New York

betty

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 10:07:28 AM »
TootNYC: Wow, that is an awesome list! I'm saving it for my next NYC trip.

betty

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 10:12:10 AM »
If you are going to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, buy your tickets ahead of time on the website. http://www.statuecruises.com/

Last time I was there, I bought tickets using my phone as we were walking over. Instead of waiting on the ticket line, we walked right up to will-call. Bonus: we had a shorter security line. Probably saved over an hour.

TootsNYC

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 02:25:37 PM »
Oh, yeah, I'm *SO* glad someone suggested that for the Statue. It's phenomenally faster. I did it once, and it was amazing! Big long line to buy tickets; absolutely nobody in the "already ticketed" line. I didn't even have to go to "will call"; I printed mine out at home, and we walked straight up to security.

Also, if you can get up and out early, go to the Statue early--all the other tourists won't be there yet. And I'd suggest just the Statue, if time is tight. Or, maybe see the statue from the boat, and then get off at Ellis.

My other "NY Harbor" thought: If you can at all get out on the water, DO!

Then look around and imagine what that huge sheltered harbor must have looked like to the folks just settling from Europe with their sailing ships and use of natural resources. Imagine the buildings not there, and hills with trees as far as you can see. And imagine that huge landmass looming to the west and north, with all its natural resources to ship back to poor depleted Europe (lumber, furs, animals to hunt and trap, land to grow crops on...) just a short, direct oceans-breadth away.

And see why the city became the mega-city that it did. See how shipping mattered so much. It's fascinating. (Plus it's cool to see the city from the water--see if you can get the Barney Miller view.)

songbird

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 04:00:57 PM »
Buy your tickets for the WTC  9/11 museum on line too.

Carnegie Deli is still closed, I think.  Little problem with the gas meter, I believe, that required a remodeling on the location.  They should be reopening soon, I heard.

Broome  Street is in the Village, the Cathedral is by Rockefeller Center, so I'm not sure where you're staying. 

Toots made a very thorough list.  Research all the suggestions and narrow down your choices.

TootsNYC

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 04:25:58 PM »
Oh, the other thing I tell people: What says "New York City" to you?

For my mom, it was the Plaza Hotel (bcs of a Neil Simon play and Eloise).
For my aunt, it was the Statue of Liberty (bcs she loved the poem).
For me, it was the skating rink at Rockefeller Center (bcs of a Charlie Brown movie).
For my niece, it was the little stores in SoHo (bcs she reads Lucky).
For my 2nd cousin, it was the bridge by Grand Central (bcs of the Avengers).

It'll be different for everybody. It might be something that seems stereotypical, but that's OK. It's just that this is the first thing, or the most powerful thing, that you think of when you think of NYC.

Peg everything else off of that.