News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 24, 2017, 07:49:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The 'I Accomplished Something Today!' Thread  (Read 167680 times)

Outdoor Girl

Re: The 'I Accomplished Something Today!' Thread
« Reply #1890 on: January 08, 2017, 03:17:42 PM »
Dad is feeling pretty good, I think.  We got about 6 inches of snow last night and he insisted on helping with the shovelling.  So I let him push snow to the side but didn't allow him to actually lift it up and over the bank.  DF did most of the shovelling and I did the snow blowing.  And Dad was smart enough to call it quits when his hands got cold.  It is well below freezing here, about -13 C, so it's not surprising that he got cold.

A total of 5 loads of laundry done.  Dad and DF helped me fold - they put stuff rightsize out and flattened things and I did the folding.  DF emptied the dishwasher that I ran earlier and mostly reloaded it though I had to rearrange things a little.   :D  Only things left are to make our bed and to make dinner.  That may be it.  We might start on the tree...
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #1891 on: January 08, 2017, 03:29:45 PM »
Not much *done* today - but I just spent about two hours going through the house with a contractor to get quotes for various repairs/remodeling in two upstairs bathrooms (replace tile, repair water damge, rip out faux marble panels that are warping & tile the tub surround, possibly some faucets repair or replacement, and retexture the walls & prep for painting), one upstairs bedroom (ceiling & wall had water damage from a water heater going out in June 2016), the upstairs "hall" (same water damage), downstairs ceiling damage in three or four rooms (office & laundry room need oil based primer to cover the minor damage), kitchen & living room need rather more (ceiling in both, crack in wall by a window and cut out some sheetrock over the fireplace & replace it).  Painting of ceilings after repairs and prep work for walls for other rooms - redecorating involved, so colors have not been picked out.  New furniture comes before new paint colors.

And a timeline of two weeks since we have company on getting things fixed - redecorating may wait....old curtains can be washed & rehung until the new colors can be worked out.  I tire of antique white walls, beige carpet, off white trim, and beige or white tile.  I want something a little less like being in an ivory box....

Although replacing the painted wooden mantel with stacked stone is an exception - I can paint the walls to make a white stacked stone fireplace *pop*!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

andi

« Reply #1892 on: January 08, 2017, 07:43:17 PM »
2 loads of laundry
Pancakes for breakfast
Dishwasher loaded
Showered, make up and dressed my 10:30
Car packed and on the road by 10:45
2 hour trip to town for hockey game (there an hour early then hour and a half for game)
Lunch on way home
2 hour trip home
Filled up with gas so don't have to in way to work
Popped into grocery store for this week's lunch stuff

Chez Miriam

« Reply #1893 on: January 09, 2017, 11:30:37 AM »
Outdoor Girl: hope your dad is settling in OK. :)

Yesterday, but it still counts (I hope): we sawed up the last pile of non-oak logs, and stacked about a third of them to dry before 'bad light stops play'.  We're burning our own logs now, and only for the cost of a couple of mixes of 2-stroke. :)
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #1894 on: January 10, 2017, 10:22:15 AM »
Yesterday, Dad and I got the tree down and all the Christmas decorations packed away and the bins put in the crawl space.  We did a run to town to pick up a few things we needed.

This morning, we made turkey soup and we're going to go out and move some snow.  I have to go into work for a bit and I have an eye appointment, which I really need to keep.  I'm causing myself significant upper back pain, looking over my glasses.  I desperately need bifocals or progressives...

Tomorrow, we have the lifeline guy coming in the afternoon.  DF is also taking the day off so hopefully, we can get a bunch of stuff packed into the crawl space and get this place tidied up a bit.  And get Dad's living room set up.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Chez Miriam

« Reply #1895 on: January 12, 2017, 09:00:25 AM »
Baby steps, baby steps...  But: I did ten minutes stretching today [trying to loosen up my hips before they start causing problems again].  I'm telling myself that I should start gently, and that I can give myself two pats on the back (for doing some stretch, and for not over-doing it).

Now all I have to do is get it back into my routine [and then I'll no longer notice I'm doing it].
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #1896 on: January 13, 2017, 08:00:20 PM »
It has been a busy week!

Today, in reverse chronological order, I've done two loads of laundry - one in the dryer, the hang to dry load in the washer.  I made supper - meatloaf, scalloped potatoes from a package, beets and brussel sprouts.  I loaded the dishwasher.  I'll start it just before we head to bed.  Sorted through the box of towels and bedding for rags/donating and put aside what I wanted to keep and packed the rest to donate.  Showed the PSW around so she knows where to find Dad when I'm not here next week.  I cleaned out a container in which Coke ate through the can and made a huge mess.  I had to throw everything out since it was mouldy.  Made lunch for Dad and I.  Got the living room of Dad's apartment emptied of everything but furniture.  Unpacked the dishwasher and repacked it, tidied up some papers.

Yesterday, I made dinner - just Hamburger Helper and some green beans and got the crawl space organized and a bunch of stuff put into it - all the Christmas stuff, the bulbs to plant next spring, the camping gear.  Dad helped a bit.  We went to the post office and got Dad's mail forwarded to my place.  Cleaned up the kitchen.

Wednesday, we made pea soup and did a few other things.  I don't remember now.

Dad's doing OK; he's a little overwhelmed with all the changes in the last week and had a few close to tears moments but I think I have him convinced that we want him here and we're going to work to get him better.  He's feeling like he's a burden or a 'nuisance' as he puts it; I told him that we want him here - he wouldn't be here, otherwise.  I hope it worked.
Ontario

Bijou

« Reply #1897 on: January 14, 2017, 01:47:27 PM »
I cleaned the exterior of my stove.  I will never, ever, ever get a stove with an oven window again!  Talk about disgusting, and we hardly ever use the oven.  I swear there are cobwebs inside!  I called once and asked the company...not the dealer...the company...how to remove the window for cleaning.  The guy told me to "Hang a dish towel on the handle over the window" because it isn't possible to clean the inside of that double window.   >:(
It's also stainless steel...what a joke!  Give me a plain white old range any day!
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

cicero

« Reply #1898 on: January 15, 2017, 06:02:19 PM »
Went hiking with my hiking club! Not too strenuous, more like a brisk walk in a country road, but I haven't been hiking or done real exercise since I broke my arm so I was so happy to get out there.

(

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

turtleIScream

« Reply #1899 on: January 18, 2017, 04:58:25 PM »
Transported my lovely 42" rear projection TV to the electronic recycling barn. So glad to get that thing out of my house.

Finished a "quilt"! (It's not technically a quilt because I have minimal sewing skills, but it has fabric pieces stitched together in a pattern.)

Ordered a cake for my best friend's birthday.

Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

cicero

« Reply #1900 on: January 22, 2017, 04:00:29 PM »
Cleaned my house! Ok, maybe not a huge deal but since I broke my arm about two months ago, I haven't really done more than surface cleaning. Today I deep  cleaned the bathroom, threw out a lot of trash and recyclables, cleaned out the freezer, and washed the kitchen floor.

Then I made lunch for tomorrow and I'm good

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

snowfire

« Reply #1901 on: Yesterday at 05:57:44 PM »
DH & I ran the snowblower over 6 driveways & shoveled the walks. Really icy under the snow. Fell once, even with my ice cleats on.  >:( Then, we took my car to the quick DIY car wash since it had been used for target practice by many large birds. (Pterodactyls?  :o ) Didn't want it to eat the paint & it is just above freezing today, dropping like a rock for the rest of the week.

Also got about 10 items listed up on ebay & polished two antique end tables we brought over from MIL's house.