News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• June 27, 2016, 10:45:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O PD Student Darwinism  (Read 509792 times)

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
Re: S/O PD Student Darwinism
« Reply #2265 on: June 05, 2016, 06:11:25 AM »
This could turn out to be SD if she takes it further.

I was team leader for my group this semester for a class. We had two assignments. We made a team of six (we're quite a large group of friends so ended up being split into 5 different groups) including a couple of people new-ish to the friend group. Then in week 2, an acquaintance turned up to class without a group, and as we had a vacancy (groups of max 7 students), we allowed her to join our group, although having worked with her before, we didn't want her. It just felt wrong to tell her to go find some other group.

For assignment one, I asked for everyone's parts a week before it was due, because I needed to do a full proof-read and integrate it all together. She sent me her stuff the day before and seemed very put-out that I wanted it earlier. She kept lying and saying she'd email it to me later in the day (I messaged her once a day) until I called her out on lying and she said she'd finish it and email it. Anyway, part of it was plagiarized (I ran it through grammarly.com) so I had to delete those parts and fix it up. We scored 90% on that. I never bothered calling her out on her poor work because she gets defensive and doesn't take criticism well.

Assignment two was due this past Friday. She kept sending her work-in-progress all week and I had no idea if she was going to finish it. I ended up doing a bunch of work myself. It ended up being not a great report but probably worth 70-80%. It just wasn't possible for me to do all her work myself plus my work so while everything was included, and the quality represented our effort, it just wasn't amazing. She never ended up sending some stuff she said she'd do. Anyway, I sent out a copy to everyone today just to have a finished copy - the stuff in the report isn't in the exam. She emailed five minutes later and asked why some of her stuff wasn't included. Well, she'd sent me half-done stuff, but so had someone else a week earlier. So I'd spent my time finishing the other guy's work and didn't need hers. Then she asked about all these other parts. Stuff she hadn't worked on, things she didn't include in her part that I added. She seems pretty mad about the mediocre quality of the report - as I said, it reflects the group's overall effort, and it's much better than her effort. She actually wrote "I don't really care unless it affects my marks." What??

Anyway, I replied to her first email, but given that she never replied to a lot of my emails and messages, I'm done. I'm considering emailing the teacher to let him know she's bothering me, and tell him I have evidence of how little work she did, in case she tries to take it further. She's exactly the sort of person who does little work, then gets mad that you didn't praise them for their amazing effort, and spends more time and effort afterwards trying to get their mark improved/complaining about others. If she spent this time and effort actually working last week, we wouldn't have this problem. :-\

Meanwhile, I'm enrolled in an extra class for next semester. I'm pretty sure I'm going to drop a particular one, and she really wants to take it. For a friend, I would drop the class and give her my spot, because I don't really care whether I take it - my other classes are more aligned to my specialization, although I could drop one of them if I want. But for someone who has been useless and rude, well, she can wait to see if someone else drops it. I've decided to go to the first week of all my classes and pick one to drop after that.

Take the original message that she sent you with the plagiarized material to the professor.  "Professor, I realized that Darwin plagiarized much of the material she sent me for this previous report.  I didn't actually use very much of her contribution when I submitted the final project, so hopefully none of the plagiarism ended up in our group's report."

I truly wish I'd done that when my best friend (at the time) pulled the same thing on me in high school.

sarahj21

« Reply #2266 on: June 05, 2016, 09:26:19 AM »
Take the original message that she sent you with the plagiarized material to the professor.  "Professor, I realized that Darwin plagiarized much of the material she sent me for this previous report.  I didn't actually use very much of her contribution when I submitted the final project, so hopefully none of the plagiarism ended up in our group's report."

I wasn't really worried about that part because she gave me enough to work with and had just sort of copied and pasted in a couple of paragraphs randomly, but I do have all her work archived in my email. Actually it was just two short paragraphs that she randomly inserted - my guess is that she copied them over to keep them handy for when she worked (so she didn't have to open her references every time) and forgot to delete them. But still, if I had blindly added her section, the results would not have been good. I hadn't considered emailing about this, just the personal attack/passive aggressive stuff from today, but both together make her sound worse, so I'll keep that in mind if I need to send that email. :)

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #2267 on: June 05, 2016, 04:50:46 PM »

I wasn't really worried about that part because she gave me enough to work with and had just sort of copied and pasted in a couple of paragraphs randomly, but I do have all her work archived in my email. Actually it was just two short paragraphs that she randomly inserted - my guess is that she copied them over to keep them handy for when she worked (so she didn't have to open her references every time) and forgot to delete them. But still, if I had blindly added her section, the results would not have been good. I hadn't considered emailing about this, just the personal attack/passive aggressive stuff from today, but both together make her sound worse, so I'll keep that in mind if I need to send that email. :)

Personally, I wouldn't worry about making her look bad or not. I'd worry about accidentally including something from a known plagiarist. Do you have any more group projects this semester? What if she gets so disorganized that you run out of time to double-check her thoroughly enough?

I would consider it the team leader's duty to push back on plagiarism in a group project, either by calling out the perpetrator and sending it back to be re-done, or by reporting it. That's not "poor work." That's a serious breach of academic integrity. Does your school have an honor code? At my college (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth), knowingly protecting someone from the consequences of a violation, was itself a violation of the code.

sarahj21

« Reply #2268 on: June 06, 2016, 06:22:47 AM »
I would consider it the team leader's duty to push back on plagiarism in a group project, either by calling out the perpetrator and sending it back to be re-done, or by reporting it. That's not "poor work." That's a serious breach of academic integrity. Does your school have an honor code? At my college (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth), knowingly protecting someone from the consequences of a violation, was itself a violation of the code.

I did originally ask her to redo some of it because it "sounded a bit complicated" - this girl was my first friend at university and I've seen her work hard on a lot of stuff. I just found out today that she'd contacted the lecturer to complain that I left her work out of the report. The half-done work she emailed me the night before it was due (she probably left that part out, because I heard this from a friend she was complaining to; sadly for her, I'd already spoken to that friend). So I'm going to write a very interesting email to the lecturer, including only the facts, just like this wonderful forum has taught me. :)

PlainJane

« Reply #2269 on: June 07, 2016, 10:14:11 AM »

I did originally ask her to redo some of it because it "sounded a bit complicated" - this girl was my first friend at university and I've seen her work hard on a lot of stuff. I just found out today that she'd contacted the lecturer to complain that I left her work out of the report. The half-done work she emailed me the night before it was due (she probably left that part out, because I heard this from a friend she was complaining to; sadly for her, I'd already spoken to that friend). So I'm going to write a very interesting email to the lecturer, including only the facts, just like this wonderful forum has taught me. :)
...and then update this thread with any updates
(I'm sure you learned that here, as well  ;) )