News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 05, 2016, 08:13:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dewey's Read-a-thon - 2016  (Read 763 times)

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
Dewey's Read-a-thon - 2016
« on: April 21, 2016, 08:47:21 AM »
This Saturday marks the date of Dewey's 24-Hour Readathon (http://www.24hourreadathon.com/). I'll be playing along for the 11th time - it's always lots of fun :) I usually get somewhere between 900-1200 pages read over the duration of the 24 hours. I've never pulled an all-nighter though - I'm far too old for that... stuff ;)

Anybody else joining? Let me know where I can go to cheer you on :)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

jpcher

Re: Dewey's Read-a-thon - 2016
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 04:49:27 PM »
Would you please describe this in layman's terms? I've skimmed through the link you supplied, but don't really understand the process.

A summary of why you enjoy it and what about it made you do it for the past 6 years (it's held twice a year, right?) would be greatly appreciated. Maybe share some highlights from your experiences. What are the rules, etc.?

Just looking at the web site makes me think "Huh? What's the point?"

This is not meant to be snarky at all.  . . . Please, talk me into it! ;D

Thipu1

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 05:24:14 PM »
Thanks, jpcher for saying what has been puzzling me all day about this thread.

What is the point of the Readathon?  I've read through the link but, without more information about what makes it fun, the Readathon almost seems like the literary equivalent of competitive eating contests.

I certainly love reading but, in my experience, reading is something best enjoyed at leisure. It's a activity to be savored rather than devoured. 

When my Grandmother didn't understand things that we kids loved she'd say, 'Something must have been left out of me'.

I'm in Grandma's camp about the Readathon.

MariaE

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 05:33:38 PM »
No snark perceived at all, and I'm sorry! I'm so used to all my friends and family knowing about this, that I forget the website is... well, less than clear ;)

I think I'd compare it to NaNoWriMo, in that it takes an otherwise solitary act (in this case reading) and turns it into a social activity. Basically, it's an excuse to rip 24 hours out of your calendar, and spend them with a (or several) good books. There's a huge online community around it, offering encouragment, cheering and fun challanges (write a book title poem, solve or create book riddles, play book jenga - silly stuff like that :) ), which turns it into a huge social event... still in the comforts of your own home. The readathon runs for 24 hours, but you can join in for as many or as few of those as you'd like. The goal is just to read books, and feel part of a global community while doing it. Again, a bit like NaNoWriMo. People can dedicate any month to writing, so why pick November? For many, it's in order to feel part of something bigger - if that makes any sense at all?

I wouldn't recommend it to anybody who didn't already read a fair bit, but to bookworms like myself, it's great fun :)

I've actually participated for more than 6 years - I've had to skip a few due to vacations and illness, so I think my first time was in 2009. The first several years I did it on my own - enjoyed dedicating an entire day to reading, updated my blog and facebook with my progress, and cheered on my friends who were also participating. It was a legitimate excuse to turn down other invitations to sit and read (I know you can always do that, but this time I could actually tell people that was what I was doing, as it was an actual prior engagement ;) ). It was also a way to challenge myself, and see if I could get more pages read than last time.

The last three times, however, I've been joined by my mother and sisters, which has increased my enjoyment of it so much more than I expected. They'd kept up with my blog progress reports, and thought the idea of taking a day to just READ sounded like pure bliss, so they wanted to join me! After I moved and got my own library they finally could :) So on Saturday, my mum, 3 sisters, one SIL and one niece will all come, bearing books and snacks, to sit and read with me for anywhere from 5-10 hours, depending on how long they last (the starting time is 2pm here in Denmark). While we don't talk much for obvious reasons, we get to share books, and enjoy each others' company doing something we all love :) This is something I literally look forward to for months ahead of time, and when it gets to be this close, I'm so excited, I can hardly stand it! My husband laughs at me, which I think is well deserved ;)

I got longwinded... I don't know if any of this made it any clearer? Or I might just have rambled on for 5 paragraphs saying nothing really ;) My progress reports from most earlier years are up at http://abookgeek.blogspot.com - I'll be posting the one for this year there as well. That might do more to explain my enthusiasm about this event than tired, post-midnight ravings. But thank you for asking! I don't know if I managed to talk you into it, but I was glad to be given the chance :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 05:41:09 PM by MariaE »

lilfox

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 05:40:02 PM »
  I hadn't heard of this at all, but then I only heard about NaNoWriMo from this site.  The social part sounds like fun, having a binge-reading night.  24 hours is far too ambitious for me though!  The last time I binge-read anything was Harry Potter book 8 (and before that, 7, and 6, and so on), and that did take the better part of a day and into the night...

MariaE

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 05:43:09 PM »
I've never managed to read more than about 14 hours or so, spread out over the 24, and my sisters will do about half that. There's absolutely no pressure to last for all 24.

But yes, the binge-reading part was a huge selling point to me, too :)

Giraffe, Esq

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 04:54:23 PM »
I've never even heard of this!  How have I never heard of this?!?!

I didn't see your post until now (nearly 6pm EST on Saturday and it looks like it started at 8 am EST?), and I've got stuff I have to get done today, so I don't think I'll be participating this time, but I'm going to keep an eye out for October! 

...and apparently I'll have to start a blog and revive my twitter to join in on the fun.   ;)

malfoyfan13

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 06:44:11 PM »
Sounds like fun, but my eyes won't permit that much reading in one session anymore.  :-(  30 years ago I'd be all over it.  I wish you well!

MariaE

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 11:52:06 PM »

I didn't see your post until now (nearly 6pm EST on Saturday and it looks like it started at 8 am EST?), and I've got stuff I have to get done today, so I don't think I'll be participating this time, but I'm going to keep an eye out for October! 

...and apparently I'll have to start a blog and revive my twitter to join in on the fun.   ;)

Giraffe, next readathon is October 22nd 8am EST. I hope you'll join us :) It's a ton of fun! I'm kiwiria on twitter - look me up and I'll come cheer you on :)

Giraffe, Esq

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 11:20:18 AM »

Giraffe, next readathon is October 22nd 8am EST. I hope you'll join us :) It's a ton of fun! I'm kiwiria on twitter - look me up and I'll come cheer you on :)

Oooh, good to know!  I can put it in my calendar now so that nothing gets scheduled over it.  :)  AND!  I have an annual conference I go to in October that, sorry, totally trumps this.  I was concerned they'd overlap, but nope!  Different weekends for the win!

MariaE

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 02:00:01 PM »

Oooh, good to know!  I can put it in my calendar now so that nothing gets scheduled over it.  :)  AND!  I have an annual conference I go to in October that, sorry, totally trumps this.  I was concerned they'd overlap, but nope!  Different weekends for the win!

Haha! No need to apologize! I have a few things that trump it as well. Until recently the October readathon very often coincided with my Mum's birthday. Fortunately now she's hooked as well, so the last few years, she's moved her party to a different day ;)