News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here:   

• October 28, 2016, 01:56:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Questions about wet cell phones  (Read 376 times)

Questions about wet cell phones
« on: October 20, 2016, 05:24:45 PM »
Short version: When a phone gets wet and fizzles out, then the extended-life-battery (ELB) is exchanged with the original battery and the phone works again, the ELB should not be reinserted because it might muck up the works. One should purchase a new ELB and toss the old one. True or False?

There are additional questions at the end of this post, you can skip the long version if you'd like.

Long version: DD#1 dropped her phone in the toilet last Friday ::) (it was in the back pocket of her jeans and it fell out when she stood up). She quickly retrieved it (eww! ;)), turned it off and held it under a hand drier for a few minutes. Went to classes for a few hours and turned it back on when she got to the train station because her tickets are on an app on her phone. It fizzled. Black screen and a bit of staticy noises.

When she got home, she put the phone in a container of rice. She's done this before with a wet phone (not toilet/pee wet) and it worked, the next day the phone was fine. But this time, the next day (Saturday), the phone still wasn't working.

Talk about purchasing a new phone ensued. She would go to the Verizon store on Sunday and ask about options . . . Insurance coverage, cost of replacement instead of brandy new, etc. (which brings up question #5) . . . but this was going to take time away from her studies. Sigh.

Sunday, before going into the store, she thought that she needed to have a working battery in the phone so that they could transfer her data so she replaced the battery that was in her phone with her original battery. And guess what!? The phone is still working almost a week later? ;D Phew!

My questions:

1. The short version -- True or False? Please explain. (Thanks! ;D)

2. When a phone gets wet should the first thing you do be remove the battery?

3. Does holding a phone under a bathroom hand drier (or hair drier) harm or help the process?

4. Do you have any other tips/pointers for what to do when a phone gets wet?

5. Side question -- What's the difference between a Samsung 4 and Samsung 7. Is it worth the upgrade?

Re: Questions about wet cell phones
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 06:39:24 PM »
The Samsung S7 is water resistant  ;D

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 08:10:00 PM »
The Samsung S7 is water resistant  ;D

Yeah but doesn't it also burst into flames?

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 08:33:42 PM »
Samsung Galaxy S7 NOTE has problems with the battery bursting into flames.

The Samsung Galaxy S7 (I have one) and the EDGE do not have this problem (at least, I've never heard of the other two models burning).  There may also be a model called the Active (?) that turns up when I looked for a new case for my S7 (what can I say - I wanted to "dress it up" - and the one on it now has a flip stand and holds an ID card in a "pocket" on the back - handy when for going for a walk when you don't want to carry a purse). 

I have also been told that the "bead packets" from a new purse or other item's package (or several of them) can work better than rice to absorb moisture from electronics - as they don't get sticky when wet, like rice can.  I tend to save them to stick in my sewing room with needles, buttons, and other things that degrade with exposure to excess moisture.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 09:00:51 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Lady Tempest

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 08:49:03 PM »
I can't answer the first four questions, but as to question five:

The Samsung Galaxy S7 does not have a removeable battery, unlike the S4. It was the one concern I had about upgrading.  It has twice the onboard memory (32GB vs 16GB) which is a good thing because the OS takes up a lot of room.  And yes, the S7 is water resistant for up to 30 minutes I believe.  It's also the only one of the three that did not have overheating issues.  The other issue the S7 has sometimes is the earpiece speaker doesn't work.  I had to trade mine back for that issue but got a new one.  So far, I have been very happy with mine.  I've had it since the beginning of September.

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 03:50:26 AM »
If a phone gets wet. ( I too have teenagers)
Step one, remove battery if possible.
Step two, dry all visible dampness.
Step three, pop the phone and battery, in a container or bag with as many of those desiccated bags as possible.
Step four, wait a week.
I don't know if the week is strictly necessary, but it teaches the teenager a lesson.
Reassemble and hope.
It works surprisingly often.
I forgot to answer your question.
The battery is now toast, she used it wet.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 03:52:52 AM by lilihob »

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 04:54:13 AM »
I work for a company that fixes phones, tablets and other electronic goods. To answer your questions
1. Probably true. The battery has already been compromised by the water so best not to test it.
2. If you can easily remove the battery do so. It can't hurt plus you should be able to see if there is any visible damage. If the battery starts to swell or heat up cover it in sand and put in an air-tight container. A visibly damaged battery can be very dangerous. I should know as I ended on worker's comp after my co worker accidentally pierced a battery. I don't recommend it.
3. Avoid hand or hair dryers. The heat can cause serious damage to an already compromised battery. See above. Plus the heat can encourage corrosion to develop faster.
4. Rice or absorption packs are the best idea, for as long as possible.

As for the difference between the s4 and s7? I had an s4 and have just recently upgraded to the s7. I don't like the fact the battery can't be easily removed, but it is an improvement on the s6 which didn't have expandable memory. I currently have a 64Gb micro-SD in my phone.

Yes it is considered water proof, although I won't be testing that out. I know my phone will be safe if I am walking in the rain or if it gets some small splashes from a drink.

The battery does last longer too compared to the s4. And I am using it more each day whereas with my last phone I had to hold off at the end of the day to make it last until I could get home. I used to get home with 20% or less, but now it's around 50%. I really do love my s7.

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 05:09:08 AM »
I don't have the answers to your questions.

But, i also droppd my phone in the toilet (ewww) - i immediately pulled it out and frantically wiped it. It was working fine. Turns out that my phone (cheapie motorola phone, not an awesome samsung) is waterproof.

However, the camera/flashlight stopped working. I  tried every which way to get them to work (uninstalled, reinstalled, etc) and after googling discovered that the camera is not waterproof. I tried a few more times but gave up.

Funny part is that about a week ago, about 2 months after the toilet dunk, i accidentally turned on the flashlight and it worked. so i tried the camera and it worked!

Created by - Free Weight Loss Tools