News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• April 01, 2015, 02:44:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74  (Read 1644607 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Professional Darwinism: Update to OP on p.74
« Reply #7500 on: Yesterday at 10:48:59 AM »
Wow. This woman has some bravado.

One of our staff members has started coming in late, and then putting her feet on her desk to apply lotion to her legs. Yeah.

LadyDyani

« Reply #7501 on: Yesterday at 10:59:27 AM »
Wow. This woman has some bravado.

One of our staff members has started coming in late, and then putting her feet on her desk to apply lotion to her legs. Yeah.

I am fully on board with applying lotion to your hands while at your desk. Any other body part, please close your office door, or go apply your lotion in the bathroom.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

Shalamar

« Reply #7502 on: Yesterday at 11:12:48 AM »
I was looking for someone to paint a couple of rooms in my house recently, and I sent some messages to folks who were advertising their painting businesses on Kijiji.  We had all of our carpet replaced last year, so keeping it nice is a huge deal for me.  Because of that, I thought it would be a good idea to try to find a painter who's insured, and I asked each person to whom I sent a message "Are you insured?".  I got back various "Yes" and "No, but very experienced" replies - all except for one guy, who suspiciously asked "Why do you want to know?"   Consider yourself not hired, my friend.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #7503 on: Yesterday at 12:28:16 PM »
4) Don't submit a generic cover letter that's 2 paragraphs long, to a government legal agency, that you obviously haven't updated in 2 years as you're listing yourself as still in law school despite graduating last year. Also, your generic reference of athleticism in college tells us nothing about your ability to do what we need you to do (other than you lack sound judgment and are lazy on your ability to update and tailor your cover letter).

5) Don't generically claim on your cover letter that you're a "good fit for our firm" and then proceed to describe the areas of law you focused on in law school. Bonus points when none of those areas of practice are involved in what we do.

When I worked for a government agency, I stopped being surprised a the number of people who submitted a resumé without tailoring it to a government agency. They talked about how they could be an asset to "your firm" or "your company." Unless it's the CIA, referring to a government agency as a "company" doesn't work. Bonus points for telling us that you are sure you can help us increase profits. Last time I checked, taxpayers were not enamored of government agencies increasing profits. 

I won't even get into how many sent out letters looking for employment with our agency without having checked into how we hired--a very strict civil service system that required almost everyone to first take a civil service exam, and then go through a formal interview process. The would send a generic cover letter to our "company" suggesting that they could meet with us any time to discuss why we might want to hire them. (Asking for a chance to discuss career opportunities within civil service was appropriate.) If you haven't figured out that government agencies operate differently than private industry, then you probably aren't the best fit for us.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #7504 on: Today at 01:08:30 AM »
Some people do that on purpose actually, as they need to do a certain number of applications a week/month or they don't get unemployment benefits. It doesn't matter if they're not suited to the job, they just need to apply.