Author Topic: DECLUTTERING  (Read 38499 times)

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
Re: DECLUTTERING
« Reply #120 on: August 31, 2013, 09:44:39 AM »
I have mentioned this closet trick before, but it has helped me and my DD, so maybe it will help you for those clothes that you cannot decide to keep or not.

Each season ( only two here-hot season/not so hot season) I take all my hang-up clothes and hang them with the point of the hanger facing me, so that I have to lift and push out to take the hanger off the rod. 

Once I wear an item, it gets re-hung the normal way hangers are hung. 

At the end of the season, some clothes are still hanger point out.  That means never worn.  So, I pull those out, and decide, why?  Color, fit, style, wrong weather, repairs, etc... 

I shop almost exclusively secondhand.   Lots in, but lots out!

How they are arranged-

back wall of closet--dresses, semi-sorted by sleeveless or not, and casual or work or church.

Long side wall of closet-

hang-up shirts and blouses,arranged by color      tank tops/camis
_______
I           I                           lower hanging bar to hold a
I           I                            few dress pants and lots of skirts                                                                                             
I           I     
I           I
    <--(metal and wood shelf that holds workout clothes/home only clothes) 

Instead of a chest of drawers, I have an open storage shelf for t-shirts and jeans and non-hang-up shirts. No need to sort through a drawer, I can see it right away!

Once you set up YOUR system, one that you can live with and use and keep settled, it is kind of fun!

Now...about that shredding...
(my kids outgrew the novelty a few years ago)  (Maybe I should hire out some young kids to shred!)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 09:55:33 AM by RegionMom »
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

faithlessone

« Reply #121 on: August 31, 2013, 09:57:04 AM »
Ooh, that sounds like a brilliant idea, RegionMom!

I need to have a go through my closet some time soon. I'm certain I could get rid of a few things I haven't worn in years.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #122 on: August 31, 2013, 11:33:33 AM »
I have mentioned this closet trick before, but it has helped me and my DD, so maybe it will help you for those clothes that you cannot decide to keep or not.

Each season ( only two here-hot season/not so hot season) I take all my hang-up clothes and hang them with the point of the hanger facing me, so that I have to lift and push out to take the hanger off the rod. 

Once I wear an item, it gets re-hung the normal way hangers are hung. 

At the end of the season, some clothes are still hanger point out.  That means never worn.  So, I pull those out, and decide, why?  Color, fit, style, wrong weather, repairs, etc... 

I shop almost exclusively secondhand.   Lots in, but lots out!

How they are arranged-

back wall of closet--dresses, semi-sorted by sleeveless or not, and casual or work or church.

Long side wall of closet-

hang-up shirts and blouses,arranged by color      tank tops/camis
_______
I           I                           lower hanging bar to hold a
I           I                            few dress pants and lots of skirts                                                                                             
I           I     
I           I
    <--(metal and wood shelf that holds workout clothes/home only clothes) 

Instead of a chest of drawers, I have an open storage shelf for t-shirts and jeans and non-hang-up shirts. No need to sort through a drawer, I can see it right away!

Once you set up YOUR system, one that you can live with and use and keep settled, it is kind of fun!

Now...about that shredding...
(my kids outgrew the novelty a few years ago)  (Maybe I should hire out some young kids to shred!)

I've heard about this as well, but I know I have some OCD tendencies, and not having all my hangers facing the same would would make me twitchy. but as I said upthread, I try and go through my closet a couple times a year, and if something was kept, but not worn that season, I'm pretty good about letting it go.

Now, if i could just curb my pj habit. I have, no lie, 50+ pairs of pj bottoms. in my defense, or perhaps just rationalizing, I come home, and put those on, if I'm not going anywhere, and no one is coming over. I also like clean jammies every couple of days. But even so, I keep buying. I like certain brands, styles, and fabrics, and when I find them, usually at Macys, for next to nothing, I can't resist.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #123 on: August 31, 2013, 02:44:12 PM »
Closet cleaning DONE! Had to come back and share. :) First of all, my wardrobe is 90% tops and only 10% bottoms. I have trouble finding bottoms I like. Even so I got rid of a couple bottoms that were quite worn or that I otherwise always bypass when I'm choosing clothes. I did order some new ones, but I considered that acceptable since I'd been putting it off and could use more.

Then I went through the tops. Three piles: sweaters, hoodies, long-sleeved t-shirts. I don't have a varied wardrobe. When I find something I like, I keep buying it. (Same with pajamas, siamesecat2965! I have way too many but they're so comfy...) I went through each pile and divided the items into smaller piles by color, so I had a better sense of what I had. In many cases it was easier to decide to get rid of stuff than I thought--I would uncover something and immediately think, "Oh, I love this! I want to wear this soon." And then other things, there would be this sort of awkward silence. "Oh. Hi. So, you're still here, huh?" Once I picked up something and thought, "You know, no one NEEDS a pink sweater." Like I could say, I should keep the black and the navy blue and the red, because those are kind of staples, but... I don't need THIS pink sweater.

I found that I have two almost identical long-sleeved t-shirts. They both have the same collage-type pattern on them, but one is a slightly different color, and they have two different manufacturers. So, no wonder I was fooled into buying both, I like the pattern and bought them at two different places, so I didn't remember I already had one like it. But there you go, that's how disorganized my wardrobe was.  :P

Anyway, I filled five and a half bags with clothes to donate, plus a bag to trash, plus a bag of tote bags to donate. It's hard for me to imagine how they all fit in my closet before. I repacked the two Rubbermaid containers with stuff I really wanted to keep--some of it is seasonal stuff I'll be getting out pretty soon. I went through my drawers, too, and donated/threw out stuff. And, in my underwear drawer, I found $370 cash! I'm such a squirrel.  ::) That will take the bite out of buying the new, necessary clothes I realized I needed, once I'd cleared away all the unneeded stuff. Apparently I've been recycling the same few bras over and over again, and just thought I had a lot but mostly they were the wrong size.  ::)

So, victory is mine.  8)
~Lynn2000

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #124 on: August 31, 2013, 03:05:56 PM »

I found that I have two almost identical long-sleeved t-shirts. They both have the same collage-type pattern on them, but one is a slightly different color, and they have two different manufacturers. So, no wonder I was fooled into buying both, I like the pattern and bought them at two different places, so I didn't remember I already had one like it. But there you go, that's how disorganized my wardrobe was.  :P

And, in my underwear drawer, I found $370 cash! I'm such a squirrel.  ::) That will take the bite out of buying the new, necessary clothes I realized I needed, once I'd cleared away all the unneeded stuff. 

WOO HOO. go you! I had the same issue with a tshirt, only they were exactly the same, aside from the color, and purchased at the store I work in. I knew they were similar in color, but until i actually put them side by side, i didn't realize just how close they were. So I kept the one I liked better, and donated the other. Even then I had to really think hard about doing it!

Wow - I've found $$ but never that much! 

Amara

« Reply #125 on: August 31, 2013, 04:17:17 PM »
For those of you with fabric and ribbon stashes you are reluctant to part with I thought I would share what I thought was a clever idea. One King's Lane is an online store that sells a lot of designer home decor (and jewelry) items that are being discounted. Today one of their categories showed a framed collection of fabric and ribbon pieces. Note: the link is only good for about three days.

https://www.onekingslane.com/product/25725/1323644

gmatoy

« Reply #126 on: August 31, 2013, 08:16:22 PM »
For those of you with fabric and ribbon stashes you are reluctant to part with I thought I would share what I thought was a clever idea. One King's Lane is an online store that sells a lot of designer home decor (and jewelry) items that are being discounted. Today one of their categories showed a framed collection of fabric and ribbon pieces. Note: the link is only good for about three days.

https://www.onekingslane.com/product/25725/1323644

Were you thinking of me?  ;D I loved that idea! I think that is going in my "Granddaughter needs to make a gift" file. Thank you!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #127 on: September 03, 2013, 10:44:50 AM »
And my decluttering is done! I was able to finish what I started a couple of weeks ago, while off for a week. I thought initially the LR closet just needed to be re-organized (I have a big walk-in in my bedroom, and this one, which is a decent size, but thatís it for storage). Was I ever wrong!  I managed to cull two boxes of books down to one, and I also got rid of a number of other things, including my grandmotherís sewing machine, which my mom wants to donate to her churchís annual sale, but I kind of think we might be able to sell it, and a number of other items. 

I also finally went through my papers, filed a bunch of stuff, shredded more, and added yet more to the bag to be shredded. I didnít quite manage the dusting and vacuuming, but thatís the easy part. I culled  bunch of DVDs too; I figure those that I have, but havenít watched I can either find with my Amazon Prime subscription, or pay to rent and stream.  I also brought a ton of cardboard to my complexís recycling area.  All thatís left if one more trip to Goodwill, and bringing a few items to work Iím giving a friend.  Wow. What a great feeling it is to be done!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #128 on: September 03, 2013, 09:10:04 PM »
I don't even want to discuss what I hauled out this weekend.  My garbage guys are probably still cussing me out.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #129 on: September 03, 2013, 09:20:10 PM »
I stuffed three huge bags with quilts, none of which have sentimental value but were someone's bedspread for a season.  DH wants them in storage; I agreed to that until next spring, then if we haven't used them, out they go to Goodwill.  We live in the South, not polar bear country.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #130 on: September 04, 2013, 02:41:44 AM »
Closet cleaning DONE! Had to come back and share. :) First of all, my wardrobe is 90% tops and only 10% bottoms. I have trouble finding bottoms I like. Even so I got rid of a couple bottoms that were quite worn or that I otherwise always bypass when I'm choosing clothes. I did order some new ones, but I considered that acceptable since I'd been putting it off and could use more.

Then I went through the tops. Three piles: sweaters, hoodies, long-sleeved t-shirts. I don't have a varied wardrobe. When I find something I like, I keep buying it. (Same with pajamas, siamesecat2965! I have way too many but they're so comfy...) I went through each pile and divided the items into smaller piles by color, so I had a better sense of what I had. In many cases it was easier to decide to get rid of stuff than I thought--I would uncover something and immediately think, "Oh, I love this! I want to wear this soon." And then other things, there would be this sort of awkward silence. "Oh. Hi. So, you're still here, huh?" Once I picked up something and thought, "You know, no one NEEDS a pink sweater." Like I could say, I should keep the black and the navy blue and the red, because those are kind of staples, but... I don't need THIS pink sweater.

Anyway, I filled five and a half bags with clothes to donate, plus a bag to trash, plus a bag of tote bags to donate. It's hard for me to imagine how they all fit in my closet before. I repacked the two Rubbermaid containers with stuff I really wanted to keep--some of it is seasonal stuff I'll be getting out pretty soon. I went through my drawers, too, and donated/threw out stuff. And, in my underwear drawer, I found $370 cash! I'm such a squirrel.  ::) That will take the bite out of buying the new, necessary clothes I realized I needed, once I'd cleared away all the unneeded stuff. Apparently I've been recycling the same few bras over and over again, and just thought I had a lot but mostly they were the wrong size.  ::)

So, victory is mine.  8)
Yay!  Don't you love the feeling of having accomplished such a task?  And yay for the windfall you found.  It reminded me that once in cleaning a drawer I found an envelope with $350 in it.  Someone had paid back a loan and I put it in my purse, then one day just emptied my purse into the drawer, being in a rush and too lazy to actually go through the stuff.  Think I'll clean the drawers tomorrow.  I need a new recliner and that would make a nice addition to that fund. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

shygirl

« Reply #131 on: September 04, 2013, 08:08:14 AM »
I'm moving next week, so I've slowly been going through all of our stuff and throwing things out or donating things.  I have to do it on the sly though, because if my husband knew everything I was donating, he would be upset.  He has some hoarding tendencies.

When we first met, about 10 years ago, he had a printer.  He still has that printer, and it doesn't work.  He refuses to throw it out, thinking someone will find it useful.  So I said "okay, give it to that person who will find a 10+ year old printer useful".  But, he has not given it away, probably because no one in their right mind would find a 10+ year old printer useful.  Usually, when something like this comes up, I just wait a year and get rid of the item, since he's long forgotten about it.  But, we've talked about this stupid printer so many times, he would definitely realize that it is missing.  Siiigh...so we're going to move an obsolete printer to the new house, where it will most definitely collect ever more dust.  I think he's just being stubborn about it now.

It would really be a shame if it somehow got lost during the move. >:D

So, interestingly, he did not move the printer to the new house.  When I went back to our old condo, to finish cleaning it up and get the last remnants of our stuff, I noticed that the printer was just sitting all by its lonesome in our basement storage unit.  He definitely had the opportunity and space to bring it with him, since he also made a few trips back to get stuff.  I'm guessing that since the moving process is so awful, he finally decided that moving a useless printer is not worth it.

I'm not going to mention it though.  Just leave it where it is, and if he still doesn't bring it over, I'll throw it out and NEVER SPEAK OF THE PRINTER AGAIN.

As an aside, oh my gosh, moving sucks.  And I don't even hold on to that much stuff that I don't use.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #132 on: September 04, 2013, 08:30:42 AM »
I'm moving next week, so I've slowly been going through all of our stuff and throwing things out or donating things.  I have to do it on the sly though, because if my husband knew everything I was donating, he would be upset.  He has some hoarding tendencies.

When we first met, about 10 years ago, he had a printer.  He still has that printer, and it doesn't work.  He refuses to throw it out, thinking someone will find it useful.  So I said "okay, give it to that person who will find a 10+ year old printer useful".  But, he has not given it away, probably because no one in their right mind would find a 10+ year old printer useful.  Usually, when something like this comes up, I just wait a year and get rid of the item, since he's long forgotten about it.  But, we've talked about this stupid printer so many times, he would definitely realize that it is missing.  Siiigh...so we're going to move an obsolete printer to the new house, where it will most definitely collect ever more dust.  I think he's just being stubborn about it now.

It would really be a shame if it somehow got lost during the move. >:D

So, interestingly, he did not move the printer to the new house.  When I went back to our old condo, to finish cleaning it up and get the last remnants of our stuff, I noticed that the printer was just sitting all by its lonesome in our basement storage unit.  He definitely had the opportunity and space to bring it with him, since he also made a few trips back to get stuff.  I'm guessing that since the moving process is so awful, he finally decided that moving a useless printer is not worth it.

I'm not going to mention it though.  Just leave it where it is, and if he still doesn't bring it over, I'll throw it out and NEVER SPEAK OF THE PRINTER AGAIN.

As an aside, oh my gosh, moving sucks.  And I don't even hold on to that much stuff that I don't use.

Yes it does. My decluttering started a few years back when I helped my mom move. Now she and my dad had already decluttered 30 years of stuff to move from NJ to VA, so this wasn't too bad, but she was doing it alone, and had packed away a lot of stuff in anticipation of selling her house. Which took 14 months.

So she was slightly less organized than she normally is, and i made umpteen trips between the two houses, and was exhausted at the end.  But it made me realize i needed to come home, and get rid of a lot of MY clutter. which I did, and still do. This last round got rid of the rest of the stuff that had been hanging around in corners etc.

Yay to the printer.  i agree with you; don't speak of it, and if its still there, out it goes!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #133 on: September 04, 2013, 10:16:22 AM »
I bought a new car last night.  I should be excited but I'm not; I'm totally stressed about money.  So I spent a good portion of last night, wide awake, doing a mental inventory of my possessions to figure out what I can sell.    ::)

The thing is, I have a good job, no dependents, not a huge amount on my mortgage and I'm on track to retire in 11 years when I'm first eligible.  Why is the money thing stressing me out??
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #134 on: September 04, 2013, 10:29:09 AM »
I bought a new car last night.  I should be excited but I'm not; I'm totally stressed about money.  So I spent a good portion of last night, wide awake, doing a mental inventory of my possessions to figure out what I can sell.    ::)

The thing is, I have a good job, no dependents, not a huge amount on my mortgage and I'm on track to retire in 11 years when I'm first eligible.  Why is the money thing stressing me out??

Money often equals security, and that tips it into emotional territory for a lot of people, I think. My friend just went through the process of buying a house with her husband--she grew up comfortable, he grew up always have to think about money and scrimp and save. She literally had an Excel file listing where all the money to buy this house would come from and how much they would still have after they bought it (a very comfortable amount by any objective standard), and even looking at the facts in black and white he couldn't bring himself to say the word "yes" for quite a while. It wasn't a rational decision at that point for him, but an emotional one--much like the keeping of stuff sometimes is. :) And thus it can't really be helped by rational methods. He just had to get himself to point where he could say "yes"--and even after that, he felt a lot of buyer's remorse until they were able to sell their previous house (which was only a couple of months). My friend felt bad for him, but realized there wasn't really anything she could do--it was just something he had to work through.
~Lynn2000