Author Topic: DECLUTTERING  (Read 40243 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: DECLUTTERING
« Reply #270 on: December 23, 2013, 10:05:31 AM »
My decluttering took a back seat to getting my nephew's sweater done for Christmas.  And moving snow.  But I have made inroads!  This weekend, I emptied my food cupboard and baking cupboard of stuff that's been there far too long and got the food that was on my kitchen table and overflow shelf into the cupboards.  And got the kitchen table and the side table cleared of most of the stuff by putting it on the overflow shelf.  The only thing on the side table right now is my Christmas cookie containers!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #271 on: December 23, 2013, 07:47:35 PM »
Today we spent cleaning the house in preparation for Christmas and I have to say, my husband is a star!  He cleans so thoroughly (compared to my often slap-dash and quit before your back hurts too much style).  He gets up to his elbows in cleaning and is right now doing the drain board and stuff, which looks fantastic.  I'm a lucky girl!   
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #272 on: January 23, 2014, 10:23:21 PM »
I went through the closet and all the coat hooks. All the coats were inspected and sorted. If no one is currently using but it will fit a younger child eventually it went to the back of the closet. If it was trashed it went to rags or garbage. It it was good but wouldn't fit anyone ever again it went to charity pile.

It's amazing how much room is now available.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Mrs S

« Reply #273 on: January 23, 2014, 10:49:51 PM »
The other weekend i went through all the kids toys. A friend of mine is having a giant toy garage sale to raise money for a charity, so i had a major cull and got rid of all the broken/baby toys (yay, no more babies in my house!)

Apparently i declutter better when I am hung over, I got rid of heaps more stuff than I normaly would.

Takeling my wardrobe this weekend.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #274 on: January 23, 2014, 11:15:18 PM »
Cleaning out our bedroom, which has become the family junk room :(.  Half the floor is picked up, and laundry picked up and sorted.  We're going to remodel this room come tax time and so I wanted to get a jump on it. 

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #275 on: January 23, 2014, 11:17:17 PM »
Three more boxes of clothes cleared out of my closet! I have to do a purge on a semi-regular basis as I keep losing weight. I've now cleared all the 14s and most of the 12s out of the closet. Make room for the 8s! :D 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #276 on: January 24, 2014, 09:05:37 AM »
I got a call a couple of weeks ago from a charity that will pick stuff up at your door step.  The pickup was scheduled for Wednesday.  I managed to put out a big bag of clothes, mostly turtlenecks.  Now that I'm having hot flashes, turtlenecks are an absolute no go for me.   :D

I also managed a small box and small bag of books.  I still have lots of books - I like to keep most of them - but there are some I know I'll never read again so out they went.

I have a set of bookshelves along one wall in my spare bedroom.  Once those shelves are full, if I want to add more books, I have to decide which of the ones on the shelves are going.  I've been buying a lot of ebooks lately so it'll probably be 2-3 more years before I'll have to make those decisions.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

oogyda

« Reply #277 on: January 24, 2014, 09:40:17 AM »
We bought new living room furniture!  To get rid of the old stuff (it was still in good shape...we just needed different stuff to fit the layout of the room), I called a charity that would pick it up.  Since they ask for a lot of household things, I went through my boxes and bins in the garage and managed to rearrange things and get rid of 2 boxes! 
We also donated a coffee table that was taking up room in the garage and an extremely uncomfortable sofa bed from Oogydh's office. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #278 on: January 24, 2014, 10:23:01 AM »
We bought new living room furniture!  To get rid of the old stuff (it was still in good shape...we just needed different stuff to fit the layout of the room), I called a charity that would pick it up.  Since they ask for a lot of household things, I went through my boxes and bins in the garage and managed to rearrange things and get rid of 2 boxes! 
We also donated a coffee table that was taking up room in the garage and an extremely uncomfortable sofa bed from Oogydh's office.
I'll bet that feels so freeing!  We have a small house and too much furniture.  Trouble is, everything is something I love, having inherited it from past generations or is a finding from a thrift store.  I'm a sucker for old tables.  OK, the computer table can go.  I don't exactly consider a 4 by 8 foot piece of plywood a treasure.  You sure can put a lot of junk unrelated to a computer on it though...from here I see pink bubble wrap, green dish washing gloves, a pot lid, an old pair of binoculars, a roll of toilet tissue lots of music CD's, empty pill bottles, 2 jars of  cough drops , a hot-cold pack, some gum, some books, on and on and on.    :-[
The computer table is actually nicely finished even to moulding around the edges, by my husband, and is mounted on two two drawer file cabinets. It does catch all though.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #279 on: January 24, 2014, 10:45:11 AM »
I need help with my decluttering.  We are doing the world's slowest move, which is great for decluttering.  I have a printer paper box stuffed full of pantyhose.  Most of them are still in the original packaging.  I haven't worn pantyhose in the last year.  But they are in the original packaging, and they weren't cheap.  Opinion?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #280 on: January 24, 2014, 10:58:35 AM »
I need help with my decluttering.  We are doing the world's slowest move, which is great for decluttering.  I have a printer paper box stuffed full of pantyhose.  Most of them are still in the original packaging.  I haven't worn pantyhose in the last year.  But they are in the original packaging, and they weren't cheap.  Opinion?

I would keep a couple pairs of each colour, if I thought I might wear them eventually, and sell the rest on Craigslist or donate them to a women's shelter.  If there are fancy ones with bling or lace or something, I might try to find a consignment store.
Ontario

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #281 on: January 24, 2014, 11:14:07 AM »

I've found with mine--which I grant you were certainly the cheap kind when I bought them--that the elastic breaks down, or something, as they get older, even if I haven't been wearing them. I had to wear some the other day, first time in years, and was shocked at how bad they were--I never would have kept them if they'd been that bad last time I wore them, so they must have deteriorated in the interim. Might be worth opening a couple of packages just to check that.

Also, check for avant-garde craft stores in your area. Okay, that sounded weird. :) But the other day in my town I found a store that has EVERYTHING, neatly organized, for crafts and other creative inspiration: bits of yarn and fabric, pop tabs, bowling statues that have been divided into parts (base, column, topper), glazed tiles, bubble wrap, those plastic rings that six-packs of pop cans come in, used notebooks, literally bits of plastic flotsam divided by color... They would probably love old pantyhose, even if it wasn't in great condition anymore, because people could use it creatively somehow instead of wearing it. If they came in the eggs they would definitely love those!!
~Lynn2000

SCMagnolia

« Reply #282 on: January 24, 2014, 11:41:08 AM »
I haven't worn pantyhose in the last year.  But they are in the original packaging, and they weren't cheap.  Opinion?

I can't remember the name of the charity right now (and it's going to drive me nuts all day until I DO remember it), but there is one that takes work-appropriate clothing for women that need clothes for job interviews and first jobs but can't otherwise afford it.  They may be interested since there are a lot of workplaces that haven't yet embraced the bare-legs-as-fashion thing.

Question for y'all....  What about CD's?  Do you keep them in the plastic cases or put them in those binders?  Every organizing blog I've read says to ditch the cases and buy those binders to put the CD's in.  I get that it saves room, but for some reason, I'm a little quirky and OCD about ditching all those cases, though they could probably be recycled.   And I teach dance lessons so I have a TON of CD's.  The saved space would be awesome, but still....  My OCD is making me twitch.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #283 on: January 24, 2014, 12:00:47 PM »
I haven't worn pantyhose in the last year.  But they are in the original packaging, and they weren't cheap.  Opinion?

I can't remember the name of the charity right now (and it's going to drive me nuts all day until I DO remember it), but there is one that takes work-appropriate clothing for women that need clothes for job interviews and first jobs but can't otherwise afford it.  They may be interested since there are a lot of workplaces that haven't yet embraced the bare-legs-as-fashion thing.

Question for y'all....  What about CD's?  Do you keep them in the plastic cases or put them in those binders?  Every organizing blog I've read says to ditch the cases and buy those binders to put the CD's in.  I get that it saves room, but for some reason, I'm a little quirky and OCD about ditching all those cases, though they could probably be recycled.   And I teach dance lessons so I have a TON of CD's.  The saved space would be awesome, but still....  My OCD is making me twitch.

Is this charity Dress for Success? (http://www.dressforsuccess.org/)

As for CDs, all mine are in binders and I've managed to break the majority of the jewel cases (not on purpose just because I'm me). But these look awesome and might make the twitching stop: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/collections/mediaStorage/cDsCassettes?productId=10030546

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #284 on: January 24, 2014, 12:03:09 PM »

I did this. I bought CD envelopes, and put both the liner notes and the CD in. And chucked the cases. I was able to get rid of two CD towers, which I replaces with one of those open cube shelf units. I put 3 of the CD cases in one square, and it takes up so much less room. And honestly, i don't miss the cases at all.  Maybe you could try a few, and keep the cases, and see how it goes. if you're ok with it, then do the rest.