Author Topic: DECLUTTERING  (Read 40318 times)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
Re: DECLUTTERING
« Reply #300 on: March 17, 2014, 09:36:09 AM »
I was going to go digging for this thread in a week or so, glad someone else bumped it! :) I am almost done reading my backlog of magazines and getting rid of them. I have another week's worth to go, and then they will all be gone. I have been working on this for over a year--I could have just thrown them all out right away, but I felt like I wouldn't learn anything from that, so instead I've been reading the magazines and tearing out only the articles I wanted to keep, then recycling the rest.

I feel good that I've (almost) accomplished this, and I think it's given me a certain discipline as well, so that I won't let the magazines pile up in the future. I actually really love magazines and look forward to subscribing to more once I get rid of these back issues, and I think I will now be more aware of them piling up and not let that happen (either by getting them read, or canceling the subscription faster).
~Lynn2000

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #301 on: March 20, 2014, 10:05:30 AM »
I am glad it got bumped, too, since my house is getting out of hand, again.  Especially the kitchen.  Ugh!  I want to plan a day to go over it from top to bottom and not only declutter but repaint the cabinet inside and out.  (I hate painting so maybe I can get DH to do that).
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

bloo

« Reply #302 on: March 20, 2014, 10:21:08 AM »
Thanks for starting this thread, Bijou! I just discovered it.

I ruthlessly decluttered my kitchen of all the tools that I haven't used in a year. I am not looking at the empty spaces with an itch to fill them. The empty spaces are quite calming to me.*

Artist William Morris said, "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful." I've personally amended that to "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful. Bonus if it's beautiful." Just my personal mantra that is setting me free in my own home.

I'm having a massive yard sale in May. My DH is getting rid of his/my hunting stuff, his ice fishing stuff and a few other things of his. I'm getting rid of my canning stuff, my wingadingdingy Francis book collection (in fact my entire library), all my unused kitchen tools (this is a massive amount of stuff), clothes I haven't worn in a year, office supplies unused for years, and actually the list could be endless.

*I think that's one of the reasons I enjoy looking at modern or transitional houses on www.Houzz.com so much. The clean, uncluttered lines are very peaceful. Houzz has a fun app for phones or tablets and I'm creating the most interesting ideabooks with it!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #303 on: March 20, 2014, 10:57:40 AM »
Thanks for starting this thread, Bijou! I just discovered it.

I ruthlessly decluttered my kitchen of all the tools that I haven't used in a year. I am not looking at the empty spaces with an itch to fill them. The empty spaces are quite calming to me.*

I need to do this as well. Its on "my list" I have one drawer, that came off the thingy that holds it in place, a good 2 years agao. have i called maintenance to have it fixed? NO! I keep saying once i go through the drawers, and empty the cabinet below, AND my hosue is clean, none of which seem to happen at the same time, i will.

As for magazines, i just chuck them if I haven't read them. I figure if they've been sitting for that long, i won't read them, so they need t ogo .

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #304 on: March 24, 2014, 12:34:57 PM »
I finished all the bins in the attic this weekend, up the one that younger child hasn't used yet. I have condensed all sizes of Newborn to 6X (about 11 bins) down to 4 bins total. And have 6 or 7 bins of clothes to donate. I made the mistake of letting youngest child see the larger ones and she was miffed at me giving away all her clothing. She felt better seeing I was keeping the fancy stuff.

Next I have to go through my closet again and get rid of stuff.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #305 on: March 24, 2014, 12:43:09 PM »
Something good came out of my cluttering efforts last week!  I tend to stockpile food.  Cans, boxes, etc....I'm a huge fan of warehouse stores.  I could probably eat well for months without having to buy staples.
So....a friend's co-worker's house burned down last week, and she was asking for donations.  None of my clothes fit the family, but I was able to go through my stockpile and give them a nice-sized box of food, including TP and tissues!    I feel so useful.

There are empty spaces slowly opening up in my apartment as I clean and declutter, though.  It's wonderful to see.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #306 on: March 24, 2014, 03:16:30 PM »
I am done with my magazine backlog!! Well, it's a little anticlimactic because I have a few new magazines that I haven't read yet, so I'm not letting myself subscribe to more until I finish those. The New Yorker has been quite good lately and rather hefty--it's a lot to read each week, much denser than my Entertainment Weekly for example. But the two new magazine subscriptions I want to start are monthly so they shouldn't really interfere. If I can't get them read within a month something is quite wrong.

Even just tearing out the few articles I really liked and want to keep, I'm getting quite the collection of random paper bits. I wonder if I should go through them and scan them, then throw the paper away. Then I think, duh, I could probably just go to the magazine's website and get a PDF of the article if I want to save it electronically. Would that be more trouble or less, I wonder.

And would I ever read them if they were electronic only? I have this idea that someday I could have binders with the paper articles that people could browse through, kind of like coffee table books (if I ever had room for such a thing). Maybe that is just silly, though.
~Lynn2000

Amara

« Reply #307 on: March 24, 2014, 03:23:02 PM »
The New Yorker is a great magazine but no matter how many times I've thought that I can do this--read it when it comes, then toss it--I fall behind. The last time it was almost three months, but I got to that "oh, I'll read it and next week's together" stage. I have learned my sad lesson. New Yorker = Clutter. And there's no way around that for me.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #308 on: March 24, 2014, 03:26:08 PM »
I am done with my magazine backlog!! Well, it's a little anticlimactic because I have a few new magazines that I haven't read yet, so I'm not letting myself subscribe to more until I finish those. The New Yorker has been quite good lately and rather hefty--it's a lot to read each week, much denser than my Entertainment Weekly for example. But the two new magazine subscriptions I want to start are monthly so they shouldn't really interfere. If I can't get them read within a month something is quite wrong.

Even just tearing out the few articles I really liked and want to keep, I'm getting quite the collection of random paper bits. I wonder if I should go through them and scan them, then throw the paper away. Then I think, duh, I could probably just go to the magazine's website and get a PDF of the article if I want to save it electronically. Would that be more trouble or less, I wonder.

And would I ever read them if they were electronic only? I have this idea that someday I could have binders with the paper articles that people could browse through, kind of like coffee table books (if I ever had room for such a thing). Maybe that is just silly, though.

I'v learned, through experience, i can save all the articles I want, but I have never once gone back and looked at them again. So I just don't keep any. and sometimes when my magazine pile gets too overloaded, I just chuck them, and honestly, never miss them.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #309 on: March 24, 2014, 03:27:26 PM »
I did a final, once and for all, cleaning of my closet yesterday. A couple of weeks ago, i went through all my summer stuff, and cleaned out a bunch and took it to Goodwill. This time I did what was hanging (one large walk-in that holds all my stuff) and pulled out what doens't or hasn't been worn, and I also got rid of a lot of stuff that is now too large. I don't ever plan on being that size again, so its gone too. What an awesome feeling!

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #310 on: March 24, 2014, 03:31:56 PM »

I'v learned, through experience, i can save all the articles I want, but I have never once gone back and looked at them again. So I just don't keep any. and sometimes when my magazine pile gets too overloaded, I just chuck them, and honestly, never miss them.

Yeah, I kind of wonder about that myself. I think I will have to sit down and go through the "saved" articles, and see if I'm still interested in them, or if I can't even remember what I was thinking when I tore them out. If I can even pare down the pile that would help a lot.

I am really committed to getting all the new magazines read from now on! But we'll see. I think the key is to be more aware of my previous failure, and cut myself off earlier if it looks like it's repeating itself. I mean, I literally had YEARS of back issues, which is just nonsense. I should have cut myself off after ONE year, if not sooner.

Now, about all the blank notebooks and stuffed animals I've accumulated instead...  :-\
~Lynn2000

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #311 on: March 24, 2014, 03:35:37 PM »

Yeah, I kind of wonder about that myself. I think I will have to sit down and go through the "saved" articles, and see if I'm still interested in them, or if I can't even remember what I was thinking when I tore them out. If I can even pare down the pile that would help a lot.

I am really committed to getting all the new magazines read from now on! But we'll see. I think the key is to be more aware of my previous failure, and cut myself off earlier if it looks like it's repeating itself. I mean, I literally had YEARS of back issues, which is just nonsense. I should have cut myself off after ONE year, if not sooner.

Now, about all the blank notebooks and stuffed animals I've accumulated instead...  :-\

I;ve cut back on my subscriptions too. i just never read them, so i figured wy bother? I have one left, and when that's done, that's it. I barely have time to get the important stuff done, let alone fun stuff like that  ;D

bloo

« Reply #312 on: March 25, 2014, 10:49:32 AM »

I;ve cut back on my subscriptions too. i just never read them, so i figured wy bother? I have one left, and when that's done, that's it. I barely have time to get the important stuff done, let alone fun stuff like that  ;D

You are not kidding!

I used to love Reader's Digest as a kid so my mom gifted me with a subscription and I was disappointed with the magazine in it's current format. Same with Better Homes & Gardens. So I subscribed to Taste of Home but I think I'll even let that lapse since all the recipes can be accessed online. In other words, I will pay to subscribe to that online but that's it for magazines. I'm done.

Throwing out that stuff feels like throwing out important information. So I just need to keep my library online. Less clutter that way.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #313 on: March 25, 2014, 11:09:07 AM »

You are not kidding!

I used to love Reader's Digest as a kid so my mom gifted me with a subscription and I was disappointed with the magazine in it's current format. Same with Better Homes & Gardens. 
Throwing out that stuff feels like throwing out important information. So I just need to keep my library online. Less clutter that way.

Oh me too! My grandmother had stacks of them she kept, back in th 70's, and I'd read them whenever we were there (only child, and nothing on the 6 tv stations we got back then when we were there) so the adults would talk, and I'd sit quietly in the LR and read them over and over. I hate it now. its terrible.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #314 on: March 25, 2014, 03:39:07 PM »

You are not kidding!

I used to love Reader's Digest as a kid so my mom gifted me with a subscription and I was disappointed with the magazine in it's current format. Same with Better Homes & Gardens. 

Oh me too! My grandmother had stacks of them she kept, back in th 70's, and I'd read them whenever we were there (only child, and nothing on the 6 tv stations we got back then when we were there) so the adults would talk, and I'd sit quietly in the LR and read them over and over. I hate it now. its terrible.

Yes, I fondly remembered Reader's Digest and recently subscribed to it for a year. It seemed much less substantial to me now, focusing heavily on feel good human interest stories--kind of like People Magazine but smaller, and no celebrities. I think I only ripped out a couple of articles from the entire year to save. I have really enjoyed subscribing to various magazines to just one year--I don't know why I had it in my head that I had to commit to the magazine for life or something, I think that's how I got so many back issues piling up.  :P
~Lynn2000