Author Topic: DECLUTTERING  (Read 39738 times)

bloo

Re: DECLUTTERING
« Reply #345 on: May 12, 2014, 08:47:11 PM »
Those hoarding type shows get me off of my duff to chuck stuff out. I'm minimizing for a few reasons. I don't plan on living in this big drafty house for more than 3 years. Maybe less. We've winnowed down the hobbies and all the detritus that goes with it. It feels lighter. It will be easier for us to move if we're already reducing our stuff right now and trying hard not to accumulate more.

Just had a yard sale last week and cleared $1000. It felt good to get a bit of money (compared to what we paid for those things). It felt great to get rid of the stuff we weren't using.

Also, I keep thinking about what I would grab in the event of a cataclysmic emergency. What would be important to me?

My loved ones. That's it. It makes it easier for me to let go of things I don't currently use.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #346 on: May 12, 2014, 08:50:56 PM »
THAT is an impressive yard sale!

I'm hoping to be posting in this thread soon.  I have a room I call my 'hoarder' room.  It has all sorts of stuff in it right now that needs to be put away, filed, sold, donated or tossed.  I had a call from one of the charities that will come around and pick up household articles which they sell to Value Village to raise money for the charity.  So if I can get a box or two filled by the time the pickup rolls around (I think it is next week), that would be great.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #347 on: May 12, 2014, 11:39:09 PM »
For things you can't bear to part with:  Don Aslett has what he calls an "emotion withdrawal box" for things like that.  Pack them in a box, date the box 6 months in the future, and leave them alone.  If after six months you still can't let them go, then give them another six months.  After awhile you'll find that you can let them go.  Another thing you could do is look through them, find a few pictures, etc. that are decent (not moldy), cut them out, paste them in your picture album, and get rid of the books. 

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #348 on: May 13, 2014, 08:55:31 AM »
For things you can't bear to part with:  Don Aslett has what he calls an "emotion withdrawal box" for things like that.  Pack them in a box, date the box 6 months in the future, and leave them alone.  If after six months you still can't let them go, then give them another six months.  After awhile you'll find that you can let them go.  Another thing you could do is look through them, find a few pictures, etc. that are decent (not moldy), cut them out, paste them in your picture album, and get rid of the books.

Not a box, but this has worked for me in the past. I'll do a closet purge, and sometimes keep things I may think I'll wear. After that season, I'll do it again, when in the purging frame of mind, and much of what I wNted to keep goes. I do that with other stuff as well. If I'm in the purging mode, I find it easier to get rid of stuff, and most of the time, once it's gone, I don't even remember having it!

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #349 on: May 13, 2014, 10:31:25 AM »
I also prefer to purge in stages. I'll go through the same box of stuff several times over the years, and each time find myself getting rid of a little more.

I also find that digitizing, or saving a little bit of something, can help me get rid of the bulk of the physical objects. For example, one could lay out a bunch of books and take a photo of them, or record their titles in a Word file, or tear off a couple covers to keep (if the books are moldy and were going to be trashed anyway).
~Lynn2000

demarco

« Reply #350 on: May 13, 2014, 01:22:56 PM »
I'm minimizing for a few reasons. I don't plan on living in this big drafty house for more than 3 years. Maybe less. We've winnowed down the hobbies and all the detritus that goes with it. It feels lighter. It will be easier for us to move if we're already reducing our stuff right now and trying hard not to accumulate more.

I hear you!

We may be relocating when DH retires in a few years. I keep thinking that all the decluttering I can accomplish now will really pay off if and when we make the big move. The last thing you want to do when moving is purge at the last minute because bad mistakes will be made.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #351 on: May 20, 2014, 01:15:38 PM »
More decluttering is happening in my apartment!!  I bought a new set of shelves that fit better in the spare room closet, so I pulled everything out of there and put the new shelves in.  Yay, they fit perfectly!  In the process, I noticed a great deal of empty boxes - yes, I save them for mailing stuff, but honestly, how many do I need??  So most of them went out to the dumpster.

On a roll now, I put another appliance box in the hard-to-access closet behind the bedroom door, and then I noticed a couple of huge Dell boxes in the bottom corner.  Hey! I haven't owned a Dell for years!  So out that all comes, and suddenly I have room all over the place!! I can store more stuff in the closets so there's more room in the apartment! 

Then I managed to Freecycle my old VCR and a whole box of VHS tapes to go along with it.   Even MORE space! 

I'm a little giddy about this.   

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #352 on: May 20, 2014, 02:04:12 PM »
More decluttering is happening in my apartment!!  I bought a new set of shelves that fit better in the spare room closet, so I pulled everything out of there and put the new shelves in.  Yay, they fit perfectly!  In the process, I noticed a great deal of empty boxes - yes, I save them for mailing stuff, but honestly, how many do I need??  So most of them went out to the dumpster.

On a roll now, I put another appliance box in the hard-to-access closet behind the bedroom door, and then I noticed a couple of huge Dell boxes in the bottom corner.  Hey! I haven't owned a Dell for years!  So out that all comes, and suddenly I have room all over the place!! I can store more stuff in the closets so there's more room in the apartment! 

Then I managed to Freecycle my old VCR and a whole box of VHS tapes to go along with it.   Even MORE space! 

I'm a little giddy about this.   

I feel the same way! when a lot of clutter is gone, and I have more space to store things more efficiently, it makes me happy. I need to go home tonight and finish putting stuff away, etc. from my trip last week.

Amara

« Reply #353 on: May 20, 2014, 02:28:57 PM »
I am not finished cleaning out my books but nearly there. I'll finish up after work and am, to my surprise, quite excited about getting them all out of the house and having relatively few left. The living room bookshelves will be filled but almost nothing else. I have to say I really never expected this of myself so I am very pleased. :)

What is most exciting is that a bookstore owner in town is coming by around 6:30 this evening to buy them. While I know he won't take them all I am in hopes he buys most of them. The balance will go straight to the thrift store.

I won't stop reading but from now on it's buy or borrow, read and let go. I won't go the e-reader route; tried that once, hated it. But I can now have an even more minimalist home without those now unneeded bookshelves (that will go up on CL).

lilfox

« Reply #354 on: May 20, 2014, 04:13:06 PM »
I forget if I posted this before but I was able to donate about a dozen large trash bags full of baby clothes a few months ago, most to Goodwill and some to a friend for their new baby.  It really opened up some attic space!  I'm about ready with the next batch of outgrown clothes from DD and DS, but not quite - still have to sort through to see if anything makes the "special enough to save" bin.

I organized my craft space into a cubby system and turned the cheap ugly plastic 3-drawer bin that previously held craft stuff into a wrapping station.  I didn't get rid of much in terms of volume (yarn odds and ends, fabric scraps with no purpose), but the way things are set up now looks far less cluttered and haphazard since everything is tucked away in drawers or fabric bins.

I love organizing but sometimes it's hard to admit when an organizing system just isn't working.  I haven't found a good one for the kitchen utensil drawer.  I keep trying to organize by function, but things just end up put wherever they physically fit.  I suppose thinning out the items is probably the best answer...

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #355 on: May 20, 2014, 08:31:01 PM »
I forget if I posted this before but I was able to donate about a dozen large trash bags full of baby clothes a few months ago, most to Goodwill and some to a friend for their new baby.  It really opened up some attic space!  I'm about ready with the next batch of outgrown clothes from DD and DS, but not quite - still have to sort through to see if anything makes the "special enough to save" bin.

I organized my craft space into a cubby system and turned the cheap ugly plastic 3-drawer bin that previously held craft stuff into a wrapping station.  I didn't get rid of much in terms of volume (yarn odds and ends, fabric scraps with no purpose), but the way things are set up now looks far less cluttered and haphazard since everything is tucked away in drawers or fabric bins.

I love organizing but sometimes it's hard to admit when an organizing system just isn't working.  I haven't found a good one for the kitchen utensil drawer.  I keep trying to organize by function, but things just end up put wherever they physically fit.  I suppose thinning out the items is probably the best answer...

That was my worst area.  Thinning out is first!  Get rid of duplicates, oddball measuring cups, obscure things you never use.  Then, I took an old canister and used it to hold wooden spoons, spatulas, things I would use while cooking.  Third, I took some small plastic tubs (like Rubbermaid) and sorted what was left by size. 

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #356 on: May 21, 2014, 01:56:27 AM »
I decluttered one of my kitchen cabinets. I now have FOUR sizes of plastic tub with lid. Just four. They all stack nicely. All the other plastic boxes of varying sizes have found a new home with my father who can't eat ice-cream fast enough to get plastic boxes for use these days (ice-cream here often comes in plastic boxes with a lid).  Okay, I feel guilty that I am getting rid of perfectly serviceable plastic boxes and that I bought NEW plastic boxes when I had lots already, but it is very nice to be able to open the cupboard and rotate the shelf without having a landslide of tupperware.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #357 on: May 21, 2014, 09:24:47 AM »
I recently decluttered my plastic containers. I had some I bought, throwaway and some not, plus some from various take out meals i never used. those went, and some of the older throwaway ones went, so now I have a manageable supply.

I also went through my utensils and got rid of a lot i simply don't use. Its amazing how many you accumulate. i also had a bunch of "vintage" stuff i got from my mom, and some had been my grandmothers, which I took down to my mom. Its her problem now. hehehe - i figured I'd give her first crack at them, and then she can donate them as she chooses.

Amara

« Reply #358 on: May 21, 2014, 09:33:14 AM »
A side benefit of decluttering: money. I received a check for $650 last night for the books the local bookstore owner bought from me. And he is recommending someone here he knows and trusts who sells books only online who might take a bunch more that he couldn't use. The possibility of even more money--yay!

Anything left over will go to my favorite thrift store. And given how my various bookcases look I will be giving away at least two of them once the books are out of my house. Win-win-win!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #359 on: May 21, 2014, 01:12:59 PM »
A side benefit of decluttering: money. I received a check for $650 last night for the books the local bookstore owner bought from me. And he is recommending someone here he knows and trusts who sells books only online who might take a bunch more that he couldn't use. The possibility of even more money--yay!

Anything left over will go to my favorite thrift store. And given how my various bookcases look I will be giving away at least two of them once the books are out of my house. Win-win-win!

I have several small bookcases scattered throughout my apt, and have managed to get rid of a lot of physical books, by getting them on my Kindle. I am so much happier now that I've done that, and have less clutter on my shelves. I have one pretty large one I may try and get rid of altogether alhtough my mom I think wants it, and i don't know if can/want to schelp it 400 miles in the car.